64 bit java?

Adam Stouffer
Is there a 64 bit version of java available? Everything apt-cache
returns doesn't say anything about 64 or 32 bits. I tried getting
IBM's jre but the installer bombs out.

Adam

Re: 64 bit java?

Simon Richter-2
Hi Adam,

On 28.03.2017 02:13, Adam Stouffer wrote:

> Is there a 64 bit version of java available? Everything apt-cache
> returns doesn't say anything about 64 or 32 bits. I tried getting
> IBM's jre but the installer bombs out.

The "powerpc" architecture should have 32 bit java, the "ppc64" and
"ppc64le" architectures should have 64 bit Java. You can use
Multiarch[1] if you want to have a version that doesn't match the rest
of the system.

   Simon

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

Re: 64 bit java?

Adam Stouffer
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 3:05 AM, Simon Richter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The "powerpc" architecture should have 32 bit java, the "ppc64" and
> "ppc64le" architectures should have 64 bit Java. You can use
> Multiarch[1] if you want to have a version that doesn't match the rest
> of the system.
>
>    Simon
>
> [1] https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

Simon, I'm running ppc64 and the java binary is 32 bit.

tesla@enid:~$ uname -a
Linux enid 3.16.0-4-powerpc64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1+deb8u2
(2017-03-07) ppc64 GNU/Linux

tesla@enid:~$ file /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-powerpc/jre/bin/java
/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-powerpc/jre/bin/java: ELF 32-bit MSB
executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
linked, interpreter /lib/ld.so.1, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32,
BuildID[sha1]=84b7f9672614e3388199c054daf4a27ee599850f, stripped

Is there a 64 bit build?

Adam

Re: 64 bit java?

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi Adam!

On 03/28/2017 11:25 PM, Adam Stouffer wrote:
> Simon, I'm running ppc64 and the java binary is 32 bit.
>
> tesla@enid:~$ uname -a
> Linux enid 3.16.0-4-powerpc64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.39-1+deb8u2
> (2017-03-07) ppc64 GNU/Linux

That's the architecture of your kernel. If your machine is capable of running
64-bit code, debian-installer will install a 64-bit kernel. Your userland, i.e.
all applications, are still 32-bit.

See the output of:

        $ dpkg --print-architecture

> Is there a 64 bit build?

You need to add ppc64 as a Multi-Arch architecture by adding the following
line to your sources.list:

deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main
deb [arch=ppc64] http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd/ unstable main
deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main

All other deb lines (not deb-src lines) need to have [arch=powerpc] added.

Then install the debian-ports-archive-keyring package and run:

        # dpkg --add-architecture ppc64

Then:

        # apt update
        # apt install openjdk-8-jre:ppc64 openjdk-8-jdk:ppc64

You could also install Debian for ppc64 natively. But my ppc64 patch
for debian-installaer has not been merged yet, unfortunately [1]. So
we cannot build d-i for ppc64 at the moment, unfortunately.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: 64 bit java?

Adam Stouffer
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:37 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adam!
>

> That's the architecture of your kernel. If your machine is capable of running
> 64-bit code, debian-installer will install a 64-bit kernel. Your userland, i.e.
> all applications, are still 32-bit.
>
> See the output of:
>
>         $ dpkg --print-architecture
>
>> Is there a 64 bit build?
>
> You need to add ppc64 as a Multi-Arch architecture by adding the following
> line to your sources.list:
>
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd/ unstable main
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main
>
> All other deb lines (not deb-src lines) need to have [arch=powerpc] added.
>
> Then install the debian-ports-archive-keyring package and run:
>
>         # dpkg --add-architecture ppc64
>
> Then:
>
>         # apt update

Ok so far so good. Here is where I run into a problem.

W: Failed to fetch
http://security.debian.org/dists/jessie/updates/InRelease  Unable to
find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release file
(Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

W: Failed to fetch
http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease
Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release
file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

W: Failed to fetch   Unable to find expected entry
'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry
or malformed file)

The (In)Release files don't have listings for ppc64 packages, only
ppc64el. I found two mirrors with those listings and edited the
sources.list file. However it's still looking in the wrong place.

W: Failed to fetch
http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease
 Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release
file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

That InRelease file has no ppc64/Packages listing but this Release
file does http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian-ports/debian/dists/sid/Release

A bit confused at the moment...

Re: 64 bit java?

Christian Zigotzky
Have you already added [arch=powerpc] to the other deb lines? (not deb-src lines)

-- Christian

Sent from my iPhone

> On 29 Mar 2017, at 01:55, Adam Stouffer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:37 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Adam!
>>

>> That's the architecture of your kernel. If your machine is capable of running
>> 64-bit code, debian-installer will install a 64-bit kernel. Your userland, i.e.
>> all applications, are still 32-bit.
>>
>> See the output of:
>>
>>        $ dpkg --print-architecture
>>
>>> Is there a 64 bit build?
>>
>> You need to add ppc64 as a Multi-Arch architecture by adding the following
>> line to your sources.list:
>>
>> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main
>> deb [arch=ppc64] http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd/ unstable main
>> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main
>>
>> All other deb lines (not deb-src lines) need to have [arch=powerpc] added.
>>
>> Then install the debian-ports-archive-keyring package and run:
>>
>>        # dpkg --add-architecture ppc64
>>
>> Then:
>>
>>        # apt update
>
> Ok so far so good. Here is where I run into a problem.
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://security.debian.org/dists/jessie/updates/InRelease  Unable to
> find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release file
> (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease
> Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release
> file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
>
> W: Failed to fetch   Unable to find expected entry
> 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry
> or malformed file)
>
> The (In)Release files don't have listings for ppc64 packages, only
> ppc64el. I found two mirrors with those listings and edited the
> sources.list file. However it's still looking in the wrong place.
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease
> Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release
> file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
>
> That InRelease file has no ppc64/Packages listing but this Release
> file does http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian-ports/debian/dists/sid/Release
>
> A bit confused at the moment...

Re: 64 bit java?

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Most likely not. His error message is the exact error message one would get with these specifiers missing.

ppc64 and powerpc packages are on different FTP servers, hence the arch specifiers are necessary.

Adrian

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Christian Zigotzky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Have you already added [arch=powerpc] to the other deb lines? (not deb-src lines)
>
> -- Christian
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 29 Mar 2017, at 01:55, Adam Stouffer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:37 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Adam!
>>>

>>> That's the architecture of your kernel. If your machine is capable of running
>>> 64-bit code, debian-installer will install a 64-bit kernel. Your userland, i.e.
>>> all applications, are still 32-bit.
>>>
>>> See the output of:
>>>
>>>       $ dpkg --print-architecture

>>> You need to add ppc64 as a Multi-Arch architecture by adding the following
>>> line to your sources.list:
>>>
>>> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main
>>> deb [arch=ppc64] http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd/ unstable main
>>> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main
>>>
>>> All other deb lines (not deb-src lines) need to have [arch=powerpc] added.
>>>
>>> Then install the debian-ports-archive-keyring package and run:
>>>
>>>       # dpkg --add-architecture ppc64
>>>
>>> Then:
>>>
>>>       # apt update
>>
>> Ok so far so good. Here is where I run into a problem.
>>
>> W: Failed to fetch
>> http://security.debian.org/dists/jessie/updates/InRelease  Unable to
>> find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release file
>> (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
>>
>> W: Failed to fetch
>> http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease
>> Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release
>> file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
>>
>> W: Failed to fetch   Unable to find expected entry
>> 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry
>> or malformed file)
>>
>> The (In)Release files don't have listings for ppc64 packages, only
>> ppc64el. I found two mirrors with those listings and edited the
>> sources.list file. However it's still looking in the wrong place.
>>
>> W: Failed to fetch
>> http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease
>> Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release
>> file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
>>
>> That InRelease file has no ppc64/Packages listing but this Release
>> file does http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian-ports/debian/dists/sid/Release
>>
>> A bit confused at the moment...

Re: 64 bit java?

Adam Stouffer
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 3:04 AM, Christian Zigotzky
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Have you already added [arch=powerpc] to the other deb lines? (not deb-src lines)
>
> -- Christian

Yes, here is my sources.list

#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.7.1 _Jessie_ - Official powerpc NETINST Binary-1
 20170116-11:54]/ jessie main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.7.1 _Jessie_ - Official powerpc NETINST Binary-1
20170116-11:54]/ jessie main

deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/ jessie main
deb-src http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/ jessie main

deb [arch=ppc64] http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb [arch=ppc64] http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian/ jessie-updates m
ain
deb-src http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian/ jessie-updates main

deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main
deb [arch=ppc64] http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd/ unstable main
deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main

I also ran "dpkg --add-architecture ppc64" again and get the same results.

http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/dists/jessie/Release  Unable to find
expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong
sources.list entry or malformed file)

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

The entries its looking for do not exist in the Release files.

Re: 64 bit java?

Lennart Sorensen
On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 09:57:25AM -0400, Adam Stouffer wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 3:04 AM, Christian Zigotzky
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Have you already added [arch=powerpc] to the other deb lines? (not deb-src lines)
> >
> > -- Christian
>
> Yes, here is my sources.list
>
> #
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.7.1 _Jessie_ - Official powerpc NETINST Binary-1
>  20170116-11:54]/ jessie main
>
> #deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.7.1 _Jessie_ - Official powerpc NETINST Binary-1
> 20170116-11:54]/ jessie main
>
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/ jessie main
> deb-src http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/ jessie main
>
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main

Those two have to be arch=powerpc

There is no ppc64 on those servers.

> # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian/ jessie-updates m
> ain
> deb-src http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian/ jessie-updates main

That one too should be powerpc not ppc64.

> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd/ unstable main
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main
>
> I also ran "dpkg --add-architecture ppc64" again and get the same results.
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://security.debian.org/dists/jessie/updates/InRelease  Unable to
> find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release file
> (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian/dists/jessie-updates/InRelease
>  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release
> file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/dists/jessie/Release  Unable to find
> expected entry 'main/binary-ppc64/Packages' in Release file (Wrong
> sources.list entry or malformed file)
>
> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
>
> The entries its looking for do not exist in the Release files.

Len Sorensen

Re: 64 bit java?

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 03/29/2017 03:57 PM, Adam Stouffer wrote:

> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/ jessie main
> deb-src http://ftp-nyc.osuosl.org/debian/ jessie main
>
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
>
> # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian/ jessie-updates m
> ain
> deb-src http://mirror.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/debian/ jessie-updates main

All lines with "[arch=ppc64]" here are incorrect. Those have to be "[arch=powerpc]".

> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unstable main
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd/ unstable main
> deb [arch=ppc64] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/ unreleased main

Those lines are correct.

> The entries its looking for do not exist in the Release files.

Well, you wrote "ppc64" where you were supposed to write "powerpc".

Also, you *MUST* upgrade this machine to unstable before you can install
openjdk-8-* for ppc64. Otherwise lots of stuff will break.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz