A Ghost in the Computer

Stephen P. Molnar
Perhaps this is not the appropriate forum for this problem but the
Debian List has been an invaluable resource over the years. I happen to
be a Chemist and although I've been using computers in my work since the
1960's, I am not a computer person, only a user.

I am running Debian Stretch on my main computer.  I have an AMDFX-8320
Eight-Core Processor on a ASUS MSAR2.0 Moptherboard and 8GB of running
XFCE4.  I an encountering a rather odd problem for which I have no
explanation.

If I have more that three or four apps open at one time, all of the
non-active windows will pop open at random and predictable times with
the result that no one window will be useable, unless I close every app
that's open.

This performance is rather annoying and rather disruptive.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.          Life is a fuzzy set
www.molecular-modeling.net        Stochastic and multivariate
Skype:  smolnar1

Re: A Ghost in the Computer

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 09:51:51AM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> Perhaps this is not the appropriate forum for this problem but the Debian
> List has been an invaluable resource over the years. I happen to be a
> Chemist and although I've been using computers in my work since the 1960's,
> I am not a computer person, only a user.
>
> I am running Debian Stretch on my main computer.  I have an AMDFX-8320
> Eight-Core Processor on a ASUS MSAR2.0 Moptherboard and 8GB of running
> XFCE4.  I an encountering a rather odd problem for which I have no
> explanation.
>
> If I have more that three or four apps open at one time, all of the
> non-active windows will pop open at random and predictable times with the
> result that no one window will be useable, unless I close every app that's
> open.
>
> This performance is rather annoying and rather disruptive.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

That seems very odd.  Have you run memtest86+ on the system?  I have a
sneaking suspicion that you might be dealing with some bad memory.

My recommendation is to boot from a CD or USB, as that allows memtest86+
to perform a more thorough check.

Regards,

-Roberto

Roberto C. Sánchez

Re: A Ghost in the Computer

Kent West

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 8:52 AM Stephen P. Molnar <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I have more that three or four apps open at one time, all of the
non-active windows will pop open at random and predictable times with
the result that no one window will be useable, unless I close every app
that's open.

 - sticking keys on keyboard generating some sort of keyboard shortcut to show all windows?

- hotspot on your screen to show all windows?

- glitch in your DE? Try a different Desktop Environment (Icewm instead of Gnome, etc).

Kent West                    <")))><

Re: A Ghost in the Computer

mick crane
On 2019-05-11 14:51, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> Perhaps this is not the appropriate forum for this problem but the
> Debian List has been an invaluable resource over the years. I happen
> to be a Chemist and although I've been using computers in my work
> since the 1960's, I am not a computer person, only a user.
>
> I am running Debian Stretch on my main computer.  I have an AMDFX-8320
> Eight-Core Processor on a ASUS MSAR2.0 Moptherboard and 8GB of running
> XFCE4.  I an encountering a rather odd problem for which I have no
> explanation.
>
> If I have more that three or four apps open at one time, all of the
> non-active windows will pop open at random and predictable times with
> the result that no one window will be useable, unless I close every
> app that's open.
>
> This performance is rather annoying and rather disruptive.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
as a wild shot in the dark I would try with another mouse to rule that
out.
mick
Key ID    4BFEBB31

Re: A Ghost in the Computer

Gene Heskett-4
On Saturday 11 May 2019 09:51:51 am Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> Perhaps this is not the appropriate forum for this problem but the
> Debian List has been an invaluable resource over the years. I happen
> to be a Chemist and although I've been using computers in my work
> since the 1960's, I am not a computer person, only a user.
>
> I am running Debian Stretch on my main computer.  I have an AMDFX-8320
> Eight-Core Processor on a ASUS MSAR2.0 Moptherboard and 8GB of running
> XFCE4.  I an encountering a rather odd problem for which I have no
> explanation.
>
> If I have more that three or four apps open at one time, all of the
> non-active windows will pop open at random and predictable times with
> the result that no one window will be useable, unless I close every
> app that's open.
>
> This performance is rather annoying and rather disruptive.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

XFCE4 will I believe, let you expand its default 4 workspaces, each of
which is a separate process. That may help by making each process asking
for help, to open that requester on its own workspace. It will still do
that, but hopefully won't bother you on a different workspace/screen.
But some apps can be piggish about it so its not bulletproof.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)