A couple things yet on stretch install, amd64 version

A couple things yet on stretch install, amd64 version

Gene Heskett-4
Greetings all;

I have rebooted quite a few times as I have moved a few things out
of /e/rc.local to ~/gene/.trinity/Autostart one at a time & rebooting to
test. I looks like mail has stopped but thats happened frequently at my
ISP, then they dump 26 msgs into my folder and give the
fetchmail/procmail/clamav and spamassassin a nice warmup.

I have N-M disabled, spamassassin enabled, fetchmail and mailwatcher
started from the Autostart dir, and 181 processes reduced to the low
120's according to htop.

One of the useless things still running is some sort of an spi buss, but
this motherboard has no such hardware.  I can kill it with htop, but how
do I remove it totally. From a seaarch in synaptic, it has nothing to do
with Asistive Technology Service Provider Interface.

So whats it good for for me?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

On Wednesday 29 May 2019 07:57:32 pm Nicholas Geovanis wrote:

> Serial Peripheral Interface.

That, Nicholas, isn't how the docs I able to find read, and from which I
copy/pasted the phrasing quoted below.  The at_spi has nothing to do
with an armlike Seriel Peripheral Interface that doesn't exist on any
x86 board in my possession.

This may be something related to or used by brltty. synaptic won't let me
remove it, too many dependencies.

wrote:

> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have rebooted quite a few times as I have moved a few things out
> > of /e/rc.local to ~/gene/.trinity/Autostart one at a time &
> > rebooting to test. I looks like mail has stopped but thats happened
> > frequently at my ISP, then they dump 26 msgs into my folder and give
> > the
> > fetchmail/procmail/clamav and spamassassin a nice warmup.
> >
> > I have N-M disabled, spamassassin enabled, fetchmail and mailwatcher
> > started from the Autostart dir, and 181 processes reduced to the low
> > 120's according to htop.
> >
> > One of the useless things still running is some sort of an spi buss,

> > but this motherboard has no such hardware.  I can kill it with htop,
> > but how do I remove it totally. From a seaarch in synaptic, it has
> > nothing to do with Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface.
correction: to do with Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface.
no "nothing", my bad.

> > So whats it good for for me?

I may have plastic eyes but I certainly don't need a braille interface.
So I don't see as its useful for anything I do.

So I still need to stop/disable it. Killed it with htop, we'll see what
else dies. But while htop can see it, its not in /etc/init.d nor in a
systemctl display.  So whats starting it? Enquiring minds want to know.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: A couple things yet on stretch install, amd64 version

Nicholas Geovanis-2
Your first email called it "Serial busses of some kind" and you didn't type "at-spi". Contrary to you 2 sentences later, at-spi is indeed for Assistive Technologies, Service Provider Interface, an API for Assistive desktops. So quite possibly you want to keep it around. I would suggest looking at desktop startup to disable it.
Serial Peripheral Interface chips, which was my first cut answer, are present on basically every motherboard, ARM or otherwise. Some even use them for CPU-RAM transfer.

On Wed, May 29, 2019, 11:13 PM Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wednesday 29 May 2019 07:57:32 pm Nicholas Geovanis wrote:

> Serial Peripheral Interface.

That, Nicholas, isn't how the docs I able to find read, and from which I
copy/pasted the phrasing quoted below.  The at_spi has nothing to do
with an armlike Seriel Peripheral Interface that doesn't exist on any
x86 board in my possession.

This may be something related to or used by brltty. synaptic won't let me
remove it, too many dependencies.

> Could be any number of devices on your
> SPI buses: temp sensors, LCD on the panel, EEPROM, etc. Far as
> disabling it goes, my recollection is that AMDs use CPU throttling
> unless you disable that, for example. I bet that's reading temps from
> the SPI buses. What happens if you stop SPI then? Well, computer
> science can be
> experimental.....
>
> On Wed, May 29, 2019, 6:34 PM Gene Heskett <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have rebooted quite a few times as I have moved a few things out
> > of /e/rc.local to ~/gene/.trinity/Autostart one at a time &
> > rebooting to test. I looks like mail has stopped but thats happened
> > frequently at my ISP, then they dump 26 msgs into my folder and give
> > the
> > fetchmail/procmail/clamav and spamassassin a nice warmup.
> >
> > I have N-M disabled, spamassassin enabled, fetchmail and mailwatcher
> > started from the Autostart dir, and 181 processes reduced to the low
> > 120's according to htop.
> >
> > One of the useless things still running is some sort of an spi buss,

> > but this motherboard has no such hardware.  I can kill it with htop,
> > but how do I remove it totally. From a seaarch in synaptic, it has
> > nothing to do with Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface.
correction: to do with Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface.
no "nothing", my bad.

> > So whats it good for for me?

I may have plastic eyes but I certainly don't need a braille interface.
So I don't see as its useful for anything I do.

So I still need to stop/disable it. Killed it with htop, we'll see what
else dies. But while htop can see it, its not in /etc/init.d nor in a
systemctl display.  So whats starting it? Enquiring minds want to know.

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: A couple things yet on stretch install, amd64 version

Nicholas Geovanis-2
Your first email called it "Serial busses of some kind" and you didn't type "at-spi". Contrary to you 2 sentences later, at-spi is indeed for Assistive Technologies, Service Provider Interface. An API for assistive software to talk to desktops. So quite possibly you want to keep it around. I would look at your desktop startup to control it.
The Serial Peripheral Interface chips, my first cut answer, are present on basically every motherboard including ARM. Some even use SPI for CPU-RAM transfers.

Curt
On 2019-05-29, Gene Heskett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of the useless things still running is some sort of an spi buss, but
> this motherboard has no such hardware.  I can kill it with htop, but how
> do I remove it totally. From a seaarch in synaptic, it has nothing to do
> with Asistive Technology Service Provider Interface.

at-spi has everything to do with Assistive Technology, in fact, but
maybe you misspoke and stated the opposite of your intention.

I think the package to expurgate would be

 'at-spi2-core' - Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface (dbus
 core)

if it doesn't take the kitchen sink along with it (if you're using one).

--
“Decisions are never really made – at best they manage to emerge, from a chaos
of peeves, whims, hallucinations and all around assholery.” – Thomas Pynchon

On Thursday 30 May 2019 04:22:16 am Nicholas Geovanis wrote:

> Your first email called it "Serial busses of some kind" and you didn't
> type "at-spi".

Indeed I didn't, I like you, got bit by that famous "assume" word again.
That mail was composed over about a 30 minute span while I was trying to
figure out what heck an at-spi actually was.

Since that apparently is not its real name, its not obviously resident
in /e/init.d, nor is it visible in the systemctl listings.  So other
than sending it a SIGKILL with a root htop, I can't find a way to
disable starting it.  Seemingly zero parents. But I haven't yet trolled
thru /proc yet, been fighting with an amanda driver script I wrote
probably 15 years ago. Somebody fixed a truly ancient bug in bash and
broke a script thats been working for over a decade.

> > So I still need to stop/disable it. Killed it with htop, we'll see
> > what else dies. But while htop can see it, its not in /etc/init.d
> > nor in a systemctl display.  So whats starting it? Enquiring minds
still
> > want to know.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: A couple things yet on stretch install, amd64 version

Tixy-2
On Thu, 2019-05-30 at 09:38 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 30 May 2019 04:22:16 am Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
>
> > Your first email called it "Serial busses of some kind" and you
> > didn't
> > type "at-spi".
>
> Indeed I didn't, I like you, got bit by that famous "assume" word
> again.
> That mail was composed over about a 30 minute span while I was trying
> figure out what heck an at-spi actually was.
>
> Since that apparently is not its real name, its not obviously
> resident
> in /e/init.d, nor is it visible in the systemctl listings.  So other
> than sending it a SIGKILL with a root htop, I can't find a way to
> disable starting it.

On my Stretch LXDE machine it appears under menu "Prefernces" >
"Desktop Session Settings" > "Automatically Started Applications".

If I disable it, then a file appears under ~/.config/autostart called
at-spi-dbus-bus.desktop which contains...

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=AT-SPI D-Bus Bus
Exec=/usr/lib/at-spi2-core/at-spi-bus-launcher --launch-immediately
NoDisplay=true
X-GNOME-AutoRestart=true
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Initialization
NotShowIn=LXDE;

That last line I guess overrides default startup behaviour.

Using "find / -name at-spi-dbus-bus.desktop" I see the default desktop
file in /etc/xdg/autostart/at-spi-dbus-bus.desktop, which has the same
contents without that last NotShowIn=LXDE; line.

--
Tixy