Quantcast

AMD M780G with ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics

AMD M780G with ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics

Jack Malmostoso
Hello list,

I am considering the purchase of a new netbook/laptop and I think I am
quite interested in the Lenovo Thinkpad x100e:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/
catalog.workflow:item.detail?
vt=5&GroupID=37&Code=X100e_INTEL_BEST&hide_menu_area=true

I have read various reviews on the internet and the only thing that makes
me wonder about it is the graphic chipset (AMD M780G with ATI Radeon HD
3200 graphics).
I checked x.org and the chipset is supported by the open source radeonhd
driver (good), but apparently it does not have 3D acceleration (bad).

Does anyone have this chipset? Can you comment on the quality?
I am not trying to play intensive games, I just want to know if I can
watch a movie on it without dropping frames like my ancient PIII system.

Needless to say I'd run sid on it.

Thanks for your help!

--
Best Regards, Jack
Linux User #264449

Re: AMD M780G with ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics

Matthew Dawson-2
Hey,

I have a HP laptop with the Radeon HD3200 graphics card.  3d is supported by the radeon driver, along with KMS (kernel modesetting).  I currently use the fglrx driver as the radeon driver currently lacks power management.  According to http://mjg59.livejournal.com/122190.html , power management support is being added to newer kernels.  While using the radeon driver, I had a KDE4 Desktop running using compositing and was able to play opengl games (specifically supertux and smc).  Movies seemed to work well.

All test were performed on a mix of squeeze and sid packages on my laptop (sid kernel + some graphics components).  Make sure to run linux-image-2.6.32-4-*, not -3!  -4 has various improvements in the kernel drivers.

Matthew

On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:10:02 +0200, Matthew Dawson wrote:

> I have a HP laptop with the Radeon HD3200 graphics card.  3d is
> supported by the radeon driver, along with KMS (kernel modesetting).

Hello Matthew,

thank you very much for your quick reply.
This is just the info I needed.
The power management in general of the x100 seems a bit worse than Atom
based netbooks, but I suppose it's a real hardware issue.

Have a nice day!

On Sunday 02 May 2010 04:03:32 Jack Malmostoso wrote:

> On Sat, 01 May 2010 17:10:02 +0200, Matthew Dawson wrote:
>
> > I have a HP laptop with the Radeon HD3200 graphics card.  3d is
> > supported by the radeon driver, along with KMS (kernel modesetting).
>
> Hello Matthew,
>
> thank you very much for your quick reply.
> This is just the info I needed.
> The power management in general of the x100 seems a bit worse than Atom
> based netbooks, but I suppose it's a real hardware issue.
>
> Have a nice day!

Hello Jack,

No problem.  ATI's binary driver, fglrx, does support power management on this chipset, and using fglrx my laptop was able to stay on using battery power for far longer.  The radeon driver does not yet support power management because its hard todo and is very complex.

Matthew

Re: AMD M780G with ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics

Clive McBarton

Re: AMD M780G with ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics

Matthew Dawson-2
Hey,

On Monday 03 May 2010 14:16:05 Clive McBarton wrote:
<snip>
> > All test were performed on a mix of squeeze and sid packages on my laptop (sid kernel + some graphics components).  Make sure to run linux-image-2.6.32-4-*, not -3!  -4 has various improvements in the kernel drivers.
>
> Does that mean that it won't run with stable? Because there's no 2.6.32
> in stable, much less specific subversions. stable runs 2.6.26.
From what I remember when running stable, radeon does run with it.  However it offers no acceleration as firmware is missing (I think it was added in .30?).  I'm pretty sure radeonhd in stable does *not* work with the card.  I think fglrx from stable does support it, but I can't remember exactly.  Sorry I hadn't specified it sooner, I was responding to the question that mentioned the laptop would be running sid.

Matthew

On Mon, 03 May 2010 20:20:02 +0200, Clive McBarton wrote:

> "Needless to say"? Run sid if you like, but why exactly is that the
> obvious choice for a netbook?

Haha sorry it made perfect sense to myself but hey, you don't know that
I've been running Sid (or a mix with experimental) on all of my machines
since a few years now :)

Thanks for your message!

--
Best Regards, Jack