Accessibility options in Debian

Aaron-3
A few years ago I was working as a developer for a university website.
One of my jobs was ensuring Section 508 compliance. To this end, I had
downloaded a copy of Orca and used it to try navigating the website and
learned to use better voices through festival and mary tts.

I also was using Simon (from the Simon-listens foundation) as a way of
controlling the computer via voice commands. I have also found the simon
training application helpful in developing specific speech controlled
interfaces. I notice that Simon does not appear to be available in the
standard Buster repositories. It also appears that development on Simon
appears to have stalled in 2015, with the lead developer leaving to work
on Siri, although the latest commit to the master branch on cgit.kde.org
was in February this year, so I would consider it still an active project.

Is anyone using Simon? Is there an alternative available? Can anyone
recommend between Orca and Screader or any other screen reading software
for modern accessibility testing?

Thanks,

Aaron

Re: Accessibility options in Debian

Jude DaShiell-3
I think festival has capability to take voice dictation.  I got into
using its voice output though so never used its dictation capability.

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019, Aaron wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:40:20
> From: Aaron <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Accessibility options in Debian
>
> A few years ago I was working as a developer for a university website.
> One of my jobs was ensuring Section 508 compliance. To this end, I had
> downloaded a copy of Orca and used it to try navigating the website and
> learned to use better voices through festival and mary tts.
>
> I also was using Simon (from the Simon-listens foundation) as a way of
> controlling the computer via voice commands. I have also found the simon
> training application helpful in developing specific speech controlled
> interfaces. I notice that Simon does not appear to be available in the
> standard Buster repositories. It also appears that development on Simon
> appears to have stalled in 2015, with the lead developer leaving to work
> on Siri, although the latest commit to the master branch on cgit.kde.org
> was in February this year, so I would consider it still an active project.
>
> Is anyone using Simon? Is there an alternative available? Can anyone
> recommend between Orca and Screader or any other screen reading software
> for modern accessibility testing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Aaron

Re: Accessibility options in Debian

Majid Hussain-2
hi there,
would advise you run with orca, it is a very good screen reader :)
not sure if you are subscribed but you can subscribe to the orca
mailing list which may assist you.
I hope this is of assistence to you,
also, debian 10 buster net install images have a floor as of yet it
has not been fixed where in no sound is herd after you boot and press
the s key a few times and press enter.
I hear it should be fixed in the next releace?
hope this helped you again,
Majid Hussain

On 22/07/2019, Jude DaShiell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think festival has capability to take voice dictation.  I got into
> using its voice output though so never used its dictation capability.
>
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2019, Aaron wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:40:20
>> From: Aaron <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Accessibility options in Debian
>>
>> A few years ago I was working as a developer for a university website.
>> One of my jobs was ensuring Section 508 compliance. To this end, I had
>> downloaded a copy of Orca and used it to try navigating the website and
>> learned to use better voices through festival and mary tts.
>>
>> I also was using Simon (from the Simon-listens foundation) as a way of
>> controlling the computer via voice commands. I have also found the simon
>> training application helpful in developing specific speech controlled
>> interfaces. I notice that Simon does not appear to be available in the
>> standard Buster repositories. It also appears that development on Simon
>> appears to have stalled in 2015, with the lead developer leaving to work
>> on Siri, although the latest commit to the master branch on cgit.kde.org
>> was in February this year, so I would consider it still an active
>> project.
>>
>> Is anyone using Simon? Is there an alternative available? Can anyone
>> recommend between Orca and Screader or any other screen reading software
>> for modern accessibility testing?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Aaron

kind regards,
Majid Hussain

Re: Accessibility options in Debian

john doe-6
On 7/22/2019 5:47 PM, Majid Hussain wrote:
> hi there,
> would advise you run with orca, it is a very good screen reader :)
> not sure if you are subscribed but you can subscribe to the orca
> mailing list which may assist you.
> I hope this is of assistence to you,
> also, debian 10 buster net install images have a floor as of yet it
> has not been fixed where in no sound is herd after you boot and press
> the s key a few times and press enter.

Looks like your are mixing up 'Orca' and 'Espeakup'.
The issue you are describing above is related to Espeakup.
Espeakup is used during the install of Debian and while in console mode
but Orca is used in a desktop environment.

John Doe

Re: Accessibility options in Debian

Jude DaShiell-3
Also, orca cannot take dictation other software is needed for that job.

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019, john doe wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:17:10
> From: john doe <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Accessibility options in Debian
>
> On 7/22/2019 5:47 PM, Majid Hussain wrote:
> > hi there,
> > would advise you run with orca, it is a very good screen reader :)
> > not sure if you are subscribed but you can subscribe to the orca
> > mailing list which may assist you.
> > I hope this is of assistence to you,
> > also, debian 10 buster net install images have a floor as of yet it
> > has not been fixed where in no sound is herd after you boot and press
> > the s key a few times and press enter.
>
> Looks like your are mixing up 'Orca' and 'Espeakup'.
> The issue you are describing above is related to Espeakup.
> Espeakup is used during the install of Debian and while in console mode
> but Orca is used in a desktop environment.
>
> --
> John Doe

Re: Accessibility options in Debian

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL-3

This topic is very important for me but I have few info, so I am happy
is someone can tell us.

In my mind, Simon is for KDE. So not easily universalisable on other
desktops. Butt I would appreciate any suggestion of dictation program,
it is a very important request from my users of Debian and free software.

Regards

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL

Le 22/07/2019 à 16:40, Aaron a écrit :

> A few years ago I was working as a developer for a university website.
> One of my jobs was ensuring Section 508 compliance. To this end, I had
> downloaded a copy of Orca and used it to try navigating the website and
> learned to use better voices through festival and mary tts.
>
> I also was using Simon (from the Simon-listens foundation) as a way of
> controlling the computer via voice commands. I have also found the simon
> training application helpful in developing specific speech controlled
> interfaces. I notice that Simon does not appear to be available in the
> standard Buster repositories. It also appears that development on Simon
> appears to have stalled in 2015, with the lead developer leaving to work
> on Siri, although the latest commit to the master branch on cgit.kde.org
> was in February this year, so I would consider it still an active project.
>
> Is anyone using Simon? Is there an alternative available? Can anyone
> recommend between Orca and Screader or any other screen reading software
> for modern accessibility testing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Aaron

Re: Accessibility options in Debian

Jude DaShiell-3
You might check out viavoice but I don't know if it's free.

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:41:00
> From: Jean-Philippe MENGUAL <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Accessibility options in Debian
>
> Hi,
>
> This topic is very important for me but I have few info, so I am happy is
> someone can tell us.
>
> In my mind, Simon is for KDE. So not easily universalisable on other desktops.
> Butt I would appreciate any suggestion of dictation program, it is a very
> important request from my users of Debian and free software.
>
> Regards
>
> Jean-Philippe MENGUAL
>
> Le 22/07/2019 ? 16:40, Aaron a ?crit?:
> > A few years ago I was working as a developer for a university website.
> > One of my jobs was ensuring Section 508 compliance. To this end, I had
> > downloaded a copy of Orca and used it to try navigating the website and
> > learned to use better voices through festival and mary tts.
> >
> > I also was using Simon (from the Simon-listens foundation) as a way of
> > controlling the computer via voice commands. I have also found the simon
> > training application helpful in developing specific speech controlled
> > interfaces. I notice that Simon does not appear to be available in the
> > standard Buster repositories. It also appears that development on Simon
> > appears to have stalled in 2015, with the lead developer leaving to work
> > on Siri, although the latest commit to the master branch on cgit.kde.org
> > was in February this year, so I would consider it still an active project.
> >
> > Is anyone using Simon? Is there an alternative available? Can anyone
> > recommend between Orca and Screader or any other screen reading software
> > for modern accessibility testing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Aaron

Re: Accessibility options in Debian

Aaron-3
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried installing Orca on a Raspberry Pi
the other day, but it seemed to have trouble with the Pixel desktop. I
was a little concerned after reading that Orca is tightly integrated
with the Gnome desktop, but more recent information seems to suggest
that it can be used with Mate and even XFCE/LXDE.

I haven't been able to get the "Install with speech synthesis" option to
work at all yet, if that is the flaw you are referring to.

I have been able to get Orca working quite well on Buster Mate and am
figuring out how to change the voice to one of the FLite arctic options.
Oddly, Orca does not have an entry on the Mate start menu. Would you
recommend Gnome 3 with this tool? I prefer how light-weight Mate is and
always found Gnome 3 confusing, but I'm willing to try if it seems worth it.

Is anyone using emacspeak? This seems to be a new option that comes up a
lot, and looks similar to the Knoppix Adriane project.

Thank you,

Aaron

On 7/22/19 11:47 AM, Majid Hussain wrote:
> hi there,
> would advise you run with orca, it is a very good screen reader :)
> Majid Hussain

Re: Accessibility options in Debian

Majid Hussain-2
hi there,
I would advise you stear away from gnome, it is a memmory hog, it's
why i'm sticking with mate, far easia to use in my book,
and accessibility is good.
they doo say that gnome is quite accessible, but I have not used it
since the good ol gnome-2 days.
did give it a breefe test when i was fiddleing with fedora and did not
like the experience.
i've never used any other voice than ol espeak-ng, do they sound nice?
i'm sorry I can't help you on the e-max issue, i've never used that,
seembs like there's alot i've never used, sorry again!
and yep orca does work with mate as you've found out,
hint hint!
go to system menu, preferances, and personal menu.
and go to the assistive technology menu item make sure that the box
for enableing the technology is enabled :)
a log out and log back in will be required, this may be enabled but
better to check
hope this helped you :)
Majid Hussain

--
kind regards,
Majid Hussain

Re: Accessibility options in Debian

Sebastian Humenda
Hi Aaron,

Aaron schrieb am 22.07.2019, 14:36 -0400:
>Thanks for the suggestions. I tried installing Orca on a Raspberry Pi
>the other day, but it seemed to have trouble with the Pixel desktop. I
>was a little concerned after reading that Orca is tightly integrated
>with the Gnome desktop, but more recent information seems to suggest
>that it can be used with Mate and even XFCE/LXDE.
I even ran Orca with Fluxbox, but then you have to expect that the menu (not
written in GTK and QT) won't be accessible. But it works ;-).
Without kidding: Mate, it is very accessible for my daily work and I can
recommend it.

>I haven't been able to get the "Install with speech synthesis" option to
>work at all yet, if that is the flaw you are referring to.
Could you describe in more detail the issues that you are having?

>I have been able to get Orca working quite well on Buster Mate and am
>figuring out how to change the voice to one of the FLite arctic options.
>Oddly, Orca does not have an entry on the Mate start menu.
It is in the menu under system / Settings / Personal / Assistive Technologies
(terms might vary slightly). There you can enable assistive technologies and
this will enable Orca.

>Is anyone using emacspeak? This seems to be a new option that comes up a
>lot, and looks similar to the Knoppix Adriane project.
I am not using it, but AFAIU Emacspeak is an screen reader for Emacs and as such
brilliant if you are working with in the Emacs ecosystem; it's an editor
nevertheless. Adriane provides a menu-based user interface that enables the user
to choose between browsing, e-mail and other tasks, instead of presenting a
desktop environment. My information might be a bit outdated, though.

Cheers
SebastianCheers
sebCheers
sebCheers
sebCheers
sebCheers
sebCheers
sebCheers
sebCheers
seb

Re: Accessibility options in Debian

Jude DaShiell-3
could it be sysctl enable espeak and sysctl start espeak commands are no
longer run when that s key gets hit at the boot: prompt?