Addition in lintian to warn about debian/pyversions file

Addition in lintian to warn about debian/pyversions file

Joseph Herlant
Hi guys,

FYI I am requesting a new lintian tag to warn about the presence of
the debian/pyversions file as it is supposed to be obsolete since
dh_python2 [1].

According to the policy[2], we are supposed to use the
X-Python3-Version field in debian/control to specify the version now.

Please let me know if that is an issue for you.

Bug report: #898592

Thanks,
Joseph

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Python/TransitionToDHPython2
[2] https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-module_packages.html#s-specifying_versions

Re: Addition in lintian to warn about debian/pyversions file

Thomas Goirand-3
On 05/14/2018 02:41 AM, Joseph Herlant wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> FYI I am requesting a new lintian tag to warn about the presence of
> the debian/pyversions file as it is supposed to be obsolete since
> dh_python2 [1].

As Ondrej wrote, there's only a few packages having this. How about we
just do a few NMUs as a team to fix that completely in the archive?

Ondrej, what's the list of packages?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Re: Addition in lintian to warn about debian/pyversions file

Ondrej Novy-2

As Ondrej wrote, there's only a few packages having this. How about we
just do a few NMUs as a team to fix that completely in the archive?

(imho) lintian tag is still good idea. In future we can change it to "error" to prevent re-entering archive.

Ondrej, what's the list of packages?

I didn't write count and I don't have list :)

--
Best regards
 Ondřej Nový

Email: [hidden email]
PGP: 3D98 3C52 EB85 980C 46A5  6090 3573 1255 9D1E 064B

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 3:14 AM, Thomas Goirand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As Ondrej wrote, there's only a few packages having this. How about we
> just do a few NMUs as a team to fix that completely in the archive?

I was actually thinking about integrating that removal to Ondřej's
next mass-update (along with debian/pycompat) and if the packages are
not released in the next 2 months or so, I was planning to do some
team uploads on them (I saw some that have not been touched in a while
and that would benefit from a big cleanup).

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 3:24 AM, Ondrej Novy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I didn't write count and I don't have list :)

The lintian tag would help getting the number easily! ;)

One of my thoughts about introducing it on info level is that we
should probably update https://wiki.debian.org/Python/Policy (I'll
start a separate thread on that) before having it on error level as
the page still shows examples with old/deprecated build systems.

Another reason to put that in lintian is that we still have all the
openstack python package to migrate to DPMT and those have a bunch of
pycompat and pyversions file that a lintian note about it would help
not forgetting that when we migrate those (I'll try to do some when I
got more spare time).

Thanks,
Joseph

Re: Addition in lintian to warn about debian/pyversions file

Scott Kitterman-5
On Monday, May 14, 2018 10:51:45 AM Joseph Herlant wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 3:14 AM, Thomas Goirand <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > As Ondrej wrote, there's only a few packages having this. How about we
> > just do a few NMUs as a team to fix that completely in the archive?
>
> I was actually thinking about integrating that removal to Ondřej's
> next mass-update (along with debian/pycompat) and if the packages are
> not released in the next 2 months or so, I was planning to do some
> team uploads on them (I saw some that have not been touched in a while
> and that would benefit from a big cleanup).
>
> On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 3:24 AM, Ondrej Novy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I didn't write count and I don't have list :)
>
> The lintian tag would help getting the number easily! ;)
>
> One of my thoughts about introducing it on info level is that we
> should probably update https://wiki.debian.org/Python/Policy (I'll
> start a separate thread on that) before having it on error level as
> the page still shows examples with old/deprecated build systems.
>
> Another reason to put that in lintian is that we still have all the
> openstack python package to migrate to DPMT and those have a bunch of
> pycompat and pyversions file that a lintian note about it would help
> not forgetting that when we migrate those (I'll try to do some when I
> got more spare time).

I don't think deleting pycompat and pyversions is worth an upload.  They are
obsolete and should be removed, but don't actually hurt anything.

Scott K

Re: Addition in lintian to warn about debian/pyversions file

Ondrej Novy-2

I don't think deleting pycompat and pyversions is worth an upload.  They are
obsolete and should be removed, but don't actually hurt anything.

I agree. But maybe there are more changes in git, which in sum are worth an upload :)