After update, just a black screen

mickbert
Very bad!

After the complete update, since long time (see, the other email), I got
from my iBookG4 just a black screen.

I can see the boot logging until the graphic card initialization, then I
have no way to interact. I also tried to load the old kernel (from
yaboot menu), but the result is the same.

Apart from suggestions on how to fix the whole issue, the first
information I need is how can I boot the system in a text console,
without loading xorg, which I suppose is the point.

Mick

Re: After update, just a black screen

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 5/20/20 2:06 PM, Mick Bert wrote:
> Very bad!

Not unexpected when you are missing firmware packages.

> After the complete update, since long time (see, the other email), I got from my iBookG4 just a black screen.

You need to install the firmware-amd-graphics package.

You need to add the following to your sources.list:

# contrib and non-free arch:all packages (i.e. firmware)
deb [arch=all] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable contrib non-free

> I can see the boot logging until the graphic card initialization, then I have no way to
> interact. I also tried to load the old kernel (from yaboot menu), but the result is the same.

Try booting with "nomodeset" or "init=/bin/bash".

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Il 20/05/20 14:30, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz ha scritto:
> "init=/bin/bash".

What the hell - in this mode, it does not recognise keystroke ^C, or ^Z.
I started a ping, and I do not know how to interrupt it!

Mick

Re: After update, just a black screen

Jeroen Diederen-2
What you could also do is to boot from a Debian installer medium and do
"Recovery". You can then enter the system and issue the command as given
by Adrian.

Re: After update, just a black screen

mickbert
Il 20/05/20 14:30, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz ha scritto:
You need to install the firmware-amd-graphics package.

You need to add the following to your sources.list:

# contrib and non-free arch:all packages (i.e. firmware)
deb [arch=all] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable contrib non-free

I can see the boot logging until the graphic card initialization, then I have no way to
interact. I also tried to load the old kernel (from yaboot menu), but the result is the same.
Try booting with "nomodeset".

The good news is that this way works fine. And the suggestion above, fixed the issue.

Then I am going to work on the wireless adapter...

Mick

Re: After update, just a black screen

Rui Salvaterra
Hi, Mick,

On Wed, 20 May 2020 at 15:00, Mick Bert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Then I am going to work on the wireless adapter...

To get Wi-Fi working, you probably only need to apt-get the
firmware-b43-installer package, assuming you already added the line
Adrian told you to your sources.list. I'm trying to get WPA3 Personal
to work, but that will require patching the b43 driver (and will only
ever be possible with software crypto).

Cheers,
Rui

Re: After update, just a black screen

Didier Kryn
Le 20/05/2020 à 15:33, Mick Bert a écrit :
> Il 20/05/20 14:30, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz ha scritto:
>> "init=/bin/bash".
>
> What the hell - in this mode, it does not recognise keystroke ^C, or
> ^Z. I started a ping, and I do not know how to interrupt it!

     That' because you're connected on the console. Busybox has a
special command to solve that issue: cttyhack. In your situation, I
would try something like 'setsid -c /bin/bash </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1
2>&1' . /dev/tty1 isn't exactly the same thing as /dev/console. That's
my (incomplete) understanding.

     Didier