Amiga - install from harddrive

koxman
Hi,

past weekend I tried to install Debian 9.0 m68k on Amiga 1200 + Blizzard 1260.

I haven't used cd/dvd for long time so I tried to place iSO files on AFFS partition.
Unfortunately I was not successful. No matter what option I used, always get VFS unable to mount root fs.

Is the installation form Amiga FFS supported?
What is the difference between "hd-media" and "nativehd" ?

Br

koxman

Re: Amiga - install from harddrive

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hello!

On 10/16/2017 10:04 AM, koxman wrote:
> past weekend I tried to install Debian 9.0 m68k on Amiga 1200 + Blizzard 1260.
>
> I haven't used cd/dvd for long time so I tried to place iSO files on AFFS partition.
> Unfortunately I was not successful. No matter what option I used, always get VFS unable to mount root fs.
>
> Is the installation form Amiga FFS supported?

It is generally supported. However, this part of the installer hasn't been touched
for a long time and is still on my TODO list, so it's currently not really expected
to work.

Also, the driver for the Blizzard SCSI interface also needs some work which is planned
to happen within the next weeks.

> What is the difference between "hd-media" and "nativehd" ?

No idea actually.

Adrian

--
  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Amiga - install from harddrive

koxman
I used internal IDE in A1200.

So what way do you recommend to try it on real A1200 with CF card as storage?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:21 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

: :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Re: Amiga - install from harddrive

Ingo Jürgensmann-10
On 16.10.2017 10:04, koxman wrote:

> Unfortunately I was not successful. No matter what option I used,
> always get VFS unable to mount root fs.

Have you unpacked the kernel image and/or the initrd? I vaguely remember
that this became necessary somewhen years ago, but cannot say anything
about recent images. Just an idea...

--
Ciao...          //        http://blog.windfluechter.net
       Ingo     \X/     XMPP: [hidden email]

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc

On 10/16/2017 12:00 PM, koxman wrote:
> I used internal IDE in A1200.
>
> So what way do you recommend to try it on real A1200 with CF card as storage?
As I said, we're not there yet. I could write a long and exhaustive howto
on how to get your system installed in your situation, but I rather spend
the time on fixing the installer so that isn't necessary in the future.

Adrian

--
  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

On 10/16/2017 12:07 PM, Ingo Jürgensmann wrote:
> On 16.10.2017 10:04, koxman wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately I was not successful. No matter what option I used,
>> always get VFS unable to mount root fs.
>
> Have you unpacked the kernel image and/or the initrd? I vaguely remember that this
> became necessary somewhen years ago, but cannot say anything about recent images.

I have addressed this problem by building uncompressed kernel images on m68k now [1].

Will be available once Linux 4.14 enters unstable.

Adrian

--
  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Amiga - install from harddrive

koxman
amiboot was not able to boot kernel from installation iSO - stall on "gunizp 0 of xxxx".
After I unpacked the kernel - it booted until the VFS mount error.

Do you recommend to unpack initrd.gz too?

On 10/16/2017 01:02 PM, koxman wrote:
> amiboot was not able to boot kernel from installation iSO - stall on "gunizp 0 of xxxx".
> After I unpacked the kernel - it booted until the VFS mount error.

Yes, this has already been fixed in the source code. But it's not in the built images yet.

> Do you recommend to unpack initrd.gz too?

No, the initrd is unpacked by the kernel, not amiboot.

Adrian

--
  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz