Amigas with both Zorro-II and Zorro-III RAM?

Amigas with both Zorro-II and Zorro-III RAM?

Michael Schmitz-4
All,

anyone on this list with an Amiga running Linux that has both Zorro-II
and Zorro-III RAM installed, so would trigger the warning message:

"%dK of Zorro II memory will not be used as system memory\n"

early during booting the kernel?

Would be nice to get Geert's patch (see
<[hidden email]>) tested on such a system.

Cheers,

     Michael

Re: Amigas with both Zorro-II and Zorro-III RAM?

Ingo Jürgensmann-11
Am 04.12.2018 um 23:32 schrieb Johny Five <[hidden email]>:

> You mean A3000 or A4000 with some onboard/cpu accelerator FastRam + ZorroRAM/BigRAM in Zorro3 slot?
>
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:23 PM Michael Schmitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All,
>
> anyone on this list with an Amiga running Linux that has both Zorro-II
> and Zorro-III RAM installed, so would trigger the warning message:
>
> "%dK of Zorro II memory will not be used as system memory\n"
>
> early during booting the kernel?
>
> Would be nice to get Geert's patch (see
> <[hidden email]>) tested on such a system.

Yes, this should be the same with the BigRamPlus extension, except that on Amigas the address scheme is of course different and Amigas will use memory priorities (the faster the memory is, the higher the priority is).
ChipRam should be priority 0, normal (fake) FastRam is about priority 20 or so while real FastRam on an accel board like Cyberstorm MK2 is about priority 40 or so.
See also http://amiga.nvg.org/amiga/reference/Hardware_Manual_guide/node00D4.html or https://www.amigacoding.com/index.php/Amiga_memory_map for a quick reference or search for my post on this ML about the BigRamPlus in Spice/Arrakis.
For that link you can see several memory chunks like Chip Memory, Zorro II Memory Expansion space, Expansion Memory, Motherboard Fast RAM, maybe Copressor Slot Expansion and Zorro III Expansion.

I’m not sure if that patch will fix that issue, but neither I’m a kernel hacker nor a programmer, nor do I know if memoryblock is a block of memory or memory to block from being used. ;-)

Back then during the discussion about BigRamPlus donation by Debian the conclusion was that memory pools need to be ported to make use of the BRP which would also solve the issue of ST-RAM for the Ataris, IIRC.

--
Ciao...          //        http://blog.windfluechter.net
      Ingo     \X/     XMPP: [hidden email]

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc

Re: Amigas with both Zorro-II and Zorro-III RAM?

Michael Schmitz-4
Johny,

no, that would still allow normal use of both FastRAM and RAM expansion
in the Zorro-III slot, from what I can tell (assuming the kernel is
loaded to FastRAM - thanks Ingo for the memory map).

This is about testing kernel behaviour where Zorro-II RAM was excluded
from use as system memory, which worked fine up to conversion of m68k
from bootmem to memblock.

We'd need both Zorro-II RAM and FastRAM (or Zorro-III RAM).

Cheers,

     Michael

On 5/12/18 11:32 AM, Johny Five wrote:

> You mean A3000 or A4000 with some onboard/cpu accelerator FastRam +
> ZorroRAM/BigRAM in Zorro3 slot?
>
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:23 PM Michael Schmitz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> anyone on this list with an Amiga running Linux that has both Zorro-II
>> and Zorro-III RAM installed, so would trigger the warning message:
>>
>> "%dK of Zorro II memory will not be used as system memory\n"
>>
>> early during booting the kernel?
>>
>> Would be nice to get Geert's patch (see
>> <[hidden email]>) tested on such a system.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>       Michael

Re: Amigas with both Zorro-II and Zorro-III RAM?

Michael Schmitz-4
Ingo,

On 5/12/18 12:12 PM, Ingo Jürgensmann wrote:

> Am 04.12.2018 um 23:32 schrieb Johny Five <[hidden email]>:
>
>> You mean A3000 or A4000 with some onboard/cpu accelerator FastRam + ZorroRAM/BigRAM in Zorro3 slot?
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:23 PM Michael Schmitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> anyone on this list with an Amiga running Linux that has both Zorro-II
>> and Zorro-III RAM installed, so would trigger the warning message:
>>
>> "%dK of Zorro II memory will not be used as system memory\n"
>>
>> early during booting the kernel?
>>
>> Would be nice to get Geert's patch (see
>> <[hidden email]>) tested on such a system.
> Yes, this should be the same with the BigRamPlus extension, except that on Amigas the address scheme is of course different and Amigas will use memory priorities (the faster the memory is, the higher the priority is).
> ChipRam should be priority 0, normal (fake) FastRam is about priority 20 or so while real FastRam on an accel board like Cyberstorm MK2 is about priority 40 or so.
> See also http://amiga.nvg.org/amiga/reference/Hardware_Manual_guide/node00D4.html or https://www.amigacoding.com/index.php/Amiga_memory_map for a quick reference or search for my post on this ML about the BigRamPlus in Spice/Arrakis.
> For that link you can see several memory chunks like Chip Memory, Zorro II Memory Expansion space, Expansion Memory, Motherboard Fast RAM, maybe Copressor Slot Expansion and Zorro III Expansion.

Thanks for jogging my memory - from that memory map, I would think that
the kernel should be able to utilize both FastRAM (on the accelerator
board) and BigRamPlus (which would be in the Zorro-III address space?)
as long as the kernel runs in FastRAM.

What is the problem with making use of BigRamPlus as system memory by
the kernel? Do we need to update amiboot? Or fudge a a suitable bootinfo
struct including the additional memory segment and use kexec to boot the
kernel to make use of that fudged data?
> I’m not sure if that patch will fix that issue, but neither I’m a kernel hacker nor a programmer, nor do I know if memoryblock is a block of memory or memory to block from being used. ;-)
memblock is just a way of keeping track of physical memory areas in the
kernel early on during boot. Does not solve the issue of memory
ordering, or whatever other issue we saw with BigRamPlus.

> Back then during the discussion about BigRamPlus donation by Debian the conclusion was that memory pools need to be ported to make use of the BRP which would also solve the issue of ST-RAM for the Ataris, IIRC.

m68k would have to support the sparsemem memory model, but yes, that
seemed a bridge too far at that time. I still have no idea how m68k
memory management really works.

Cheers,

     Michael

Re: Amigas with both Zorro-II and Zorro-III RAM?

Geert Uytterhoeven
Hi Ingo,

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:34 AM Ingo Jürgensmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 04.12.2018 um 23:32 schrieb Johny Five <[hidden email]>:
> > You mean A3000 or A4000 with some onboard/cpu accelerator FastRam + ZorroRAM/BigRAM in Zorro3 slot?
> > On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:23 PM Michael Schmitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > anyone on this list with an Amiga running Linux that has both Zorro-II
> > and Zorro-III RAM installed, so would trigger the warning message:
> >
> > "%dK of Zorro II memory will not be used as system memory\n"
> >
> > early during booting the kernel?
> >
> > Would be nice to get Geert's patch (see
> > <[hidden email]>) tested on such a system.
>
> Yes, this should be the same with the BigRamPlus extension, except that on Amigas the address scheme is of course different and Amigas will use memory priorities (the faster the memory is, the higher the priority is).
> ChipRam should be priority 0, normal (fake) FastRam is about priority 20 or so while real FastRam on an accel board like Cyberstorm MK2 is about priority 40 or so.

These priorities are purely a matter for AmigaOS, and do not apply to Linux.

A proper test machine would be an A3000 or A4000 (or T variant),
equipped with a Zorro II expansion card that contains Zorro II RAM
(e.g. a combined SCSI/memory expansion card).

This does not apply to BigRamPlus, which is a Zorro III memory expansion.

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [hidden email]

                                -- Linus Torvalds

Re: Amigas with both Zorro-II and Zorro-III RAM?

Christian T. Steigies
On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 08:47:24AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:34 AM Ingo Jürgensmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am 04.12.2018 um 23:32 schrieb Johny Five <[hidden email]>:
> > > You mean A3000 or A4000 with some onboard/cpu accelerator FastRam + ZorroRAM/BigRAM in Zorro3 slot?
> > > On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 11:23 PM Michael Schmitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > anyone on this list with an Amiga running Linux that has both Zorro-II
> > > and Zorro-III RAM installed, so would trigger the warning message:
> > >
> > > "%dK of Zorro II memory will not be used as system memory\n"
> > >
> > > early during booting the kernel?
> > >
> > > Would be nice to get Geert's patch (see
> > > <[hidden email]>) tested on such a system.
> >
> > Yes, this should be the same with the BigRamPlus extension, except that on Amigas the address scheme is of course different and Amigas will use memory priorities (the faster the memory is, the higher the priority is).
> > ChipRam should be priority 0, normal (fake) FastRam is about priority 20 or so while real FastRam on an accel board like Cyberstorm MK2 is about priority 40 or so.
>
> These priorities are purely a matter for AmigaOS, and do not apply to Linux.
>
> A proper test machine would be an A3000 or A4000 (or T variant),
> equipped with a Zorro II expansion card that contains Zorro II RAM
> (e.g. a combined SCSI/memory expansion card).

I should still have a GVP Series-II SCSI controller with 8M RAM (my first
expansion card, perhaps I can still find the huge 100MB disk I bought with
it).  I do also have an A3000, but this machine has no expansion card, ie
only the built 030 CPU, 1(?)MB RAM, no harddisk, no NIC, ... so no Z-II RAM?
But if we would place this card in crest or kullervo, we'd have a suitable
test machine?

Christian

Re: Amigas with both Zorro-II and Zorro-III RAM?

Geert Uytterhoeven
Hi Christian,

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:27 AM Christian T. Steigies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 08:47:24AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > Yes, this should be the same with the BigRamPlus extension, except that on Amigas the address scheme is of course different and Amigas will use memory priorities (the faster the memory is, the higher the priority is).
> > > ChipRam should be priority 0, normal (fake) FastRam is about priority 20 or so while real FastRam on an accel board like Cyberstorm MK2 is about priority 40 or so.
> >
> > These priorities are purely a matter for AmigaOS, and do not apply to Linux.
> >
> > A proper test machine would be an A3000 or A4000 (or T variant),
> > equipped with a Zorro II expansion card that contains Zorro II RAM
> > (e.g. a combined SCSI/memory expansion card).
>
> I should still have a GVP Series-II SCSI controller with 8M RAM (my first
> expansion card, perhaps I can still find the huge 100MB disk I bought with
> it).  I do also have an A3000, but this machine has no expansion card, ie
> only the built 030 CPU, 1(?)MB RAM, no harddisk, no NIC, ... so no Z-II RAM?
> But if we would place this card in crest or kullervo, we'd have a suitable
> test machine?

Adding the GVP Series-II SCSI controller with 8M RAM to the A3000 should
do the trick.  You only need to build and boot a small kernel with
Amiga support.
Nothing fancy (no userspace) needed.

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [hidden email]

                                -- Linus Torvalds

Am 05.12.2018 um 09:27 schrieb Christian T. Steigies <[hidden email]>:
>> A proper test machine would be an A3000 or A4000 (or T variant),
>> equipped with a Zorro II expansion card that contains Zorro II RAM
>> (e.g. a combined SCSI/memory expansion card).
> I should still have a GVP Series-II SCSI controller with 8M RAM (my first
> expansion card, perhaps I can still find the huge 100MB disk I bought with
> it).  I do also have an A3000, but this machine has no expansion card, ie
> only the built 030 CPU, 1(?)MB RAM, no harddisk, no NIC, ... so no Z-II RAM?
> But if we would place this card in crest or kullervo, we'd have a suitable
> test machine?

About the NIC: just buy an X-Surf100. That’s the easy part. ;)

About ZIII RAM: I still should have a spare BRP available for that purpose of a porter box. But then again it would be a slow memory (12 MB/s vs. >60 MB/s), so the biggest problem is to get a 060 card, which are quite expensive on Ebay, but there are some cards on auction at the moment:

- GVP G-Force 040 for A3000: https://www.ebay.de/itm/GVP-G-Force-3040-fur-Amiga-3000/163410730541
- Cyberstorm PPC/060: https://www.ebay.de/itm/AMIGA-Phase-5-CyberStorm-PPC-233MHz-mit-Rev-6-68060-und-128MB-RAM-TOP/202523892233

The GVP card might be cheaper, but it is only a 040 and I think you’ll need expensive, special GVP memory modules whereas the Cyberstorm already comes with 128 MB PS/2 memory, but will rise in cost for that auction.
Sometimes you can even buy ZIP-TO-DIMM adaptors on Ebay, but I’m not sure about that, because of the fragile nature of ZIP chip legs…

About ZII memory… I still might have a ZII card with some memory on it, but memory with <5 MB/s bandwidth? Come on...!! ;)

About disk: there is the Budda IDE card for quite a few bugs: https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/buddha-ide.html :

I still need to re-install Arrakis/Spice. @Adrian: do you have a fresh installation image for me or is that one from the meeting in Essen still good?

Am 05.12.2018 um 08:47 schrieb Geert Uytterhoeven <[hidden email]>:

>> Yes, this should be the same with the BigRamPlus extension, except that on Amigas the address scheme is of course different and Amigas will use memory priorities (the faster the memory is, the higher the priority is).
>> ChipRam should be priority 0, normal (fake) FastRam is about priority 20 or so while real FastRam on an accel board like Cyberstorm MK2 is about priority 40 or so.
> These priorities are purely a matter for AmigaOS, and do not apply to Linux.

Valid point! :-)

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:56 AM Ingo Jürgensmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 05.12.2018 um 09:27 schrieb Christian T. Steigies <[hidden email]>:
> >> A proper test machine would be an A3000 or A4000 (or T variant),
> >> equipped with a Zorro II expansion card that contains Zorro II RAM
> >> (e.g. a combined SCSI/memory expansion card).
> > I should still have a GVP Series-II SCSI controller with 8M RAM (my first
> > expansion card, perhaps I can still find the huge 100MB disk I bought with
> > it).  I do also have an A3000, but this machine has no expansion card, ie
> > only the built 030 CPU, 1(?)MB RAM, no harddisk, no NIC, ... so no Z-II RAM?
> > But if we would place this card in crest or kullervo, we'd have a suitable
> > test machine?
>
> About the NIC: just buy an X-Surf100. That’s the easy part. ;)
>
> About ZIII RAM: I still should have a spare BRP available for that purpose of a porter box. But then again it would be a slow memory (12 MB/s vs. >60 MB/s), so the biggest problem is to get a 060 card, which are quite expensive on Ebay, but there are some cards on auction at the moment:
>
> - GVP G-Force 040 for A3000: https://www.ebay.de/itm/GVP-G-Force-3040-fur-Amiga-3000/163410730541
> - Cyberstorm PPC/060: https://www.ebay.de/itm/AMIGA-Phase-5-CyberStorm-PPC-233MHz-mit-Rev-6-68060-und-128MB-RAM-TOP/202523892233
>
> The GVP card might be cheaper, but it is only a 040 and I think you’ll need expensive, special GVP memory modules whereas the Cyberstorm already comes with 128 MB PS/2 memory, but will rise in cost for that auction.
> Sometimes you can even buy ZIP-TO-DIMM adaptors on Ebay, but I’m not sure about that, because of the fragile nature of ZIP chip legs…

> About disk: there is the Budda IDE card for quite a few bugs: https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/buddha-ide.html :
> > The Linux- and NetBSD drivers for older versions of the Buddha controller can be used on this new version without change.

None of the above should be needed to test this. A plain A3000/030 with
Zorro II expansion card with Zorro II memory should suffice.

> About ZII memory… I still might have a ZII card with some memory on it, but memory with <5 MB/s bandwidth? Come on...!! ;)

The point is that the kernel (probably) crashes if there is Zorro II
memory present.
There is no plan to make everything run from that slow memory ;-)

Hmm, perhaps I can just fake Zorro II memory in a memfile, and test it on my
A4000?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [hidden email]

                                -- Linus Torvalds

Am 05.12.2018 um 10:16 schrieb Geert Uytterhoeven <[hidden email]>:

>> About disk: there is the Budda IDE card for quite a few bugs: https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/buddha-ide.html :
>>> The Linux- and NetBSD drivers for older versions of the Buddha controller can be used on this new version without change.
> None of the above should be needed to test this. A plain A3000/030 with
> Zorro II expansion card with Zorro II memory should suffice.

Of course… but I assumed that Christian obtained that A3000 for a purpose other than having a nice looking brick on his table… ;)

>> About ZII memory… I still might have a ZII card with some memory on it, but memory with <5 MB/s bandwidth? Come on...!! ;)
> The point is that the kernel (probably) crashes if there is Zorro II
> memory present.
> There is no plan to make everything run from that slow memory ;-)
> Hmm, perhaps I can just fake Zorro II memory in a memfile, and test it on my
> A4000?

Or maybe use the memory of a graphic card like a PicassoII or so (if available)?

On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 11:22:00AM +0100, Ingo J?rgensmann wrote:
> Am 05.12.2018 um 10:16 schrieb Geert Uytterhoeven <[hidden email]>:
>
> >> About disk: there is the Budda IDE card for quite a few bugs: https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/buddha-ide.html :
> > None of the above should be needed to test this. A plain A3000/030 with
> > Zorro II expansion card with Zorro II memory should suffice.
>
> Of course??? but I assumed that Christian obtained that A3000 for a purpose other than having a nice looking brick on his table??? ;)

I spent already way too much on outdated m68k hardware. I don't see myself
using it much, even if it had an 060. I have already a fully equipped Amiga,
Atari and Mac sitting around.
The A3k was free, I just could not see it go into the trash. If there were a
reasonable priced FPGA accelerator, we could talk again. But the brick looks
quite nice next to the Next cube :-)

> >> About ZII memory??? I still might have a ZII card with some memory on it, but memory with <5 MB/s bandwidth? Come on...!! ;)
> > The point is that the kernel (probably) crashes if there is Zorro II
> > memory present.
> > There is no plan to make everything run from that slow memory ;-)
> > Hmm, perhaps I can just fake Zorro II memory in a memfile, and test it on my
> > A4000?
>
> Or maybe use the memory of a graphic card like a PicassoII or so (if available)?

I should have a spare PicassoII as well, it did not make much of a
difference when I bought the PIV for my A2k. I said, I spent already too
much on m68k...

So I need to get amiboot and a kernel image on a disk? That would be a great
use for the 100MB IDE flash modules. I could use the Buddha from the A2k to
connect them if needed.

Christian

On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 01:59:07PM +1300, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> Johny,
>
> no, that would still allow normal use of both FastRAM and RAM expansion in
> the Zorro-III slot, from what I can tell (assuming the kernel is loaded to
> FastRAM - thanks Ingo for the memory map).
>
> This is about testing kernel behaviour where Zorro-II RAM was excluded from
> use as system memory, which worked fine up to conversion of m68k from
> bootmem to memblock.
>
> We'd need both Zorro-II RAM and FastRAM (or Zorro-III RAM).

So the A3k is booting. It has two SCSI disks, one of them I put into a PC so
that I can copy the files required for the test. There is no Linux installed
on the machine, just the basic AmigaOS3.1. Where do I get a kernel image
(and meory map?) to test?

There are already several expansion boards built in, I would need to shuffle
them around for the GVP board, the memory modules are too tall to fit into
the bottom slow. Is there a trick to pull out a board without taking out the
bridge/raiser board first?

In case video RAM is suitable for testing, maybe one of the already built-in
board would do. There is an Ariadne, an S3 based video card it seems, and
something which looks like a parallel and serial connector. On the next boot
I should write down the IDs to identify the boards... would the video card
be sufficient for the test?

Just to make sure, a standard A3k has Z-III RAM (built-in)?

Christian

On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 8:27 PM Christian T. Steigies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 01:59:07PM +1300, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > no, that would still allow normal use of both FastRAM and RAM expansion in
> > the Zorro-III slot, from what I can tell (assuming the kernel is loaded to
> > FastRAM - thanks Ingo for the memory map).
> >
> > This is about testing kernel behaviour where Zorro-II RAM was excluded from
> > use as system memory, which worked fine up to conversion of m68k from
> > bootmem to memblock.
> >
> > We'd need both Zorro-II RAM and FastRAM (or Zorro-III RAM).
>
> So the A3k is booting. It has two SCSI disks, one of them I put into a PC so
> that I can copy the files required for the test. There is no Linux installed
> on the machine, just the basic AmigaOS3.1. Where do I get a kernel image
> (and meory map?) to test?
>
> There are already several expansion boards built in, I would need to shuffle
> them around for the GVP board, the memory modules are too tall to fit into
> the bottom slow. Is there a trick to pull out a board without taking out the
> bridge/raiser board first?
>
> In case video RAM is suitable for testing, maybe one of the already built-in
> board would do. There is an Ariadne, an S3 based video card it seems, and
> something which looks like a parallel and serial connector. On the next boot
> I should write down the IDs to identify the boards... would the video card
> be sufficient for the test?
>
> Just to make sure, a standard A3k has Z-III RAM (built-in)?

Yes, the motherboard RAM is Z-III.

In the mean time, I managed to test my patch on my A4000, and I have
sent out a new and improved patch, cfr.
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20181207165011.31497-1-geert@.../

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [hidden email]

                                -- Linus Torvalds

Am 10.12.2018 um 08:26 schrieb Christian T. Steigies:

> On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 01:59:07PM +1300, Michael Schmitz wrote:
>> Johny,
>>
>> no, that would still allow normal use of both FastRAM and RAM expansion in
>> the Zorro-III slot, from what I can tell (assuming the kernel is loaded to
>> FastRAM - thanks Ingo for the memory map).
>>
>> This is about testing kernel behaviour where Zorro-II RAM was excluded from
>> use as system memory, which worked fine up to conversion of m68k from
>> bootmem to memblock.
>>
>> We'd need both Zorro-II RAM and FastRAM (or Zorro-III RAM).
>
> So the A3k is booting. It has two SCSI disks, one of them I put into a PC so
> that I can copy the files required for the test. There is no Linux installed
> on the machine, just the basic AmigaOS3.1. Where do I get a kernel image
> (and meory map?) to test?

I'll build one with Geert's latest version of this patch. Don't think we
need a memfile with your combination of RAM modules.

Cheers,

        Michael