Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

kaye n
Hello Friends!

I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file manager as root?

Right now what I do is this:

Open xfce4-terminal,
Execute:  sudo thunar
Type my password.

Not a big deal but if there is an easier way I'd like to know.

Thank you!

Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

kaye n

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:40 AM kaye n <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Friends!

I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file manager as root?

Right now what I do is this:

Open xfce4-terminal,
Execute:  sudo thunar
Type my password.

Not a big deal but if there is an easier way I'd like to know.

Thank you!

By the way, my system:
Host: laptop
Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64
bits: 64
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4
Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

john doe-6
On 4/7/2020 7:42 PM, kaye n wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:40 AM kaye n <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Friends!
>>
>> I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file manager
>> as root?
>>
>> Right now what I do is this:
>>
>> Open xfce4-terminal,
>> Execute:  sudo thunar
>> Type my password.
>>
>> Not a big deal but if there is an easier way I'd like to know.

What is the issue?:
- Entering pwd when prompted
- Opening XFCE for terminal

John Doe

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:50 AM john doe <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 4/7/2020 7:42 PM, kaye n wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:40 AM kaye n <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Friends!
>>
>> I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file manager
>> as root?
>>
>> Right now what I do is this:
>>
>> Open xfce4-terminal,
>> Execute:  sudo thunar
>> Type my password.
>>
>> Not a big deal but if there is an easier way I'd like to know.

What is the issue?:
- Entering pwd when prompted
- Opening XFCE for terminal

--
John Doe

No issue at all. I was just wondering if there was another way.  In another distro, I press Ctrl+Alt+Space and type 'gksu filemanager' and type my password, that's it.  I find it much easier. Plus there's no terminal open in the background.

But like I said, not a big deal. Just asking if there's another way besides opening terminal and typing 'sudo thunar' then password.

That's all.
Thanks

RE: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

ghe-2
How about 'sudo thunar'?

Glenn English

Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

Alexis Grigoriou
On Wed, 2020-04-08 at 01:40 +0800, kaye n wrote:

> Hello Friends!
>
> I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file
> manager
> as root?
>
> Right now what I do is this:
>
> Open xfce4-terminal,
> Execute:  sudo thunar
> Type my password.
>
> Not a big deal but if there is an easier way I'd like to know.
>
> Thank you!

You could press Alt-F2 and enter sudo thunar.
Since I don't use sudo, I can't test if it works. But I can see no
reason why it shouldn't work.

Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

Alexander V. Makartsev
On 4/7/2020 7:42 PM, kaye n wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 1:40 AM kaye n <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello Friends!
>>
>> I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file manager
>> as root?
>>
>> Right now what I do is this:
>>
>> Open xfce4-terminal,
>> Execute:  sudo thunar
>> Type my password.
>>
>> Not a big deal but if there is an easier way I'd like to know.

What is the issue?:
- Entering pwd when prompted
- Opening XFCE for terminal

--
John Doe

No issue at all. I was just wondering if there was another way.  In another distro, I press Ctrl+Alt+Space and type 'gksu filemanager' and type my password, that's it.  I find it much easier. Plus there's no terminal open in the background.

But like I said, not a big deal. Just asking if there's another way besides opening terminal and typing 'sudo thunar' then password.

That's all.
Thanks

You can create a custom .desktop file by using "exo-desktop-item-edit" [1] utility:
       $ exo-desktop-item-edit --create-new -t Application --name "Hazardous Thunar" --comment "Open Thunar with elevated rights" --command "pkexec /usr/bin/thunar" --icon "Thunar" ~/Desktop/
This command will create application file named "Hazardous Thunar" on your Desktop.
You can create a new item for your application panel [2], using Launcher plugin, in the same manner.
gksu\gksudo is now deprecated, so you have to use "pkexec" to launch files as root with GUI dialog. Fortunately Thunar already comes with polkit [3] action file, so you don't have to make a custom one.

[1] https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/exo/desktop-item-edit
[2] https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/start#panel
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/PolicyKit
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀

Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

Cindy Sue Causey
On 4/7/20, Alexis Grigoriou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-04-08 at 01:40 +0800, kaye n wrote:
>> I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file
>> manager as root?
>>
>> Right now what I do is this:
>>
>> Open xfce4-terminal,
>> Execute:  sudo thunar
>> Type my password.
>>

> You could press Alt-F2 and enter sudo thunar.
> Since I don't use sudo, I can't test if it works. But I can see no
> reason why it shouldn't work.

I actually tried that myself a little bit ago. It didn't work. The
reason I thought to try it is that I *have* had that work for
something in the past. I'm guessing it maybe worked on either a
different Debian release or different Linux distribution entirely..

That ALT+F1, F2... I stopped doing that only with this Dell Inspiron
Duo laptop I'm on. Takes too much coordination of my fingertips
because I have to (keep remembering to) hit Fn+ALT+F2 for it to
function.

It seems like there's a toggle switch somewhere that triggered a "Hey,
wonder what THAT CHOICE does when you click it?" moment. Whatever that
option is, what it (apparently) does is make you have to toss in that
Fn key on regular occasions that you don't use it for on other
keyboards...

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed (sometimes stuck up under the keycaps) *

On 4/7/20 12:58 PM, ghe wrote:

> How about 'sudo thunar'?

To get past the Alt... and password stuff, put this in /etc/sudoers,
running 'visudo' as root:

<user> ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL

It all works, with no whining, on my Buster box (and several earlier
releases).

Glenn English

Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

Joe Rowan
On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 01:40:38 +0800
kaye n <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Friends!
>
> I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file
> manager as root?
>
> Right now what I do is this:
>
> Open xfce4-terminal,
> Execute:  sudo thunar
> Type my password.
>
> Not a big deal but if there is an easier way I'd like to know.

I think you've been answered, but let me try the usual thing of
answering a different question.

Do you really need Thunar as root very often? I very occasionally use
Nautilus as root, so I don't mind the extra step. I'm careful to close
it immediately I've finished the job, I would be scared to leave a root
file manager open that looked exactly like my normal file manager. And
this is on a sid workstation, which is expendable.

I do almost all root work in mc, in a terminal window. There are only a
few things that a file GUI makes easier, and mc contains a simple text
editor and quite a few useful shortcuts. My server doesn't have X, so
it's mc by default there.

But the main reason is that I find it easier to remember I'm in a risky
environment when I'm using mc. I'm just automatically much more
cautious. Maybe it's distant memories of Norton Commander on DOS...

Joe

Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

Keith Bainbridge-4
On 8/4/20 5:31 am, Alexis Grigoriou wrote:
> You could press Alt-F2 and enter sudo thunar

Or is that gksu thunar

But I recall a similar question a few weeks back. Perhaps xfce doesn't
support gksu any longer.  I recall that it did back when I used it.

--
Keith Bainbridge

[hidden email]
+61 (0)447 667 468

On 8/4/20 6:44 am, ghe wrote:

> On 4/7/20 12:58 PM, ghe wrote:
>
>> How about 'sudo thunar'?
>
> To get past the Alt... and password stuff, put this in /etc/sudoers,
> running 'visudo' as root:
>
> <user> ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> It all works, with no whining, on my Buster box (and several earlier
> releases).

Better still, list commands that you are happy to run as sudo withOUT
passwd individually at the end of sudoers. eg

keith ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/....

Would I include a file manager?  Ummmm,no

--
Keith Bainbridge

[hidden email]
+61 (0)447 667 468

Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

David Wright-3
On Tue 07 Apr 2020 at 16:35:19 (-0400), Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

> On 4/7/20, Alexis Grigoriou <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2020-04-08 at 01:40 +0800, kaye n wrote:
> >> I was just wondering if there are  easier ways to open Thunar file
> >> manager as root?
> >>
> >> Right now what I do is this:
> >>
> >> Open xfce4-terminal,
> >> Execute:  sudo thunar
> >> Type my password.
> >
> > You could press Alt-F2 and enter sudo thunar.
> > Since I don't use sudo, I can't test if it works. But I can see no
> > reason why it shouldn't work.
>
> I actually tried that myself a little bit ago. It didn't work. The
> reason I thought to try it is that I *have* had that work for
> something in the past. I'm guessing it maybe worked on either a
> different Debian release or different Linux distribution entirely..
>
> That ALT+F1, F2... I stopped doing that only with this Dell Inspiron
> Duo laptop I'm on. Takes too much coordination of my fingertips
> because I have to (keep remembering to) hit Fn+ALT+F2 for it to
> function.
>
> It seems like there's a toggle switch somewhere that triggered a "Hey,
> wonder what THAT CHOICE does when you click it?" moment. Whatever that
> option is, what it (apparently) does is make you have to toss in that
> Fn key on regular occasions that you don't use it for on other
> keyboards...

The mode you appear to be describing is selected in the BIOS on this
Lenovo laptop, where it's described as HotKey Mode. When enabled, the
✈F7 key, for example, will put the Wireless into airplane mode, and you
need to hold down Fn to get the real F7 function. I disable HotKey Mode,
so that you have to hold down Fn to get ✈.

Cheers,
David.

Re: Any way to open Thunar as root beside this?

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Ma, 07 apr 20, 22:31:18, Alexis Grigoriou wrote:

> You could press Alt-F2 and enter sudo thunar.
> Since I don't use sudo, I can't test if it works. But I can see no
> reason why it shouldn't work.

It won't work if sudo needs to prompt for a password (because there's no
terminal).

Kind regards,
Andrei

On 8/4/20 4:57 pm, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Ma, 07 apr 20, 22:31:18, Alexis Grigoriou wrote:
>>
>> You could press Alt-F2 and enter sudo thunar.
>> Since I don't use sudo, I can't test if it works. But I can see no
>> reason why it shouldn't work.
>
> It won't work if sudo needs to prompt for a password (because there's no
> terminal).
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

alt-f2 used pop-up a box to enter the password, if needed
--
Keith Bainbridge

[hidden email]
+61 (0)447 667 468