BUSTER install - CATCH-22

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

BUSTER install - CATCH-22

Richard Owlett-3
I wish to install Buster on a machine with essentially *NO* internet
connectivity.
I downloaded the DVD1 ISO on my primary machine [creates secondary
problem of being up against data cap].
The installation, having put the DVD1 ISO on a flash drive, encountered
no problems

*HOWEVER* I need several packages [gparted, tcl, tk] which are in the
DVD image.

Synaptic is unable to install them:
   1. sources.list refers to a non-existent physical DVD.
   2. the default installation has no way of informing Synaptic
      that it should look for an alternate iso image.
   3. modifying sources.list was unsuccessful

I added the line
> deb "file:/media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian" buster contrib main

to the beginning of sources.list .

The Synaptic error message when attempting
    Edit --> Reload Package Information
was
  > Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file
'/media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian/dists/buster/InRelease'
couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission
denied)The repository 'cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Buster_ -
Official Snapshot amd64 DVD Binary-1 20190327-09:46] buster Release'
does not have a Release file.Updating from such a repository can't be
done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.See apt-secure(8)
manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.The
repository 'file:/media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian buster
Release' is not signed.

This is unacceptable when installation via an iso image on a flash drive
is becoming more and more common.

What package(s) to file bug(s) against?
Was the syntax of the line added to sources.list correct?
How to work around the permission issues in the error message?
    Ran into something similar when Squeeze was current.
    I haven't found my correspondence from that time to
    see if it covers current situation.

TIA



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22

bw-2
In-Reply-To: <[hidden email]>

<snip>

>The installation, having put the DVD1 ISO on a flash drive, encountered
>no problems
>
>
>*HOWEVER* I need several packages [gparted, tcl, tk] which are in the DVD
>image.
>
>
>Synaptic is unable to install them:
>  1. sources.list refers to a non-existent physical DVD.
>  2. the default installation has no way of informing Synaptic
>     that it should look for an alternate iso image.
>  3. modifying sources.list was unsuccessful
>
>I added the line
>
>    deb "file:/media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian" buster contrib main
<snip>

The line left by the installer usually looks something like:
deb cdrom:[Name of CD/DVD - The word Official and the Date]/ buster main

and if you mount either the usb or the .iso to /media/cdrom then apt can
find it and you can continue installing pkgs from it after first boot.

Haven't people warned you that apt or apt-get is preferred over synaptic?  
Do it the easy way.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22

didier.gaumet
In reply to this post by Richard Owlett-3
Le 31/03/2019 à 15:28, Richard Owlett a écrit :
[...]
> I added the line
>> deb "file:/media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian" buster contrib
>> main
>
> to the beginning of sources.list .
[...]
> This is unacceptable when installation via an iso image on a flash drive
> is becoming more and more common.
>
> What package(s) to file bug(s) against?
[...]

This is unacceptable not to read the apt-cdrom manpage ;-)
The package to file a bug against is CTK ;-)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22

Richard Owlett-3
In reply to this post by bw-2
On 03/31/2019 08:55 AM, bw wrote:

> In-Reply-To: <[hidden email]>
>
> <snip>
>> The installation, having put the DVD1 ISO on a flash drive, encountered
>> no problems
>>
>>
>> *HOWEVER* I need several packages [gparted, tcl, tk] which are in the DVD
>> image.
>>
>>
>> Synaptic is unable to install them:
>>   1. sources.list refers to a non-existent physical DVD.
>>   2. the default installation has no way of informing Synaptic
>>      that it should look for an alternate iso image.
>>   3. modifying sources.list was unsuccessful
>>
>> I added the line
>>
>>     deb "file:/media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian" buster contrib main
> <snip>
>
> The line left by the installer usually looks something like:
> deb cdrom:[Name of CD/DVD - The word Official and the Date]/ buster main

Yes, but ... <chuckle>
By default automount of flash drives is enabled and
    /media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian
is how the system identifies the mounted flash drive.
[And I've forgotten how to disable automount]


>
> and if you mount either the usb or the .iso to /media/cdrom then apt can
> find it and you can continue installing pkgs from it after first boot.

Can't do that as it is already mounted. Tried another workaround and
crashed the system. Doing a re-install now. As I've work to do, I'll
install manually install the needed packages before closing the installer.

>
> Haven't people warned you that apt or apt-get is preferred over synaptic?

Opinions differ ;/

> Do it the easy way.

That's why I use Synaptic.
Besides I suspect a typical user will use a GUI when possible.
I have found a problem and believe I should document it. Besides, before
retirement, I was an inspector. Concern for "minor" details is my nature.

Thank you.



>
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22

Richard Owlett-3
In reply to this post by didier.gaumet
On 04/01/2019 02:51 AM, didier gaumet wrote:

> Le 31/03/2019 à 15:28, Richard Owlett a écrit :
> [...]
>> I added the line
>>> deb "file:/media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian" buster contrib
>>> main
>>
>> to the beginning of sources.list .
> [...]
>> This is unacceptable when installation via an iso image on a flash drive
>> is becoming more and more common.
>>
>> What package(s) to file bug(s) against?
> [...]
>
> This is unacceptable not to read the apt-cdrom manpage ;-)

No indication it refers to anything but mechanical drive.


> The package to file a bug against is CTK ;-)
>
>
>



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22

bw-2
In reply to this post by Richard Owlett-3
In-Reply-To: <[hidden email]>

>Concern for "minor" details is my nature.

In the spirit of April Fools' I will concede that you are absolutely (not)
right:  You can't mount a device again when it's already mounted
automagically, and besides... the debian installer should know that you
installed this automount thing, right?  Your "default" installation should
be the same as every other installation and work the way you and
everybody else wants it to, no matter what the individual needs are.

For a retired inspector, you sure come across as a real bungler sometimes.
I hope you get it together, you have been posting these threads for what,
6 or 7 months now?  How long is it going to take you to realize that
though opinions do differ, some opinions have been proven to be more valid
than others?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22

Jason-4
In reply to this post by Richard Owlett-3
On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 07:23:49AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 03/31/2019 08:55 AM, bw wrote:
> >In-Reply-To: <[hidden email]>
> >
> ><snip>
> >>The installation, having put the DVD1 ISO on a flash drive, encountered
> >>no problems
> >>
> >>
> >>*HOWEVER* I need several packages [gparted, tcl, tk] which are in the DVD
> >>image.
> >>
> >>
> >>Synaptic is unable to install them:
> >>  1. sources.list refers to a non-existent physical DVD.
> >>  2. the default installation has no way of informing Synaptic
> >>     that it should look for an alternate iso image.
> >>  3. modifying sources.list was unsuccessful
> >>
> >>I added the line
> >>
> >>    deb "file:/media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian" buster contrib main
Looking at one of my sources.list files, I wonder if it shouldn't be
        deb "file:///media/ .......
(3 slashes instead of 1) ??

> ><snip>
> >
> >The line left by the installer usually looks something like:
> >deb cdrom:[Name of CD/DVD - The word Official and the Date]/ buster main
>
> Yes, but ... <chuckle>
> By default automount of flash drives is enabled and
>    /media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian
> is how the system identifies the mounted flash drive.
> [And I've forgotten how to disable automount]
>
My experience with automounters is that if you unmount / eject manually,
it won't auto remount until you unplug and replug the drive. So from the
file manager, select the mount point and from the right click menu
select 'unmount', 'eject', 'safely remove', or whatever your file
manager calls it, and then you should be able to mount it manually (from
a terminal) wherever you want it.

$ sudo mount /dev/$DEVICE /media/cdrom

>
> >
> >and if you mount either the usb or the .iso to /media/cdrom then apt can
> >find it and you can continue installing pkgs from it after first boot.
>
> Can't do that as it is already mounted. Tried another workaround and crashed
> the system. Doing a re-install now. As I've work to do, I'll install
> manually install the needed packages before closing the installer.
>
> >
> >Haven't people warned you that apt or apt-get is preferred over synaptic?
>
> Opinions differ ;/
>
> >Do it the easy way.
>
> That's why I use Synaptic.
> Besides I suspect a typical user will use a GUI when possible.
> I have found a problem and believe I should document it. Besides, before
> retirement, I was an inspector. Concern for "minor" details is my nature.
>
> Thank you.
I believe synaptic lets you configure the sources without manually
editing sources.list. See Settings > Repositories .

> >
> >
> >

--
Jason

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22

Richard Owlett-3
On 04/01/2019 06:11 PM, Jason wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 07:23:49AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> On 03/31/2019 08:55 AM, bw wrote:
>>> In-Reply-To: <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>> The installation, having put the DVD1 ISO on a flash drive, encountered
>>>> no problems
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> *HOWEVER* I need several packages [gparted, tcl, tk] which are in the DVD
>>>> image.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Synaptic is unable to install them:
>>>>   1. sources.list refers to a non-existent physical DVD.
>>>>   2. the default installation has no way of informing Synaptic
>>>>      that it should look for an alternate iso image.
>>>>   3. modifying sources.list was unsuccessful
>>>>
>>>> I added the line
>>>>
>>>>     deb "file:/media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian" buster contrib main
> Looking at one of my sources.list files, I wonder if it shouldn't be
> deb "file:///media/ .......
> (3 slashes instead of 1) ??

I was wondering about that. I've never had a clear understanding of when
to use 1 slash and when to use 3. I assumed that in this case 1 was
acceptable because how Synaptic's error message was phrased when
attempting Edit --> Reload Package Information.

>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> The line left by the installer usually looks something like:
>>> deb cdrom:[Name of CD/DVD - The word Official and the Date]/ buster main
>>
>> Yes, but ... <chuckle>
>> By default automount of flash drives is enabled and
>>     /media/richard/Debian testing amd64 1/debian
>> is how the system identifies the mounted flash drive.
>> [And I've forgotten how to disable automount]
>>
> My experience with automounters is that if you unmount / eject manually,
> it won't auto remount until you unplug and replug the drive. So from the
> file manager, select the mount point and from the right click menu
> select 'unmount', 'eject', 'safely remove', or whatever your file
> manager calls it, and then you should be able to mount it manually (from
> a terminal) wherever you want it.
>
> $ sudo mount /dev/$DEVICE /media/cdrom

That's not so clear cut. MATE's Caja offers 2 choices ["Eject" and
"Safely Remove Drive"]. Both remove it from MATE's Places menu. Using a
subsequent mount command will mount it "read only". Have not checked for
other ramifications.

>
>>
>>>
>>> and if you mount either the usb or the .iso to /media/cdrom then apt can
>>> find it and you can continue installing pkgs from it after first boot.
>>
>> Can't do that as it is already mounted. Tried another workaround and crashed
>> the system. Doing a re-install now. As I've work to do, I'll install
>> manually install the needed packages before closing the installer.
>>
>>>
>>> Haven't people warned you that apt or apt-get is preferred over synaptic?
>>
>> Opinions differ ;/
>>
>>> Do it the easy way.
>>
>> That's why I use Synaptic.
>> Besides I suspect a typical user will use a GUI when possible.
>> I have found a problem and believe I should document it. Besides, before
>> retirement, I was an inspector. Concern for "minor" details is my nature.
>>
>> Thank you.
> I believe synaptic lets you configure the sources without manually
> editing sources.list. See Settings > Repositories .

I found that after I posted. Didn't have time to fully investigate. I
didn't act as I expected. Need to pursue documentation.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 05:33:05AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

[...]

> I was wondering about that. I've never had a clear understanding of
> when to use 1 slash and when to use 3. I assumed that in this case 1
> was acceptable because how Synaptic's error message was phrased when
> attempting Edit --> Reload Package Information.

Wikipedia [1] is your friend. The short version: in the three-slashes
variant, there's a little space between the two last, where you could
put a hostname (you see it now, when you squint?). If that host name
is empty, 'localhost' is assumed.

But in the case of localhost, you can leave out the two leading slashes
altogether. So file:///foo/bar and file:/foo/bar are equivalent and
both mean file://localhost/foo/bar.

Whether your strange desktop software (sorry, I couldn't resist)
implements that correctly or not is quite another story, though.

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme#How_many_slashes?
-- t

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Systemic Debian bug -- was [Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22]

Richard Owlett-3
In reply to this post by Richard Owlett-3
Rather than quote my original post, I'll restate the underlying problem.

In the beginning, Joe Average would obtain Debian on a set of physical
installation CDs. He boots from it. The installer does it's thing.
Later, desiring additional software, he inserts the same CD and allows
Synaptic to do it's thing.

Time passes. Joe obtains a USB flash drive whose content is an image of
the installation CD/DVD. It came with instructions on how to boot from
it. The installer does it's thing. Later, wanting additional software,
he inserts the flash drive. Synaptic tells him to insert a non-existent
CD/DVD in a possibly non-existent drive.

At this point, the same cognoscenti who bemoan Linux lacking market
penetration tell him to go read some techie manuals and perform arcane
incantations. As true ostriches they insist the problem is "operator error".


I was going to document here the work-a-round I successfully used
yesterday to install desired additional packages.

Before doing so, I attempted to duplicate the steps performed yesterday.
I received a strange error message. I suspect I know the source of the
problem(s). It will take at least a day to document.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Systemic Debian bug -- was [Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22]

Nicholas Geovanis-2


On Wed, Apr 3, 2019, 8:26 AM Richard Owlett <[hidden email]> wrote:

At this point, the same cognoscenti who bemoan Linux lacking market
penetration tell him to go read some techie manuals and perform arcane
incantations. As true ostriches they insist the problem is "operator error".

This is a misperception. Linux rules the data center, not the desktop. Therefore the vast bulk of Linux installs are not done this way. Instead, entirely by network. I haven't heard anyone else complain about the mount message I don't believe.

Now I think that the specific volume information displayed is just the text in sources.list. So perhaps you could replace it with your desired text.

I was going to document here the work-a-round I successfully used
yesterday to install desired additional packages.

Before doing so, I attempted to duplicate the steps performed yesterday.
I received a strange error message. I suspect I know the source of the
problem(s). It will take at least a day to document.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Systemic Debian bug -- was [Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22]

John Hasler-3
In reply to this post by Richard Owlett-3
Richard Owlett writes:
> At this point, the same cognoscenti who bemoan Linux lacking market
> penetration tell him to go read some techie manuals and perform arcane
> incantations. As true ostriches they insist the problem is "operator
> error".

This is a good way to not get any help.
--
John Hasler
[hidden email]
Elmwood, WI USA

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Systemic Debian bug -- was [Re: BUSTER install - CATCH-22]

Curt
In reply to this post by Richard Owlett-3
On 2019-04-03, Richard Owlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I was going to document here the work-a-round I successfully used
> yesterday to install desired additional packages.

There's a bug report concerning this from 2014.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=745381

In that thread our very own Brian P. states:

 It would appear that on Wheezy it is necessary for '--no-auto-detect'
 to be added to the apt-cdrom command to get sources.list written to.

 On Jessie 'sudo apt-cdrom -d /media/usb0 add' works with or without
 this option.

I guess the above holds true for Stretch and Buster, buster (but it's only a
guess)?

> Before doing so, I attempted to duplicate the steps performed yesterday.
> I received a strange error message. I suspect I know the source of the
> problem(s). It will take at least a day to document.
>
>
>


--
“Let us again pretend that life is a solid substance, shaped like a globe,
which we turn about in our fingers. Let us pretend that we can make out a plain
and logical story, so that when one matter is despatched--love for instance--
we go on, in an orderly manner, to the next.” - Virginia Woolf, The Waves