Backports needed for Firefox/Thunderbird ESR 68 in Stretch

Backports needed for Firefox/Thunderbird ESR 68 in Stretch

Moritz Mühlenhoff-2
Hi,
Firefox 68 will be the next ESR release series. With the release of Firefox 68.2
on October 22nd, support for ESR 60 will cease.

ESR 68 will require an updated Rust/Cargo toolchain and build dependencies not
present in Stretch (nodejs 8, llvm-toolchain-7, cbindgen and maybe more).
Stretch was already updated wrt Rust/Cargo for ESR 60, so there's at least no
requirement to bootstrap stage0 builds this time.

If we want to continue to have Firefox/Thunderbird supported in oldstable-security
after October, someone needs to step up to take care of backports to a Stretch point
release before October 22nd (or in case of poor timing, we can also release build
dependency updates via stretch-security).

Cheers,
        Moritz

Re: Backports needed for Firefox/Thunderbird ESR 68 in Stretch

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult-3
On 02.07.19 22:45, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:

Hi,

> ESR 68 will require an updated Rust/Cargo toolchain and build dependencies not
> present in Stretch (nodejs 8, llvm-toolchain-7, cbindgen and maybe more).
> Stretch was already updated wrt Rust/Cargo for ESR 60, so there's at least no
> requirement to bootstrap stage0 builds this time.

Few days ago I had a try with newer rust/cargo version from unstable on
stretch. Unfortunately failed miserably, eg. certain libs were missing
in the source tree, and some of them even couldn't be found on upstream
git repo anymore.

Seems that rust/cargo needs a lot more attention.

> If we want to continue to have Firefox/Thunderbird supported in oldstable-security
> after October, someone needs to step up to take care of backports to a Stretch point
> release before October 22nd (or in case of poor timing, we can also release build
> dependency updates via stretch-security).

ACK. I haven't had a chance to take a deeper look at the rust/cargo
issue yet (currently too occupied with other things). If anybody could
come forward with a solution, I'd be really glad.

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
[hidden email] -- +49-151-27565287

On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 10:45:20PM +0200, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:

> Hi,
> Firefox 68 will be the next ESR release series. With the release of Firefox 68.2
> on October 22nd, support for ESR 60 will cease.
>
> ESR 68 will require an updated Rust/Cargo toolchain and build dependencies not
> present in Stretch (nodejs 8, llvm-toolchain-7, cbindgen and maybe more).
> Stretch was already updated wrt Rust/Cargo for ESR 60, so there's at least no
> requirement to bootstrap stage0 builds this time.
>
> If we want to continue to have Firefox/Thunderbird supported in oldstable-security
> after October, someone needs to step up to take care of backports to a Stretch point
> release before October 22nd (or in case of poor timing, we can also release build
> dependency updates via stretch-security).

There hasn't been any visible movement on this, so unless someone steps up RSN,
there'll be a headsup about the EOL in the next ESR 60 DSA, so that people
have some advance warning.

Cheers,
        Moritz