Behavior for icons of photographs in 2.30

Behavior for icons of photographs in 2.30

Dennis Carr-2
Running 2.30 in Debian Squeeze (Stable).

Currently, if I offload photographs from my digital camera, Nautilus
will happily auto-rotate the icons in such a way that it thinks is
correct, and when viewing in the image viewer, it reflects that
they've been rotated. Well, it looks nice, except for one thing
- it's only rotating the metadata, it doesn't actually rotate the
picture.  So imagine my amazement when most of my photos are *sideways*
after uploading them to a webpage.

Ultimately, I need to change this behavior - either the photos should
actually rotate beyond the metadata level, or they shouldn't rotate at
all, allowing me to manually go through my photos and manually rotate
them.

How do I change this?

-Dennis Carr

Re: Behavior for icons of photographs in 2.30

Ross Burton
On 22 December 2011 07:02, Dennis Carr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Currently, if I offload photographs from my digital camera, Nautilus
> will happily auto-rotate the icons in such a way that it thinks is
> correct, and when viewing in the image viewer, it reflects that
> they've been rotated. Well, it looks nice, except for one thing
> - it's only rotating the metadata, it doesn't actually rotate the
> picture.  So imagine my amazement when most of my photos are *sideways*
> after uploading them to a webpage.
>
> Ultimately, I need to change this behavior - either the photos should
> actually rotate beyond the metadata level, or they shouldn't rotate at
> all, allowing me to manually go through my photos and manually rotate
> them.
>
> How do I change this?

How and why would GNOME rotate the image content?  In this scenario
Nautilus is auto-rotating for display the thumbnail (which if it was
extracted from a thumbnail in the file is already correctly rotated)
but your web server isn't auto-rotating.  Note that e.g. Flickr will
correctly rotate images for display when you upload them.

Ross

Re: Behavior for icons of photographs in 2.30

Dennis Carr-2
On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 23:02:34 -0800
Dennis Carr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Running 2.30 in Debian Squeeze (Stable).

Never mind on this issue.  I resolved it - it comes down to that not
everything reads the 'exif:orientation' metadata; the solution was to
use exiftool to eliminate it from the equation.

-Dennis