Bible study tools in Debian repository - End-user support?

Bible study tools in Debian repository - End-user support?

Richard Owlett-3
I'm running Debian 9.8 and have just installed BibleTime, Xiphos, and
diatheke. I expect BibleTime will become my primary tool. The available
documentation has breadth, if not depth.

For the type of usage questions I have, I have found archives of mailing
lists and USENET groups to be a valuable tool in filling in voids in my
background to avoid "newbie" confusion. I searched the various homepages
without finding what I was looking for. One site explicitly stated they
do not have publicly available user support fora. A web search turned up
some old posts, all several years old.

Can anyone suggest an active mailing list or USNET group where usage
questions about these programs would be acceptably on-topic? I find web
based fora difficult to follow.

TIA

Re: Bible study tools in Debian repository - End-user support?

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 05:41:02AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm running Debian 9.8 and have just installed BibleTime, Xiphos, and
> diatheke. I expect BibleTime will become my primary tool. The available
> documentation has breadth, if not depth.
>
> For the type of usage questions I have, I have found archives of mailing
> lists and USENET groups to be a valuable tool in filling in voids in my
> background to avoid "newbie" confusion. I searched the various homepages
> without finding what I was looking for. One site explicitly stated they do
> not have publicly available user support fora. A web search turned up some
> old posts, all several years old.
>
> Can anyone suggest an active mailing list or USNET group where usage
> questions about these programs would be acceptably on-topic? I find web
> based fora difficult to follow.

Hi Richard,

Based on your description, those types of discussions would be on-topic
for this list.  However, if you are interested in a more focused
specifically oriented toward Bible study aids, or even Bible study aids
particularly in Debian, then I am not aware of such a specifically
focused group.  However, the Debian team that maintains most (or perhaps
all, I am not certain) of these packages has a mailing list here:
[hidden email]

As the name would suggest, the primary purpose of the list is
development-related discussions (bug reports, package maintenance,
etc.).  But if you have a look at the archives, the list goes long
periods without any discussion, which is to say that the traffic is
quite low.  If you are not able to find another list, feel free to ask
your questions there.  As far as a I know, all of us on the list are
active users of these tools in addition to maintaining them.  We should
be able to help you out with what you need there if you decide that your
questions are off-topic here on debian-user.

Regards,

-Roberto

Roberto C. Sánchez

Re: Bible study tools in Debian repository - End-user support?

Curt
On 2019-10-09, Richard Owlett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running Debian 9.8 and have just installed BibleTime, Xiphos, and
> diatheke. I expect BibleTime will become my primary tool. The available
> documentation has breadth, if not depth.
>
> For the type of usage questions I have, I have found archives of mailing
> lists and USENET groups to be a valuable tool in filling in voids in my
> background to avoid "newbie" confusion. I searched the various homepages
> without finding what I was looking for. One site explicitly stated they
> do not have publicly available user support fora. A web search turned up
> some old posts, all several years old.

Have you looked here?

https://github.com/bibletime/bibletime/issues

I guess you'd have to sign up for a GitHub account to participate.

--
"There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign."
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

On 10/09/2019 06:28 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 05:41:02AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'm running Debian 9.8 and have just installed BibleTime, Xiphos, and
>> diatheke. I expect BibleTime will become my primary tool. The available
>> documentation has breadth, if not depth.
>>
>> For the type of usage questions I have, I have found archives of mailing
>> lists and USENET groups to be a valuable tool in filling in voids in my
>> background to avoid "newbie" confusion. I searched the various homepages
>> without finding what I was looking for. One site explicitly stated they do
>> not have publicly available user support fora. A web search turned up some
>> old posts, all several years old.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest an active mailing list or USNET group where usage
>> questions about these programs would be acceptably on-topic? I find web
>> based fora difficult to follow.
>>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Based on your description, those types of discussions would be on-topic
> for this list.

I assumed that but believed that archives of a group specifically
oriented to Bible study tools would fill gaps in my background.

> However, if you are interested in a more focused
> specifically oriented toward Bible study aids, or even Bible study aids
> particularly in Debian, then I am not aware of such a specifically
> focused group.  However, the Debian team that maintains most (or perhaps
> all, I am not certain) of these packages has a mailing list here:
> [hidden email]

I browsed the posts at
[https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-crosswire-devel/]
for the last year. I don't think my initial questions would be suitably
on topic.

> As the name would suggest, the primary purpose of the list is
> development-related discussions (bug reports, package maintenance,
> etc.).  But if you have a look at the archives, the list goes long
> periods without any discussion, which is to say that the traffic is
> quite low.  If you are not able to find another list, feel free to ask
> your questions there.  As far as a I know, all of us on the list are
> active users of these tools in addition to maintaining them.  We should
> be able to help you out with what you need there if you decide that your
> questions are off-topic here on debian-user.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

My immediate BibleTime related questions include:
1. When display the Strong's entry for a word there is a field titled
"Morphology:". I find no references to the meaning of the abbreviations
used there.
2. Discussion of how to best use the "Personal commentary" tool.

Another issue is difference(s) (if any) in the target audience of
BibleTime and Xiphos.

I know I don't have the latest release as this particular machine is
still at Debian 9.8. I'll be installing Debian 10 soon but have some
housekeeping issues to resolve first.

Thank you.

On 10/09/2019 07:06 AM, Curt wrote:

> On 2019-10-09, Richard Owlett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm running Debian 9.8 and have just installed BibleTime, Xiphos, and
>> diatheke. I expect BibleTime will become my primary tool. The available
>> documentation has breadth, if not depth.
>>
>> For the type of usage questions I have, I have found archives of mailing
>> lists and USENET groups to be a valuable tool in filling in voids in my
>> background to avoid "newbie" confusion. I searched the various homepages
>> without finding what I was looking for. One site explicitly stated they
>> do not have publicly available user support fora. A web search turned up
>> some old posts, all several years old.
>
> Have you looked here?
>
> https://github.com/bibletime/bibletime/issues

Yes. None of the topics there seemed personally relevant.
Perhaps it is I just don't grok github itself. I've unproductively gone
there before about other programs.

You will likely find them in an introductory university text book in linguistics or morphology. Or reference works in

On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 08:06:49AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I browsed the posts at
> [https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-crosswire-devel/]
> for the last year. I don't think my initial questions would be suitably on
> topic.

Understood.  Still, the offer stands.

> > As the name would suggest, the primary purpose of the list is
> > development-related discussions (bug reports, package maintenance,
> > etc.).  But if you have a look at the archives, the list goes long
> > periods without any discussion, which is to say that the traffic is
> > quite low.  If you are not able to find another list, feel free to ask
> > your questions there.  As far as a I know, all of us on the list are
> > active users of these tools in addition to maintaining them.  We should
> > be able to help you out with what you need there if you decide that your
> > questions are off-topic here on debian-user.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Roberto
> >

> My immediate BibleTime related questions include:
> 1. When display the Strong's entry for a word there is a field titled
> "Morphology:". I find no references to the meaning of the abbreviations used
> there.

I personally don't use the morphology information and my knowledge of
linguistics is sadly lacking.  A quick skim of the "Morphology
(linguistics)" article on Wikipedia indicates that it is a way of
describing the origins and relationships of various parts of a word or
phrase.

> 2. Discussion of how to best use the "Personal commentary" tool.

This doesn't make sense to me.  Are you referring to the mechanics for
using the personal commentary tool or principles for developing a
personal commentarty?

> Another issue is difference(s) (if any) in the target audience of BibleTime
> and Xiphos.

Personally, I use Gnome and Xiphos, being built with GTK, integrates a
bit better.  Bibletime is built with Qt and so it feels more like a KDE
application.  That said, I have encountered some annoying UI bugs with
Xiphos and have not made the time to report/fix them.

> I know I don't have the latest release as this particular machine is still
> at Debian 9.8. I'll be installing Debian 10 soon but have some housekeeping
> issues to resolve first.

One thing that I found with Xiphos (again, which I've not yet formally
reported) is that drop-down selections for book/chapter/verse no longer
scroll.  That is, if their contents extend past the top/bottom of the
screen, the widget no longer has the ability to scroll.  That means
either getting as close as possible then navigating with up/down arrows,
or directly typing in the particular location in the adjacent text
field.

I am not aware if Bibletime has any similarly annoying bugs.

Regards,

-Roberto

Roberto C. Sánchez

On 10/10/2019 06:39 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 08:06:49AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>> I browsed the posts at
>> [https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-crosswire-devel/]
>> for the last year. I don't think my initial questions would be suitably on
>> topic.
>>

> Understood.  Still, the offer stands.

I've taken another look at https://crosswire.org/forums/mvnforum/index .
Although web based fora, its content does have the perspective I want.

I've continued to explore https://crosswire.org .
I may find the answers to my questions with better search time. Also
they may be answered by a more complete understanding of the project's
mindset {after context is always relevance ;}.

On 10/09/2019 08:06 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> [snip]
>
> My immediate BibleTime related questions include:
> 1. When display the Strong's entry for a word there is a field titled
> "Morphology:". I find no references to the meaning of the abbreviations
> used there.

While searching for something else I found a March 2009 thread.
[https://crosswire.org/forums/mvnforum/viewthread_thread,772_offset,0/addmessage]

It references a no longer existing site [http://www.byztxt.com]
{available on Wayback Machine [https://web.archive.org]}.
It will take some digging to verify if still current.