Bug#361010: License problem with Tntnet

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#361010: License problem with Tntnet

Kari Pahula-2
On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 01:21:35PM +0200, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:
> Hi Kari,
>
> I found your comment about licensing-problems with Tntnet. I am not that
> familiar with licensing-issues, so I would like to ask you, if you mind
> telling me, what I need to add to Tntnet to fix this issue.

Here's a description of the problem.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/04/msg00084.html

And here's what can be done to resolve this issue.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/05/msg00595.html


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#361010: License problem with Tntnet

tommi (Bugzilla)
Am Dienstag, 11. April 2006 15:54 schrieben Sie:

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 01:21:35PM +0200, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:
> > Hi Kari,
> >
> > I found your comment about licensing-problems with Tntnet. I am not that
> > familiar with licensing-issues, so I would like to ask you, if you mind
> > telling me, what I need to add to Tntnet to fix this issue.
>
> Here's a description of the problem.
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/04/msg00084.html
>
> And here's what can be done to resolve this issue.
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/05/msg00595.html
Hi,

I uploaded a new tntnet version 1.5.1pre3 where I added the needed
license-addendum. Please check, if this is enough. I will release a 1.5.1
soon then.

You can download the package at
http://www.tntnet.org/download/tntnet-1.5.1pre3.tar.gz.

Tommi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#361010: License problem with Tntnet

Kari Pahula-2
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:10:55PM +0200, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 11. April 2006 15:54 schrieben Sie:
> > On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 01:21:35PM +0200, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:
> > > Hi Kari,
> > >
> > > I found your comment about licensing-problems with Tntnet. I am not that
> > > familiar with licensing-issues, so I would like to ask you, if you mind
> > > telling me, what I need to add to Tntnet to fix this issue.
> >
> > Here's a description of the problem.
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/04/msg00084.html
> >
> > And here's what can be done to resolve this issue.
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/05/msg00595.html
> Hi,
>
> I uploaded a new tntnet version 1.5.1pre3 where I added the needed
> license-addendum. Please check, if this is enough. I will release a 1.5.1
> soon then.

I had a look at it.  I'm afraid that it's not quite enough yet.  The
headers of source files would have to have the same exception in them,
too.

Also, FSF has moved some time ago.  You should update the address in
the LICENSE and LICENSE.GPL file and the source file headers.

Here's what's needed in the source files:

/*
 * (Copyright information...)
 *
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
 * published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
 * License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
 * is provided AS IS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied
 * warranty of MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, and
 * NON-INFRINGEMENT.  See the GNU General Public License for more details.
 *
 * You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
 * along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
 * Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301 USA
 *
 * In addition, as a special exception, the copyright holders give
 * permission to link the code of portions of this program with the
 * OpenSSL library under certain conditions as described in each
 * individual source file, and distribute linked combinations
 * including the two.
 * You must obey the GNU General Public License in all respects
 * for all of the code used other than OpenSSL.  If you modify
 * file(s) with this exception, you may extend this exception to your
 * version of the file(s), but you are not obligated to do so.  If you
 * do not wish to do so, delete this exception statement from your
 * version.  If you delete this exception statement from all source
 * files in the program, then also delete it here.
 */


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#361010: License problem with Tntnet

tommi (Bugzilla)
Am Freitag 21 April 2006 20:10 schrieb Kari Pahula:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:10:55PM +0200, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 11. April 2006 15:54 schrieben Sie:
> > > On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 01:21:35PM +0200, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:
> > > > Hi Kari,
> > > >
...
>
> I had a look at it.  I'm afraid that it's not quite enough yet.  The
> headers of source files would have to have the same exception in them,
> too.
>
> Also, FSF has moved some time ago.  You should update the address in
> the LICENSE and LICENSE.GPL file and the source file headers.
>
...

Hi,

thank you for your help. I updated my files. I haven't released it yet, but I
have a public subversion-repository at sourceforge now. You can check tntnet
out with "svn co https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/tntnet/trunc tntnet"
Would you please check it in my repository.

Tommi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#361010: License problem with Tntnet

Kari Pahula-2
On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 11:08:36PM +0200, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:
> Would you please check it in my repository.

As far as I can tell tntnet is in a good shape now.

I'm currently a bit busy myself but if nobody's ITPed this in a week
or two I'll look into getting this into Debian myself.