Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Svante Signell
Severity: Serious
--
Svante Signell <[hidden email]>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Maximilian Attems-3
severity 412799 normal
tags 412799 moreinfo, unreproducible
stop

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:01:49AM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> Severity: Serious
> --
> Svante Signell <[hidden email]>

boots fine here across many boxes.
how would that be if you posted the error messages? you are seeing!?

--
maks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Svante Signell
On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 10:44 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:

> severity 412799 normal
> tags 412799 moreinfo, unreproducible
> stop
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:01:49AM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > Severity: Serious
> > --
> > Svante Signell <[hidden email]>
>
> boots fine here across many boxes.
> how would that be if you posted the error messages? you are seeing!?
I have already listed the visible screen output until the hang. Is there
any way to get more information? I thought syslog does not log properly
and at next reboot you only see the successful boot log info.

>
> --
> maks
--
Svante Signell <[hidden email]>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Maximilian Attems-3
On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:21:43AM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> I have already listed the visible screen output until the hang. Is there
> any way to get more information? I thought syslog does not log properly
> and at next reboot you only see the successful boot log info.
 
the grub menu.lst might be interesting,
i assume an error there. please attach /boot/grub/menu.lst

--
maks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Svante Signell
On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 11:37 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:21:43AM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > I have already listed the visible screen output until the hang. Is there
> > any way to get more information? I thought syslog does not log properly
> > and at next reboot you only see the successful boot log info.
>  
> the grub menu.lst might be interesting,
> i assume an error there. please attach /boot/grub/menu.lst
I'm using lilo: LILO version 22.8 (Debian GNU/Linux)

Does not boot:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
        label=2618-4-686
        read-only

Boots OK:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-686
        label=2618-3-686
        read-only

> --
> maks
--
Svante Signell <[hidden email]>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Maximilian Attems-3
On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 12:10:50PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 11:37 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:21:43AM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > > I have already listed the visible screen output until the hang. Is there
> > > any way to get more information? I thought syslog does not log properly
> > > and at next reboot you only see the successful boot log info.
> >  
> > the grub menu.lst might be interesting,
> > i assume an error there. please attach /boot/grub/menu.lst
> I'm using lilo: LILO version 22.8 (Debian GNU/Linux)

hmm oldstyle block based..
 

> Does not boot:
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686
> initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
>         label=2618-4-686
>         read-only
>
> Boots OK:
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686
> initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-686
>         label=2618-3-686
>         read-only
>

can you also post the append line, don't be shy to append hole
lilo.conf. also the error message you are seeing is that there
is no initrd.img passed, can you please run lilo manualy and
recheck.

--
maks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Svante Signell
On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 12:30 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 12:10:50PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 11:37 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:21:43AM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > > > I have already listed the visible screen output until the hang. Is there
> > > > any way to get more information? I thought syslog does not log properly
> > > > and at next reboot you only see the successful boot log info.
> > >  
> > > the grub menu.lst might be interesting,
> > > i assume an error there. please attach /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > I'm using lilo: LILO version 22.8 (Debian GNU/Linux)
>
> hmm oldstyle block based..
>  
> > Does not boot:
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686
> > initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
> >         label=2618-4-686
> >         read-only
> >
> > Boots OK:
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686
> > initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-686
> >         label=2618-3-686
> >         read-only
> >
>
> can you also post the append line, don't be shy to append hole
> lilo.conf. also the error message you are seeing is that there
> is no initrd.img passed, can you please run lilo manualy and
> recheck.
The append line is blank, see below at lilo.conf.  The only nonzero
append command I have is a commented out append="irqpoll"

I have also run lilo manually several times, e.g lilo -v shows:
LILO version 22.8, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2006 John Coffman
Released 19-Feb-2007, and compiled at 10:11:20 on Mar  4 2007
Debian GNU/Linux

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
Using MENU secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
Added 2618-4-686

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-686
Added 2618-3-686 *

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-2-686
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-2-686
Added 2617-2-686

Writing boot sector.
/boot/boot.0301 exists - no boot sector backup copy made.

Excerpt from lilo.conf: (olny uncommented parts)

# Support LBA for large hard disks.
#
lba32

# Overrides the default mapping between harddisk names and the BIOS'
# harddisk order. Use with caution.
#disk=/dev/sda
#    bios=0x80
#disk=/dev/hda
#    bios=0x81

# Specifies the boot device.  This is where Lilo installs its boot
# block.  It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
# case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
#
boot=/dev/hda1

# Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. (`/')
#
root=/dev/hda1

# Specifies the location of the map file
#
map=/boot/map
        prompt
        delay=100
        timeout=100

# Specifies the VGA text mode at boot time. (normal, extended, ask,
<mode>)
vga=normal
# Kernel command line options that apply to all installed images go
# here.  See: The `boot-prompt-HOWO' and `kernel-parameters.txt' in
# the Linux kernel `Documentation' directory.
#
# append=""

# Boot up Linux by default.
#
#default=2618-4-686; does not boot!!
default=2618-3-686

Removed the lines given before!

>
--
Svante Signell <[hidden email]>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Maximilian Attems-3
On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 01:09:38PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:

> I have also run lilo manually several times, e.g lilo -v shows:
> LILO version 22.8, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
> Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2006 John Coffman
> Released 19-Feb-2007, and compiled at 10:11:20 on Mar  4 2007
> Debian GNU/Linux
>
> Reading boot sector from /dev/hda1
> Using MENU secondary loader
> Calling map_insert_data
>
> Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686
> Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
> Added 2618-4-686
>
> Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-3-686
> Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-686
> Added 2618-3-686 *
>
> Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-2-686
> Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-2-686
> Added 2617-2-686
>
> Writing boot sector.
> /boot/boot.0301 exists - no boot sector backup copy made.
>
> Excerpt from lilo.conf: (olny uncommented parts)
>
> # Support LBA for large hard disks.
> #
> lba32
>
> # Overrides the default mapping between harddisk names and the BIOS'
> # harddisk order. Use with caution.
> #disk=/dev/sda
> #    bios=0x80
> #disk=/dev/hda
> #    bios=0x81
>
> # Specifies the boot device.  This is where Lilo installs its boot
> # block.  It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
> # case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
> #
> boot=/dev/hda1

shouldn't boot be /dev/hda?
 

> # Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. (`/')
> #
> root=/dev/hda1
>
> # Specifies the location of the map file
> #
> map=/boot/map
>         prompt
>         delay=100
>         timeout=100
>
> # Specifies the VGA text mode at boot time. (normal, extended, ask,
> <mode>)
> vga=normal
> # Kernel command line options that apply to all installed images go
> # here.  See: The `boot-prompt-HOWO' and `kernel-parameters.txt' in
> # the Linux kernel `Documentation' directory.
> #
> # append=""
>
> # Boot up Linux by default.
> #
> #default=2618-4-686; does not boot!!
> default=2618-3-686
>
> Removed the lines given before!
>

--
maks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Svante Signell
On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 13:57 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 01:09:38PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > I have also run lilo manually several times, e.g lilo -v shows:
...
> > # Specifies the boot device.  This is where Lilo installs its boot
> > # block.  It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in which
> > # case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current MBR.
> > #
> > boot=/dev/hda1
>
> shouldn't boot be /dev/hda?

This setup has worked for years now! I don't want to try changing
without having a boot CD available. It is also a hassle to rewrite LILO
from a booted CD. I don't think this is the problem, all other kernels
from 2.2 onwards have booted properly on this box.

I did a reinstall of the kernel and initrd.img changed size, but still no successful boot :(
-rw------- 1 root root 1204645 2007-02-27 23:12 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
-rw------- 1 root root 1221818 2007-03-19 19:33 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686

#> apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-2.6.16-4-686
...
Unpacking replacement linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 ...
Setting up linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 (2.6.18.dfsg.1-11) ...

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic
link /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-686/source However, I can not read the
target: No such file or directory
Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/2.6.18-4-686/source

Running depmod.
Finding valid ramdisk creators.
Using mkinitrd.yaird to build the ramdisk.
Not updating initrd symbolic links since we are being
updated/reinstalled
(2.6.18.dfsg.1-11 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Not updating image symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(2.6.18.dfsg.1-11 was configured last, according to dpkg)
You already have a LILO configuration in /etc/lilo.conf
Running boot loader as requested
Testing lilo.conf ...
Testing successful.
Installing the partition boot sector...
Running /sbin/lilo  ...
Installation successful.

#> dpkg -S /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
yaird: /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird

#> dpkg -l yaird
ii  yaird          0.0.12-18      Yet Another mkInitRD
#>dpkg -l module-init-tools
ii  module-init-to 3.3-pre4-2     tools for managing Linux kernel
modules


> maks



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Maximilian Attems-3
On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:52:53PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> #> dpkg -S /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
> yaird: /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird

oh please use mkinitramfs, install initramfs-tools,
the postinst will pick it up automaticaly without troubles
as it is the default anyway.

interested if that boots?

and yes i agree that lilo is a pain, with grub you are
able to easier change boot params on boot.

--
maks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Svante Signell
On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 19:58 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:52:53PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > #> dpkg -S /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
> > yaird: /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
>
> oh please use mkinitramfs, install initramfs-tools,
> the postinst will pick it up automaticaly without troubles
> as it is the default anyway.
>
> interested if that boots?
#> dpkg -l initramfs-tools
ii  initramfs-tools 0.85f tools for generating an initramfs

Yes it boots. Now the initrd image is much larger:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4582735 2007-03-19 20:07 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686

compared to:
-rw------- 1 root root 1221818 2007-03-19 19:33 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686

According to the description yaird produces more compact images:

 Compared with earlier implementations like mkinitrd, it does a
 better job of deciding which modules are needed for your system,
 so it produces smaller images and there is less risk of making
 an image that will not boot.  This comes at a price:
 only Linux 2.6 is supported (because 2.6 has sysfs, which makes
 it a lot easier to do a hardware inventory).

Should I file a bug report for yaird? At least you can close the bug on
the kernel.

> and yes i agree that lilo is a pain, with grub you are
> able to easier change boot params on boot.

Any quick solution to switch from lilo to grub?

Svante


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

maximilian attems-8
reassign 412799 yaird
severity 412799 serious
tags 412799 -moreinfo -unreproducible
stop


On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Svante Signell wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 19:58 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:52:53PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > > #> dpkg -S /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
> > > yaird: /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
> >
> > oh please use mkinitramfs, install initramfs-tools,
> > the postinst will pick it up automaticaly without troubles
> > as it is the default anyway.
> >
> > interested if that boots?
> #> dpkg -l initramfs-tools
> ii  initramfs-tools 0.85f tools for generating an initramfs
>
> Yes it boots. Now the initrd image is much larger:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4582735 2007-03-19 20:07 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686

cool sure, the initramfs is generic and will work on any other box.
postetch there will be development focus on a good MODULES=dep option.
 
> compared to:
> -rw------- 1 root root 1221818 2007-03-19 19:33 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
>
> According to the description yaird produces more compact images:

yeah but broken in so many senses..
 
> Should I file a bug report for yaird? At least you can close the bug on
> the kernel.

no need to close, just reassigning.
 
> > and yes i agree that lilo is a pain, with grub you are
> > able to easier change boot params on boot.
>
> Any quick solution to switch from lilo to grub?

apt-get install grub
grub-install /dev/hda

if grub-install fails you might want to use grub cli
it's fallback is your best friend.
see quick intro change sda to hda for your case
http://www.itp.tuwien.ac.at/~mattems/blog/2006/01/18#grub_install
 
thanks for debugging this. :)

--
maks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

Svante Signell
In reply to this post by Svante Signell
On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 20:17 +0100, Svante Signell wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 19:58 +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 07:52:53PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> > > #> dpkg -S /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
> > > yaird: /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.yaird
> >
> > oh please use mkinitramfs, install initramfs-tools,
> > the postinst will pick it up automaticaly without troubles
> > as it is the default anyway.
> >
> > interested if that boots?
> #> dpkg -l initramfs-tools
> ii  initramfs-tools 0.85f tools for generating an initramfs
>
> Yes it boots. Now the initrd image is much larger:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4582735 2007-03-19 20:07 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
>
> compared to:
> -rw------- 1 root root 1221818 2007-03-19 19:33 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-686
>
> According to the description yaird produces more compact images:
> ...
> Should I file a bug report for yaird? At least you can close the bug on
> the kernel.
or maybe not. Maybe the bug is still in the kernel. Alternately the
problem can be in yaird or maybe even in LILO? Attached is a diff
between the config files for kernels 2.6.18-3-686 and 2.6.18-4-686.
Kernel 2.4.18-3-686 and previous kernels all boot properly with yaird.

--
Svante Signell <[hidden email]>

config-2.6.18-3to4-686.diff (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#412799: linux-image-2.6.18-4-686 does not boot

maximilian attems-8
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Svante Signell wrote:

> or maybe not. Maybe the bug is still in the kernel. Alternately the
> problem can be in yaird or maybe even in LILO? Attached is a diff
> between the config files for kernels 2.6.18-3-686 and 2.6.18-4-686.
> Kernel 2.4.18-3-686 and previous kernels all boot properly with yaird.
>
> --
> Svante Signell <[hidden email]>

as yaird generates a non booting initramfs
the coupable is easily spotted.

over and out

--
maks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]