Bug#522533: devilspie: below function doesn't work as before

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#522533: devilspie: below function doesn't work as before

Lu?s Picciochi Oliveira
Package: devilspie
Version: 0.22-1
Severity: normal

  I have devilspie configured to have a console on the background of my
computer, constantly displaying the system log (I call it a
DesktopConsole). I use the attached .ds configuration file to do this.

  After yesterday's upgrade on my machine, devilspie stopped working as
before: the terminal stays below every window as it should, but as soon
as I start another terminal, the DesktopConsole appears in front of it
(and in front of all other windows). If I click other windows, they will
get over the DesktopConsole, but when I click some gnome-terminal again,
the DesktopConsole appears on top of all windows again.
  The logs of the upgrades after which this started happening are
attached.

Regards,
Luís Picciochi

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-1-686 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages devilspie depends on:
ii  libc6                         2.9-4      GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libglib2.0-0                  2.20.0-2   The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgtk2.0-0                   2.14.7-5   The GTK+ graphical user interface
ii  libwnck22                     2.24.2-2   Window Navigator Construction Kit
ii  libx11-6                      2:1.2-1    X11 client-side library

devilspie recommends no packages.

devilspie suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information

Installed Packages-1.txt (5K) Download Attachment
DesktopConsole not under.png (368K) Download Attachment
Installed Packages-2.txt (1K) Download Attachment
DesktopConsole.ds (216 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#522533: devilspie: below function doesn't work as before

Ross Burton
On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 17:13 +0100, Luís Picciochi Oliveira wrote:
>   After yesterday's upgrade on my machine, devilspie stopped working as
> before: the terminal stays below every window as it should, but as soon
> as I start another terminal, the DesktopConsole appears in front of it
> (and in front of all other windows). If I click other windows, they will
> get over the DesktopConsole, but when I click some gnome-terminal again,
> the DesktopConsole appears on top of all windows again.

Try reverting gnome-terminal back to 2.22.  It sounds like
gnome-terminal is doing some window raising which works around the nasty
hacks Devils Pie tries to do.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: [hidden email]
                                          jabber: [hidden email]
                                           www: http://burtonini.com

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#522533: devilspie: below function doesn't work as before

Lu?s Picciochi Oliveira
Yep. Reverting gnome-terminal to 2.22 solved it.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Ross Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Try reverting gnome-terminal back to 2.22.  It sounds like
> gnome-terminal is doing some window raising which works around the nasty
> hacks Devils Pie tries to do.
>
> Ross
> --
> Ross Burton                                 mail: [hidden email]
>                                          jabber: [hidden email]
>                                           www: http://burtonini.com
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#522533: devilspie: below function doesn't work as before

Lu?s Picciochi Oliveira
This is still present with gnome-terminal 2.26.2.
The same behaviour does also occur with other applications, eg.: gedit 2.26 and iceweasel 3.0.9.

Using the version 2.22 is still the only way I found to make the below command work as expected with gnome-terminal.

Regards,
Pitxyoki

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Luís Picciochi Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yep. Reverting gnome-terminal to 2.22 solved it.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Ross Burton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Try reverting gnome-terminal back to 2.22.  It sounds like
> gnome-terminal is doing some window raising which works around the nasty
> hacks Devils Pie tries to do.
>
> Ross
> --
> Ross Burton                                 mail: [hidden email]
>                                          jabber: [hidden email]
>                                           www: http://burtonini.com
>