Bug#531478: /etc/{kbd|console-tools}/remap not supported

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#531478: /etc/{kbd|console-tools}/remap not supported

Adeodato Simó-4
Package: kbd,console-setup

Hello,

I think /etc/console-tools/remap was a very nice feature; I've recently
purged console-* from my system except console-setup, and installed kbd
instead because console-logs needs that.

I saw, then, that kbd ships /etc/kbd/remap, and the init scripts
supports it. However, that code path is not executed when console-setup
is installed, which I guess will be mostly always in desktop machines,
since X depends on console-setup.

I miss this functionality, and I don't think we should ditch it because
it's very handy (just doing a couple adjustments in a keymap, eg. for
keybindings). I also found no documentation in console-setup about how
to achive something similar within that package. Additionally, I'll note
that the feature works just nice, and it could work if kbd's init script
came after console-setup's in the boot sequence.

Anyway. Could we get console-setup to support an /etc/console-setup/remap
file, or get kbd's one to work?

Thanks,

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.
        -- Rory and Lorelai




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#531478: /etc/{kbd|console-tools}/remap not supported

Anton Zinoviev
On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:19:45PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
>
> I miss this functionality, and I don't think we should ditch it because
> it's very handy (just doing a couple adjustments in a keymap, eg. for
> keybindings). I also found no documentation in console-setup about how
> to achive something similar within that package.

Can you specify what kind of remapping you are using?  Maybe it is
supported by xkb?

> Anyway. Could we get console-setup to support an /etc/console-setup/remap
> file, or get kbd's one to work?

XKB supports many options so in most case it should be possible to
configure properly the keyboard without remapping.  In cases when this
is not so I think it is better fill a wishlist bug report against
xkb-data than to use remapping as a quick hack.  I can make the keyboard
file for XKB if needed.

But to answer your question - yes, this is possible but I am reluctand
to do so.  I've noticed that in many occasions dumpkeys doesn't work
properly and I don't want to introduce in console-setup bugs that I will
be unable to fix.

Anton Zinoviev




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#531478: /etc/{kbd|console-tools}/remap not supported

Adeodato Simó-4
+ Anton Zinoviev (Tue, 02 Jun 2009 23:59:55 +0300):

> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:19:45PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:

> > I miss this functionality, and I don't think we should ditch it because
> > it's very handy (just doing a couple adjustments in a keymap, eg. for
> > keybindings). I also found no documentation in console-setup about how
> > to achive something similar within that package.

> Can you specify what kind of remapping you are using?  Maybe it is
> supported by xkb?

Well, I purposedly mentioned the word "keybindings" above since that's
more akin to the use of remapping I'm making use. In particular, I'm
using:

  % cat /etc/kbd/remap
  # This sed script is run across the dumpkeys output to remap keys on the console
  $a\
  alt keycode 36 = Incr_Console \
  alt keycode 37 = Decr_Console

So I doubt that's going to be supported out of the box, and rightfully so.

> > Anyway. Could we get console-setup to support an /etc/console-setup/remap
> > file, or get kbd's one to work?

> XKB supports many options so in most case it should be possible to
> configure properly the keyboard without remapping.  In cases when this
> is not so I think it is better fill a wishlist bug report against
> xkb-data than to use remapping as a quick hack.  I can make the keyboard
> file for XKB if needed.

Well, as seen above, I'm wanting a rather console-specific mapping, and
other people could want for completely different keys, so I can't see
how that could fit for xkb-data.

> But to answer your question - yes, this is possible but I am reluctand
> to do so.  I've noticed that in many occasions dumpkeys doesn't work
> properly and I don't want to introduce in console-setup bugs that I will
> be unable to fix.

I see. Well, what procedure would you recommend for my use case above? :-)

Thanks,

--
- Are you sure we're good?
- Always.
        -- Rory and Lorelai




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#531478: /etc/{kbd|console-tools}/remap not supported

Anton Zinoviev
On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 02:53:16PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
>
>   % cat /etc/kbd/remap
>   # This sed script is run across the dumpkeys output to remap keys on the console
>   $a\
>   alt keycode 36 = Incr_Console \
>   alt keycode 37 = Decr_Console
>
> I see. Well, what procedure would you recommend for my use case above? :-)

Well this doesn't require dumpkeys, but only appending the current
keymap.  This can be supported in a future console-setup. :-)

Anton Zinoviev




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]