Bug#549165: grub-legacy: Same problem here with 0.97-59

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#549165: grub-legacy: Same problem here with 0.97-59

Armin Berres-6
Package: grub-legacy
Version: 0.97-59

I have the same problem with 0.97-59. Even if I delete the menu.lst
update-grub fails and does not create a new one.
I do not have the time right now to look into the update-grub script,
but if you want any further information just tell me.

Greetings,
Armin

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (900, 'unstable'), (800, 'testing'), (101, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.30-1-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages grub-legacy depends on:
ii  grub-common                 1.97~beta4-1 GRand Unified Bootloader, version

grub-legacy recommends no packages.

Versions of packages grub-legacy suggests:
pn  grub-legacy-doc               <none>     (no description available)
pn  mdadm                         <none>     (no description available)
pn  multiboot-doc                 <none>     (no description available)

-- no debconf information



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#549165: grub-legacy: Same problem here with 0.97-59

Felix Zielcke-3
Am Sonntag, den 11.10.2009, 16:43 +0200 schrieb Armin Berres:

> I have the same problem with 0.97-59. Even if I delete the menu.lst
> update-grub fails and does not create a new one.
> I do not have the time right now to look into the update-grub script,
> but if you want any further information just tell me.
>
> Greetings,
> Armin

Thanks for the mail. Somehow I missed that report.

Can you please both run `sh -x update-grub'?
Probable some grub-probe call fails.
If it's grub-probe please run it without the 2>/dev/null part which
supresses the error messages.
And also check that your device.map has all needed devices listed.


--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#549165: grub-legacy: Same problem here with 0.97-59

armin (Bugzilla)-3
On Sun, 11 Oct 09 16:57, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Probable some grub-probe call fails.
> If it's grub-probe please run it without the 2>/dev/null part which
> supresses the error messages.
> And also check that your device.map has all needed devices listed.

Good guess. Here we go:

# grub-probe --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map -t device /
grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /.

# cat /boot/grub/device.map
(hd0)   /dev/sda

Looks sane, doesn't it? I have /boot on a little ext3 partition and the
rest is on LVM.

# mount
/dev/dm-0 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda3 on /boot type ext3 (rw,noatime)
/dev/mapper/lvm-home on /home type ext4 (rw)
/dev/mapper/lvm-mail on /home/armin/mail type ext4 (rw,noatime)
/dev/sda1 on /windows type vfat (rw,utf8,gid=1000,uid=1000)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,busgid=121,busmode=0775,devgid=121,devmode=0664)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

Greetings,
Armin



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#549165: grub-legacy: Same problem here with 0.97-59

Felix Zielcke-3
Am Sonntag, den 11.10.2009, 17:08 +0200 schrieb Armin Berres:

> On Sun, 11 Oct 09 16:57, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> > Probable some grub-probe call fails.
> > If it's grub-probe please run it without the 2>/dev/null part which
> > supresses the error messages.
> > And also check that your device.map has all needed devices listed.
>
> Good guess. Here we go:
>
> # grub-probe --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map -t device /
> grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /.
>
> # cat /boot/grub/device.map
> (hd0)   /dev/sda

Thanks, now I only need to know which line in update-grub causes this.
There is already one grub-probe call handled differently then just
sending errors to /dev/null but seems like this is also needed for
another one.
The reason is that grub-probe also prints out errors which are only
relevant for grub2 and this confused people.

As I said one line above the part you quoted from me:
`sh -x update-grub'
> Looks sane, doesn't it? I have /boot on a little ext3 partition and the
> rest is on LVM.
>
> # mount
> /dev/dm-0 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)

*sigh*
I'm now too lazy to search the bug reports we got for grub2 because of
this, but the problem is a change in dmsetup which was reverted in the
next upload. And so only affects sid users.
Solution is to run `update-initramfs -c -t -k all' and if you don't want
to reboot then also run `echo change > /sys/block/dm-0/uevent'


--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#549165: grub-legacy: Same problem here with 0.97-59

armin (Bugzilla)-3
On Sun, 11 Oct 09 17:17, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Thanks, now I only need to know which line in update-grub causes this.

> As I said one line above the part you quoted from me:
> `sh -x update-grub'

# sh -x /usr/bin/update-grub
sh: Can't open /usr/bin/update-grub
bluefire:/home/armin# sh -x /usr/sbin/update-grub
+ set -e
+ uname -s
+ tr [A-Z] [a-z]
+ host_os=linux
+ find_grub_dir
+ echo -n Searching for GRUB installation directory ...
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... + [ -d /boot/grub ]
+ grub_dir=/boot/grub
+ break
+ [ -z /boot/grub ]
+ echo found: /boot/grub
found: /boot/grub
+ echo /boot/grub
+ grub_dir=/boot/grub
+ device_map=/boot/grub/device.map
+ menu_file_basename=menu.lst
+ menu_file=/boot/grub/menu.lst
+ default_file_basename=default
+ default_file=/boot/grub/default
+ find_device /
+ test -e /boot/grub/device.map
+ grub-probe --device-map=/boot/grub/device.map -t device /
+ root_device=

> *sigh*
> I'm now too lazy to search the bug reports we got for grub2 because of
> this, but the problem is a change in dmsetup which was reverted in the
> next upload. And so only affects sid users.
> Solution is to run `update-initramfs -c -t -k all' and if you don't want
> to reboot then also run `echo change > /sys/block/dm-0/uevent'

Wee, awesome. This fixed it. Thanks for your help.
FWIW I will switch to grub2 as soon as my thesis is finished :)

Greetings,
Armin





>
>
> --
> Felix Zielcke
> Proud Debian Maintainer and GNU GRUB developer
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]