Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

Andreas Tille
Package: mc
Version: 3:4.7.0-1
Severity: normal

Hi,

when using the internal editor mcedit I realised that the cursor can be
moved further than end of line which gives the impression of an infinite
number of spaces behind the last character which is definitely an
unexpected behaviour for an editor.  Especially it is not possible to
tell whether there are real spaces or not and the user starts "removing"
spaces at end of line if he asumes there are some.

Kind regards and thanks for maintaining mc

       Andreas.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (501, 'testing'), (50, 'unstable'), (5, 'experimental')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.30-2-686 (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages mc depends on:
ii  libc6                         2.9-25     GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  libglib2.0-0                  2.22.0-1   The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgpm2                       1.20.4-3.2 General Purpose Mouse - shared lib
ii  libslang2                     2.2.1-1    The S-Lang programming library - r

Versions of packages mc recommends:
ii  mime-support                  3.46-1     MIME files 'mime.types' & 'mailcap

Versions of packages mc suggests:
ii  acroread [pdf-viewer]    9.1.3-0.2       Adobe Acrobat Reader: Portable Doc
pn  arj                      <none>          (no description available)
ii  bzip2                    1.0.5-3         high-quality block-sorting file co
pn  catdvi                   <none>          (no description available)
ii  dbview                   1.0.4-1         View dBase III files
pn  djvulibre-bin            <none>          (no description available)
ii  evince [pdf-viewer]      2.26.2-2        Document (postscript, pdf) viewer
ii  file                     5.03-1          Determines file type using "magic"
ii  gv [pdf-viewer]          1:3.6.7-1       PostScript and PDF viewer for X
ii  imagemagick              7:6.5.5.3-1     image manipulation programs
ii  kghostview [pdf-viewer]  4:3.5.9-3       PostScript viewer for KDE
ii  links                    2.2-1+b1        Web browser running in text mode
ii  lynx                     2.8.8dev.1-1    Text-mode WWW Browser (transitiona
pn  odt2txt                  <none>          (no description available)
ii  perl                     5.10.0-25       Larry Wall's Practical Extraction
ii  python                   2.5.4-2         An interactive high-level object-o
pn  python-boto              <none>          (no description available)
ii  python-tz                2009l-1         Python version of the Olson timezo
ii  unzip                    6.0-1           De-archiver for .zip files
ii  w3m                      0.5.2-2.1       WWW browsable pager with excellent
ii  xpdf-utils [pdf-viewer]  3.02-1.4+lenny1 Portable Document Format (PDF) sui
ii  zip                      3.0-1           Archiver for .zip files

-- no debconf information



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#564177: [Pkg-mc-devel] Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

Yury V. Zaytsev
Hi!

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 08:33 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> when using the internal editor mcedit I realised that the cursor can be
> moved further than end of line which gives the impression of an infinite
> number of spaces behind the last character which is definitely an
> unexpected behaviour for an editor.

That's not a bug. Disable the "Cursor beyond EOL" editor option if you
don't like this behavior.

> Especially it is not possible to tell whether there are real spaces or
> not and the user starts "removing" spaces at end of line if he asumes
> there are some.

You can turn on "Visible spaces and tabs" so that you can actually see
then.
 
--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#564177: [Pkg-mc-devel] Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

Andreas Tille
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

>> when using the internal editor mcedit I realised that the cursor can be
>> moved further than end of line which gives the impression of an infinite
>> number of spaces behind the last character which is definitely an
>> unexpected behaviour for an editor.
>
> That's not a bug. Disable the "Cursor beyond EOL" editor option if you
> don't like this behavior.

Uhm, behaving different than any other editor I know is IMHO at least a
badly choosen default behaviour (= wishlist bug).  I would strongly vote
to keep the original behaviour and leave this new (??) behaviour as a
configuration option.  In addition it is not really obvious to find this
option.

>> Especially it is not possible to tell whether there are real spaces or
>> not and the user starts "removing" spaces at end of line if he asumes
>> there are some.
>
> You can turn on "Visible spaces and tabs" so that you can actually see
> then.

I know this option but I do not really like it because it reduces the
ability to cut-n-past sections of the text.

Kind regards

         Andreas.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#564177: [Pkg-mc-devel] Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

Yury V. Zaytsev
On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 09:55 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Uhm, behaving different than any other editor I know is IMHO at least a
> badly choosen default behaviour (= wishlist bug).  I would strongly vote
> to keep the original behaviour and leave this new (??) behaviour as a
> configuration option.  In addition it is not really obvious to find this
> option.

You'd better file a bug against upstream for changing the default
behavior that's been there for ages, this sounds like a convincing
reason to make the old behavior a default.

If all negotiations fail and more Debian users want this back all we can
do is to add a custom patch to the package just as we did for turning
off mcedit by default...
 
--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#564177: [Pkg-mc-devel] Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

Andreas Tille
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 09:55 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
>> Uhm, behaving different than any other editor I know is IMHO at least a
>> badly choosen default behaviour (= wishlist bug).  I would strongly vote
>> to keep the original behaviour and leave this new (??) behaviour as a
>> configuration option.  In addition it is not really obvious to find this
>> option.
>
> You'd better file a bug against upstream for changing the default
> behavior that's been there for ages, this sounds like a convincing
> reason to make the old behavior a default.

Do I need to register for opening a ticket?  If yes would you volunteer
to proxy my report upstream?  I do not want to steal your time but I'm
bored by having accounts on several places loosing passwords etc...

> If all negotiations fail and more Debian users want this back all we can
> do is to add a custom patch to the package just as we did for turning
> off mcedit by default...

Well, I have no real problem with your decision because it makes sense
to use system default editor and I need to fire up configuration anyway
to enable "Lynx like motion" which is my personal preference (which is
IMHO different from upstream default) but if I would be MC maintainer I
would probably leave mcedit as default.  But there is no real need to
discuss this - just wanted you to have some user response.

Kind regards

        Andreas.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#564177: [Pkg-mc-devel] Bug#564177: Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

Patrick Winnertz-6
Hey Andreas,

Haven't seen you for a long time!

> Well, I have no real problem with your decision because it makes sense
> to use system default editor and I need to fire up configuration anyway
> to enable "Lynx like motion" which is my personal preference (which is
> IMHO different from upstream default) but if I would be MC maintainer I
> would probably leave mcedit as default.  But there is no real need to
> discuss this - just wanted you to have some user response.
We're not allowed to use mcedit as default editor, mc has, as every
application in debian, to use the alternative system per default. (per
policy... but please don't ask which point there :))

I disklike that too, but imho we have no real choice. :S

Greetings
Winnie



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#564177: [Pkg-mc-devel] Bug#564177: Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

Andreas Tille
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Patrick Winnertz wrote:

> We're not allowed to use mcedit as default editor, mc has, as every
> application in debian, to use the alternative system per default. (per
> policy... but please don't ask which point there :))

As I said that's not a big deal for me.

> I disklike that too, but imho we have no real choice. :S

OK.

Kind regards

        Andreas.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#564177: [Pkg-mc-devel] Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

Yury V. Zaytsev
In reply to this post by Andreas Tille
On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 13:47 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > You'd better file a bug against upstream for changing the default
> > behavior that's been there for ages, this sounds like a convincing
> > reason to make the old behavior a default.
>
> Do I need to register for opening a ticket?  If yes would you volunteer
> to proxy my report upstream?  I do not want to steal your time but I'm
> bored by having accounts on several places loosing passwords etc...

Yes, you do. Sorry, I would really prefer you doing this as I'm almost
completely booked for a few weeks in advance => don't have time to
follow up on this :-(
 
--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#564177: [Pkg-mc-devel] Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

Andreas Tille
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

>> Do I need to register for opening a ticket?  If yes would you volunteer
>> to proxy my report upstream?  I do not want to steal your time but I'm
>> bored by having accounts on several places loosing passwords etc...
>
> Yes, you do. Sorry, I would really prefer you doing this as I'm almost
> completely booked for a few weeks in advance => don't have time to
> follow up on this :-(

Hmmm, after registration and uploading a link to the upgraded de.po file
I tried to create a new ticket but got:


    Error: Forbidden

    TICKET_CREATE privileges are required to perform this operation


These guys do not make it really simple to give some response. :-(

Any clue?

Thanks for your patience

        Andreas.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#564177: [Pkg-mc-devel] Bug#564177: mcedit: cursor behaves crazy after end of line

Andreas Tille
In reply to this post by Yury V. Zaytsev
On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Yury V. Zaytsev wrote:

> Yes, you do. Sorry, I would really prefer you doing this as I'm almost
> completely booked for a few weeks in advance => don't have time to
> follow up on this :-(

I reported the problem upstream:

     http://www.midnight-commander.org/ticket/1946

Kind regards

     Andreas.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]