Bug#578316: libc6: tanh(50000+50000i) gives invalid result

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#578316: libc6: tanh(50000+50000i) gives invalid result

Thomas Weber-8
Package: libc6
Version: 2.10.2-6
Severity: normal

Hi,

the value of tanh(50000 + 50000I) should be (close to) (1,0). However,
with the attached file trig.cc, I get

libc version 2.10.2
arg       (50000,50000)
sinh(arg) (-inf,-inf)
cosh(arg) (-inf,-inf)
s/c       (nan,nan)
tanh(arg) (nan,0)

This came up on the GNU Octave list, see
http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2010-April/019226.html

I also tried 2.11 from experimental, same problem.

Thanks
        Thomas



-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages libc6 depends on:
ii  libc-bin                      2.10.2-6   Embedded GNU C Library: Binaries
ii  libgcc1                       1:4.4.3-7  GCC support library

libc6 recommends no packages.

Versions of packages libc6 suggests:
ii  debconf [debconf-2.0]         1.5.32     Debian configuration management sy
pn  glibc-doc                     <none>     (no description available)
ii  locales                       2.10.2-6   Embedded GNU C Library: National L

-- debconf information excluded

trig.cc (536 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#578316: marked as done (libc6: tanh(50000+50000i) gives invalid result)

Debian Bug Tracking System
Your message dated Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:02:38 +0100
with message-id <[hidden email]>
and subject line Re: Bug#578316: libc6: tanh(50000+50000i) gives invalid result
has caused the Debian Bug report #578316,
regarding libc6: tanh(50000+50000i) gives invalid result
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact [hidden email]
immediately.)


--
578316: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=578316
Debian Bug Tracking System
Contact [hidden email] with problems

Package: libc6
Version: 2.10.2-6
Severity: normal

Hi,

the value of tanh(50000 + 50000I) should be (close to) (1,0). However,
with the attached file trig.cc, I get

libc version 2.10.2
arg       (50000,50000)
sinh(arg) (-inf,-inf)
cosh(arg) (-inf,-inf)
s/c       (nan,nan)
tanh(arg) (nan,0)

This came up on the GNU Octave list, see
http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2010-April/019226.html

I also tried 2.11 from experimental, same problem.

Thanks
        Thomas



-- System Information:
Debian Release: squeeze/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages libc6 depends on:
ii  libc-bin                      2.10.2-6   Embedded GNU C Library: Binaries
ii  libgcc1                       1:4.4.3-7  GCC support library

libc6 recommends no packages.

Versions of packages libc6 suggests:
ii  debconf [debconf-2.0]         1.5.32     Debian configuration management sy
pn  glibc-doc                     <none>     (no description available)
ii  locales                       2.10.2-6   Embedded GNU C Library: National L

-- debconf information excluded

Version: 2.16-0experimental0

On 2010-04-18 22:44, Thomas Weber wrote:

> Package: libc6
> Version: 2.10.2-6
> Severity: normal
>
> Hi,
>
> the value of tanh(50000 + 50000I) should be (close to) (1,0). However,
> with the attached file trig.cc, I get
>
> libc version 2.10.2
> arg       (50000,50000)
> sinh(arg) (-inf,-inf)
> cosh(arg) (-inf,-inf)
> s/c       (nan,nan)
> tanh(arg) (nan,0)
>
> This came up on the GNU Octave list, see
> http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2010-April/019226.html
>
> I also tried 2.11 from experimental, same problem.
This bug has been fixed upstream in glibc 2.16. I am therefore closing
the bug.

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 4096R/1DDD8C9B
[hidden email]                 http://www.aurel32.net

trig.cc (536 bytes) Download Attachment