Bug#685134: [s390-tools] please add patch from qemu

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#685134: [s390-tools] please add patch from qemu

Dimitri John Ledkov-2
On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:21:04 +0200 bastien ROUCARIES
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Package: s390-tools
> Severity: important
> Tags: patch
>
> Please add http://repo.or.cz/w/s390-tools.git for booting s390 from qemu. it port virtio.
>
> I have ported the pach queue to recent s390-tools. Not tested only merge without conflict.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bastien

Hello,

Is this still required? I see that qemu-2.5 has support for booting El
Torito .iso images, and it boots Debian off virtio block drives just
fine.

Granted, it looks like debian packaging strips the s390 firmware file,
and doesn't rebuild it. Maybe that should simply be fixed and that's
it?

Regards,

Dimitri.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#685134: [s390-tools] please add patch from qemu

Viktor VM Mihajlovski
On 02.02.2016 01:01, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:21:04 +0200 bastien ROUCARIES
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Package: s390-tools
>> Severity: important
>> Tags: patch
>>
>> Please add http://repo.or.cz/w/s390-tools.git for booting s390 from qemu. it port virtio.
>>
>> I have ported the pach queue to recent s390-tools. Not tested only merge without conflict.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Bastien
>
> Hello,
>
> Is this still required? I see that qemu-2.5 has support for booting El
> Torito .iso images, and it boots Debian off virtio block drives just
> fine.
>
> Granted, it looks like debian packaging strips the s390 firmware file,
> and doesn't rebuild it. Maybe that should simply be fixed and that's
> it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dimitri.
>

Right, including the firmware file would be the proper way to enable
QEMU for booting on s390.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind Regards
   Viktor Mihajlovski

IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Köderitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#685134: Bug#684909: Bug#685134: [s390-tools] please add patch from qemu

Christian Ehrhardt


On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Philipp Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/03/2016 09:27 AM, Viktor Mihajlovski wrote:
> On 02.02.2016 01:01, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 11:21:04 +0200 bastien ROUCARIES
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Please add http://repo.or.cz/w/s390-tools.git for booting s390 from qemu. it port virtio.
>>> I have ported the pach queue to recent s390-tools. Not tested only merge without conflict.
>> Is this still required? I see that qemu-2.5 has support for booting El
>> Torito .iso images, and it boots Debian off virtio block drives just
>> fine.
>>
>> Granted, it looks like debian packaging strips the s390 firmware file,
>> and doesn't rebuild it. Maybe that should simply be fixed and that's
>> it?
> Right, including the firmware file would be the proper way to enable
> QEMU for booting on s390.

If I understand it correctly, this is now obsoleted by the fact that
qemu dropped s390-virtio and runs with their own s390-ccw rom now that's
built from the qemu source. Is that correct? Can we close the s390-tools
bug at least? And I suppose arrange for s390-ccw.rom to be shipped from
the qemu package?

 
On Ubuntu there already is: /usr/share/qemu/s390-ccw.img
which works for me as part package qemu-system-s390x.

That is part of the suggested contribution in bug 874347 already.
See #2 in that bug and the suggestion to accept it without an ubuntu: label in d/control-in.


--
Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server
Canonical Ltd
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#685134: Bug#684909: Bug#685134: [s390-tools] please add patch from qemu

Philipp Kern-6
On 10/19/2017 03:06 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Debian has much stricter policy wrt blobs (DFSG),
> and debian builds for more architectures (the firmware,
> if it is part of qemu-system-s390 package, needs to be
> built on all architectures where this binary package
> builts, or it needs to be a separate arch-all package).

Note that the arch:all autobuilders are amd64. gcc-*-s390x-linux-gnu
exists in Debian, although only on i386 and amd64. I don't think there's
a policy today that precludes you from forcing users to build arch:all
on amd64 for technical reasons.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern


signature.asc (523 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#685134: Bug#684909: Bug#685134: [s390-tools] please add patch from qemu

Dimitri John Ledkov-2
On 19 October 2017 at 15:31, Philipp Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/19/2017 03:06 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
>> Debian has much stricter policy wrt blobs (DFSG),
>> and debian builds for more architectures (the firmware,
>> if it is part of qemu-system-s390 package, needs to be
>> built on all architectures where this binary package
>> builts, or it needs to be a separate arch-all package).
>
> Note that the arch:all autobuilders are amd64. gcc-*-s390x-linux-gnu
> exists in Debian, although only on i386 and amd64. I don't think there's
> a policy today that precludes you from forcing users to build arch:all
> on amd64 for technical reasons.
>
> Kind regards
> Philipp Kern
>

The s390x firmware in question, is built from source, on Ubuntu, on
every src:qemu upload on the s390x architecture and shipped in an
arch:s390x package.

qemu-system-s390x requires to run on the s390x hardware, as it is
effectively passthrough kvm only, and is not userspace emulated.
(Does not work on non-s390x machines).

Therefore src:qemu should build s390x specific firmware and ship in
arch:s390x package as if it is an s390x-specific binary.

Stuff about arch:all autobilders etc do not in practice cause any
constraints here since this particular firmware is useless in a non
_s390x.deb.

There are no plans to make qemu-system-s390x able to perform userspace
emulation on non-s390x architectures.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#685134: Bug#684909: Bug#685134: [s390-tools] please add patch from qemu

Aurelien Jarno-2
On 2017-10-19 18:15, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:

> On 19 October 2017 at 15:31, Philipp Kern <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 10/19/2017 03:06 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> >> Debian has much stricter policy wrt blobs (DFSG),
> >> and debian builds for more architectures (the firmware,
> >> if it is part of qemu-system-s390 package, needs to be
> >> built on all architectures where this binary package
> >> builts, or it needs to be a separate arch-all package).
> >
> > Note that the arch:all autobuilders are amd64. gcc-*-s390x-linux-gnu
> > exists in Debian, although only on i386 and amd64. I don't think there's
> > a policy today that precludes you from forcing users to build arch:all
> > on amd64 for technical reasons.
> >
> > Kind regards
> > Philipp Kern
> >
>
> The s390x firmware in question, is built from source, on Ubuntu, on
> every src:qemu upload on the s390x architecture and shipped in an
> arch:s390x package.
>
> qemu-system-s390x requires to run on the s390x hardware, as it is
> effectively passthrough kvm only, and is not userspace emulated.
> (Does not work on non-s390x machines).

Maybe because Ubuntu decided to build it only on s390x. Debian ships it
built for other architectures and it works perfectly. You can emulate an
s390x with qemu-system-s390x on amd64, arm or mips. This firmware works
too.

Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 4096R/1DDD8C9B
[hidden email]                 http://www.aurel32.net

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#685134: Bug#684909: Bug#685134: [s390-tools] please add patch from qemu

Aurelien Jarno-2
In reply to this post by Philipp Kern-6
On 2017-10-19 16:31, Philipp Kern wrote:

> On 10/19/2017 03:06 PM, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> > Debian has much stricter policy wrt blobs (DFSG),
> > and debian builds for more architectures (the firmware,
> > if it is part of qemu-system-s390 package, needs to be
> > built on all architectures where this binary package
> > builts, or it needs to be a separate arch-all package).
>
> Note that the arch:all autobuilders are amd64. gcc-*-s390x-linux-gnu
> exists in Debian, although only on i386 and amd64. I don't think there's
> a policy today that precludes you from forcing users to build arch:all
> on amd64 for technical reasons.
Indeed that's one option to build it, that's for example the solution
chosen to build slof using gcc-powerpc64-linux-gnu. So far nobody
complained it's buildable only on amd64, i386, ppc64el and x32.

The other alternative is to build a cross-compiler using binutils-source
and gcc-source (that requires that the none or elf os is supported for
this architecture). This has the advantage of ignoring all the flags
that debhelper tries to push that make a firmware to not build or break.
That's the solution chosen for example for openbios.

Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno                          GPG: 4096R/1DDD8C9B
[hidden email]                 http://www.aurel32.net

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#685134: Bug#684909: Bug#685134: [s390-tools] please add patch from qemu

Christian Ehrhardt
> Would the attached patch be acceptable for debian?
>
[...]
> Regards,
>
> Dimitri.

Hi,
I'm pinging here as qemu 2.11 is likely soon to be released, so qemu
work is ahead anyway.
Therefore I wanted to ask if this found some sort of consensus (as
there was no more reply to Dimitris last patch) and is just not yet
worked on - or - if there is still too much disagreement?