Bug#803547: bbswitch: please make the build reproducible

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#803547: bbswitch: please make the build reproducible

Reiner Herrmann
Source: bbswitch
Version: 0.8-2
Severity: wishlist
Tags: patch
User: [hidden email]
Usertags: umask
X-Debbugs-Cc: [hidden email]

Hi!

While working on the "reproducible builds" effort [1], we have noticed
that bbswitch could not be built reproducibly.
The permissions inside a tarball vary because of different umasks.

The attached patch tells tar to normalize the permissions.

Regards,
 Reiner

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds


bbswitch.patch (600 bytes) Download Attachment
signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#803547: bbswitch: please make the build reproducible

Luca Boccassi
On Sat, 2015-10-31 at 10:56 +0100, Reiner Herrmann wrote:
> Hi!
>
> While working on the "reproducible builds" effort [1], we have noticed
> that bbswitch could not be built reproducibly.
> The permissions inside a tarball vary because of different umasks.
>
> The attached patch tells tar to normalize the permissions.

Hello Reiner,

Thanks for the patch!

Andreas,

I have tested and verified that bbswitch-source via module-assistant
(and -dkms too to be safe) work fine on my optimus laptop, and pushed to
git.

Could you please do a new upload once you are happy with the diff and
have time? Thanks!

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#803547: bbswitch: please make the build reproducible

Luca Boccassi
In reply to this post by Reiner Herrmann
Control: -1 tags pending

On Sat, 2015-10-31 at 10:56 +0100, Reiner Herrmann wrote:

> Source: bbswitch
> Version: 0.8-2
> Severity: wishlist
> Tags: patch
> User: [hidden email]
> Usertags: umask
> X-Debbugs-Cc: [hidden email]
>
> Hi!
>
> While working on the "reproducible builds" effort [1], we have noticed
> that bbswitch could not be built reproducibly.
> The permissions inside a tarball vary because of different umasks.
>
> The attached patch tells tar to normalize the permissions.
>
> Regards,
>  Reiner
>
> [1]: https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds
Hello Reiner,

Thanks for the patch, Vincent has applied it to Git so it will be in the
next upload.

I had noticed that the CI was reporting this problem for i386/armhf, but
hadn't got around to look into it yet.

Andreas, Vincent,

There is movement again upstream but I don't think there will be a new
release soon, and I don't think we have anything pending ourselves, so
IMHO we can upload this already.

I'm happy to take care of it, if one of you whitelists my key for the
package. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#803547: bbswitch: please make the build reproducible

Vincent Cheng-2
Hi Luca,

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Luca Boccassi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Control: -1 tags pending
>
> On Sat, 2015-10-31 at 10:56 +0100, Reiner Herrmann wrote:
>> Source: bbswitch
>> Version: 0.8-2
>> Severity: wishlist
>> Tags: patch
>> User: [hidden email]
>> Usertags: umask
>> X-Debbugs-Cc: [hidden email]
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> While working on the "reproducible builds" effort [1], we have noticed
>> that bbswitch could not be built reproducibly.
>> The permissions inside a tarball vary because of different umasks.
>>
>> The attached patch tells tar to normalize the permissions.
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Reiner
>>
>> [1]: https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds
>
> Hello Reiner,
>
> Thanks for the patch, Vincent has applied it to Git so it will be in the
> next upload.
>
> I had noticed that the CI was reporting this problem for i386/armhf, but
> hadn't got around to look into it yet.
>
> Andreas, Vincent,
>
> There is movement again upstream but I don't think there will be a new
> release soon, and I don't think we have anything pending ourselves, so
> IMHO we can upload this already.

Ok, I've gone ahead and uploaded bbswitch a few minutes ago.

> I'm happy to take care of it, if one of you whitelists my key for the
> package. Thanks!

Of course. :)

Regards,
Vincent

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#803547: bbswitch: please make the build reproducible

Luca Boccassi
On Sun, 2016-05-29 at 22:47 -0700, Vincent Cheng wrote:

> Hi Luca,
>
> On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Luca Boccassi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Control: -1 tags pending
> >
> > On Sat, 2015-10-31 at 10:56 +0100, Reiner Herrmann wrote:
> >> Source: bbswitch
> >> Version: 0.8-2
> >> Severity: wishlist
> >> Tags: patch
> >> User: [hidden email]
> >> Usertags: umask
> >> X-Debbugs-Cc: [hidden email]
> >>
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> While working on the "reproducible builds" effort [1], we have noticed
> >> that bbswitch could not be built reproducibly.
> >> The permissions inside a tarball vary because of different umasks.
> >>
> >> The attached patch tells tar to normalize the permissions.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>  Reiner
> >>
> >> [1]: https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds
> >
> > Hello Reiner,
> >
> > Thanks for the patch, Vincent has applied it to Git so it will be in the
> > next upload.
> >
> > I had noticed that the CI was reporting this problem for i386/armhf, but
> > hadn't got around to look into it yet.
> >
> > Andreas, Vincent,
> >
> > There is movement again upstream but I don't think there will be a new
> > release soon, and I don't think we have anything pending ourselves, so
> > IMHO we can upload this already.
>
> Ok, I've gone ahead and uploaded bbswitch a few minutes ago.
>
> > I'm happy to take care of it, if one of you whitelists my key for the
> > package. Thanks!
>
> Of course. :)
Thank you!

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment