Bug#813627: mate-terminal.wrapper doesn't run commands with parameters with -e opti,on

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#813627: mate-terminal.wrapper doesn't run commands with parameters with -e opti,on

Stefano Salvi-2
Package: mate-terminal
Version: 1.8.1+dfsg1-4
Severity: normal
Tags: patch

Dear Maintainer,

I tred to execute the result of a compilation within Geany (a GTK simpe
editor/ide).
The terminal opens but it contains the following message:

  Errore nel creare il processo figlio per questo terminale

Esecuzione del processo figlio "/bin/sh ./geany_run_script.sh" non riuscita
(File o directory non esistente)

that translates to:

Error in creating child process
Execution of child process "/bin/sh ./geany_run_script.sh" failed (file or
directory missing)

The correct result would be the execution of the compiled program, it's
output.

In the system only Mate dektop is installed.
Geany invokes x-terminal-emulator -e "/bin/sh ./geany_run_script.sh"
x-terminal-emulator is linked to mate-terminal.wrapper
Mate-terminal.wrapper translates "-e" parameter in the unknown parameter
"-x".

I preapred a patch to solve the proble. Double check it as it modifies the
wrapper in /usr/bin and I'm not shure I prepared it correctly



-- System Information:
Debian Release: 8.3
   APT prefers stable-updates
   APT policy: (500, 'stable-updates'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386

Kernel: Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=it_IT.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)

Versions of packages mate-terminal depends on:
ii  libatk1.0-0           2.14.0-1
ii  libc6                 2.19-18+deb8u2
ii  libcairo2             1.14.0-2.1
ii  libdconf1             0.22.0-1
ii  libfontconfig1        2.11.0-6.3
ii  libfreetype6          2.5.2-3+deb8u1
ii  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0    2.31.1-2+deb8u4
ii  libglib2.0-0          2.42.1-1
ii  libgtk2.0-0           2.24.25-3
ii  libice6               2:1.0.9-1+b1
ii  libpango-1.0-0        1.36.8-3
ii  libpangocairo-1.0-0   1.36.8-3
ii  libpangoft2-1.0-0     1.36.8-3
ii  libsm6                2:1.2.2-1+b1
ii  libvte9               1:0.28.2-5
ii  libx11-6              2:1.6.2-3
ii  libxext6              2:1.3.3-1
ii  mate-desktop-common   1.8.1+dfsg1-3+deb8u1
ii  mate-terminal-common  1.8.1+dfsg1-4
pn  python:any            <none>

mate-terminal recommends no packages.

mate-terminal suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information


mate-terminal.wrapper.patch (663 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#813627: mate-terminal.wrapper doesn't run commands with parameters with -e opti, on

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 02/03/2016 08:59 PM, Stefano Salvi wrote:
> I tred to execute the result of a compilation within Geany (a GTK simpe
> editor/ide).
> The terminal opens but it contains the following message:
>
>  Errore nel creare il processo figlio per questo terminale
>
> Esecuzione del processo figlio "/bin/sh ./geany_run_script.sh" non riuscita
> (File o directory non esistente)

Please run the application you try to debug with "LC_ALL=C", this way
you don't have to translate error messages which is also a very bad
idea since your translation most likely deviates from the
original English error message which means it's very hard to find
bug reports like these when googling the original English error message.

> In the system only Mate dektop is installed.
> Geany invokes x-terminal-emulator -e "/bin/sh ./geany_run_script.sh"
> x-terminal-emulator is linked to mate-terminal.wrapper
> Mate-terminal.wrapper translates "-e" parameter in the unknown parameter
> "-x".

You are reporting a bug against a very old version of mate-terminal. The
wrapper script has been re-written for newer versions of mate-terminal,
you may want to update to a newer version of mate-terminal (and
therefore MATE) first before reporting a bug here. We're not going to
fix bugs in older versions.

> I preapred a patch to solve the proble. Double check it as it modifies the
> wrapper in /usr/bin and I'm not shure I prepared it correctly

That's not a proper patch. Use "diff -u" to create a proper patch.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#813627: mate-terminal.wrapper doesn't run commands with parameters with -e opti, on

Stefano Salvi-2
Il 03/02/2016 21:16, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz ha scritto:

>> In the system only Mate dektop is installed.
>> >Geany invokes x-terminal-emulator -e "/bin/sh ./geany_run_script.sh"
>> >x-terminal-emulator is linked to mate-terminal.wrapper
>> >Mate-terminal.wrapper translates "-e" parameter in the unknown parameter
>> >"-x".
> You are reporting a bug against a very old version of mate-terminal. The
> wrapper script has been re-written for newer versions of mate-terminal,
> you may want to update to a newer version of mate-terminal (and
> therefore MATE) first before reporting a bug here. We're not going to
> fix bugs in older versions.
>
I found this bug in a FRESH Jessie install, so this is the DISTRIBUTED
version. This could be a problem...

It would be better if you put the new wrapper version in stable.

Thank you

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#813627: mate-terminal.wrapper doesn't run commands with parameters with -e opti, on

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 02/04/2016 06:57 AM, Stefano Salvi wrote:
> I found this bug in a FRESH Jessie install, so this is the DISTRIBUTED
> version. This could be a problem...

I could also report a bug against a FRESH install of SuseLinux 5.3
(1998), that it also still DISTRIBUTED on FTP servers. That doesn't
mean, I should.

The fact remains that Debian Jessie (stable) contains an old version
of MATE which no longer receives updates and it's therefore rather
pointless to report bugs against these old versions.

> It would be better if you put the new wrapper version in stable.

That is not possible, at least not as simple as you would think.
To update packages in stable, a package maintainer can't simply create
a new package version and upload it. They have to file a bug report
with the stable release managers and ask for permission to update
the package.

The stable release managers are rather strict and it needs quite some
effort to convince them to allow packages to be updated in a stable
release unless it's a security-relevant or critical update. Thus, most
package maintainers usually don't bother with fixing such bugs in stable
and just focus on improving the packages in unstable and consequently
testing as these can be updated right away and without any buerocracy
unless we're in a freeze just before the release of a new stable
version.

> Thank you

Regards,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - [hidden email]
`. `'   Freie Universitaet Berlin - [hidden email]
  `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#813627: mate-terminal.wrapper doesn't run commands with parameters with -e opti, on

Mike Gabriel-4
In reply to this post by Stefano Salvi-2
Control: fixed -1 1.10.0+dfsg1-1~exp1
Control: close -1

On  Mi 03 Feb 2016 20:59:09 CET, Stefano Salvi wrote:

> Package: mate-terminal
> Version: 1.8.1+dfsg1-4
> Severity: normal
> Tags: patch
>
> Dear Maintainer,
>
> I tred to execute the result of a compilation within Geany (a GTK simpe
> editor/ide).
> The terminal opens but it contains the following message:
>
>  Errore nel creare il processo figlio per questo terminale
>
> Esecuzione del processo figlio "/bin/sh ./geany_run_script.sh" non riuscita
> (File o directory non esistente)
>
> that translates to:
>
> Error in creating child process
> Execution of child process "/bin/sh ./geany_run_script.sh" failed (file or
> directory missing)
>
> The correct result would be the execution of the compiled program,  
> it's output.
>
> In the system only Mate dektop is installed.
> Geany invokes x-terminal-emulator -e "/bin/sh ./geany_run_script.sh"
> x-terminal-emulator is linked to mate-terminal.wrapper
> Mate-terminal.wrapper translates "-e" parameter in the unknown  
> parameter "-x".
>
> I preapred a patch to solve the proble. Double check it as it modifies the
> wrapper in /usr/bin and I'm not shure I prepared it correctly
>
This issue has been resolved since mate-terminal 1.10

I don't have prio to prepare a jessie-pu for this, so simply closing  
this bug for now.

Mike
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148
landline: +49 (4354) 8390 139

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: [hidden email], http://das-netzwerkteam.de


attachment0 (868 bytes) Download Attachment