Bug#900519: unscd: Please add systemd notification support for startup error reporting

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#900519: unscd: Please add systemd notification support for startup error reporting

Ferenc Wágner-2
Package: unscd
Version: 0.53-1
Severity: minor
Tags: patch

Dear Maintainer,

If (for example) one sets "server-user" to an invalid user name in the
config file, unscd fails to start up but "systemctl start unscd" does
not report this failure.  This is a shortcoming of Type=simple services.
Please consider switching to Type=notify to remedy this.  Please refer
to https://github.com/wferi/unscd for my idea of the implementation.
That repo also contains 5 other patches on top of that fixing various
info level issues reported by Lintian.  Please let me know if you'd
prefer getting the patches by some other means.
--
Thanks,
Feri.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#900519: unscd: Please add systemd notification support for startup error reporting

Don Armstrong-2
On Thu, 31 May 2018, Ferenc Wágner wrote:
> If (for example) one sets "server-user" to an invalid user name in the
> config file, unscd fails to start up but "systemctl start unscd" does
> not report this failure.  This is a shortcoming of Type=simple services.
> Please consider switching to Type=notify to remedy this.  Please refer
> to https://github.com/wferi/unscd for my idea of the implementation.
> That repo also contains 5 other patches on top of that fixing various
> info level issues reported by Lintian.  Please let me know if you'd
> prefer getting the patches by some other means.

Thanks for the patches; I've gone ahead and added them. I'll upload
after testing.

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

Some pirates achieved immortality by great deeds of cruelty or
daring-do. Some achieved immortality by amassing great wealth. But
the captain had long ago decided that he would, on the whole, prefer
to achieve immortality by not dying.
 -- Terry Pratchet _The Color of Magic_

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#900519: unscd: Please add systemd notification support for startup error reporting

wferi
Don Armstrong <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, 31 May 2018, Ferenc Wágner wrote:
>
>> If (for example) one sets "server-user" to an invalid user name in the
>> config file, unscd fails to start up but "systemctl start unscd" does
>> not report this failure.  This is a shortcoming of Type=simple services.
>> Please consider switching to Type=notify to remedy this.  Please refer
>> to https://github.com/wferi/unscd for my idea of the implementation.
>> That repo also contains 5 other patches on top of that fixing various
>> info level issues reported by Lintian.  Please let me know if you'd
>> prefer getting the patches by some other means.
>
> Thanks for the patches; I've gone ahead and added them. I'll upload
> after testing.

Thanks for taking them.  However, after having a little sleep, I
recognized that libsystemd is Linux only.  Currently unscd doesn't build
on non-Linux architectures anyway due to unrelated problems, but I think
it still makes sense to conditionalize libsystemd usage.  I'll push a
patch doing that shortly.
--
Regards,
Feri

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#900519: unscd: Please add systemd notification support for startup error reporting

wferi
[hidden email] (Ferenc Wágner) writes:

> Don Armstrong <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 31 May 2018, Ferenc Wágner wrote:
>>
>>> If (for example) one sets "server-user" to an invalid user name in the
>>> config file, unscd fails to start up but "systemctl start unscd" does
>>> not report this failure.  This is a shortcoming of Type=simple services.
>>> Please consider switching to Type=notify to remedy this.  Please refer
>>> to https://github.com/wferi/unscd for my idea of the implementation.
>>> That repo also contains 5 other patches on top of that fixing various
>>> info level issues reported by Lintian.  Please let me know if you'd
>>> prefer getting the patches by some other means.
>>
>> Thanks for the patches; I've gone ahead and added them. I'll upload
>> after testing.
>
> Thanks for taking them.  However, after having a little sleep, I
> recognized that libsystemd is Linux only.  Currently unscd doesn't build
> on non-Linux architectures anyway due to unrelated problems, but I think
> it still makes sense to conditionalize libsystemd usage.  I'll push a
> patch doing that shortly.

Done.  Meanwhile I realized that unscd uses the Linux-only procfs to
re-exec itself, so achieving portability does not seem a simple task.
--
Regards,
Feri