Bug#916122: pbuilder: misleading warning about missing cgroups

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#916122: pbuilder: misleading warning about missing cgroups

Reiner Herrmann
Source: pbuilder
Version: 0.230.1
Severity: minor

Dear maintainer,

I noticed that pbuilder prints a warning at the beginning of each build
that cgroups are not available:

> W: cgroups are not available on the host, not using them.

But they actually are available on my system:

# grep cgroup /proc/mounts
cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup cgroup rw,relatime,cpuset,cpu,cpuacct,blkio,memory,devices,freezer,net_cls,perf_event,net_prio,pids 0 0

pbuilder assumes that cgroup support is only available on systems with systemd.
But they can also be used with some basic file system operations in the cgroup
mount point.

Please change the warning message to something like:
"W: cgroup support is currenly only implemented for hosts running systemd"

(Or instead add cgroup support independent of systemd (and change
severity to wishlist) ;) )

Kind regards,
  Reiner

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#916122: pbuilder: misleading warning about missing cgroups

Yves-Alexis Perez-2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 12:22:09 +0100 Reiner Herrmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Source: pbuilder
> Version: 0.230.1
> Severity: minor
>
> Dear maintainer,
>
> I noticed that pbuilder prints a warning at the beginning of each build
> that cgroups are not available:
>
> > W: cgroups are not available on the host, not using them.
>
> But they actually are available on my system:
>
> # grep cgroup /proc/mounts
> cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup cgroup
rw,relatime,cpuset,cpu,cpuacct,blkio,memory,devices,freezer,net_cls,perf_event
,net_prio,pids 0 0
>
> pbuilder assumes that cgroup support is only available on systems with
systemd.
> But they can also be used with some basic file system operations in the
cgroup
> mount point.
>
> Please change the warning message to something like:
> "W: cgroup support is currenly only implemented for hosts running systemd"
>
> (Or instead add cgroup support independent of systemd (and change
> severity to wishlist) ;) )

Also, I also have the message while I *am* using systemd as init system.

Regards.
- --
Yves-Alexis
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCAAdFiEE8vi34Qgfo83x35gF3rYcyPpXRFsFAlwx3KcACgkQ3rYcyPpX
RFv5AggAzy7e0sAhQDiw7RH07HxJNPvA9btl5aQPE2klt/t77n367jMRgwHa2dfS
5MDlSqA+MKc9Ahfk+qUopxEDlGLv5XTabgKtcXXgMAWxkCBeDIjSd34c0wJPcYWu
EYKjvDczLx4hzfi3U5wPy28wcZEyLdUeYkShvrUtb55ZIEgdIqSubGpxFzhnACG+
gjuDwgpOCHDFH7+pl7UHFIzRG2tnli9EMZUCmMCz+UgDOuhaX65EgQD3wztJSswC
xl1GlDceTcbCR6K2qJrJUo9jJ7rUHpDgvpvdUV5i2ZeGMFxDutH895rSzb3X/1DT
TErSSjvFnneEcYa/dXDSkZ9oppwFvw==
=WpOg
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#916122: pbuilder: misleading warning about missing cgroups

Mattia Rizzolo-5
On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 11:47:03AM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> Also, I also have the message while I *am* using systemd as init system.

Most likely that's a different issue, filed as #917354
Check your system with `systemctl list-units --failed`.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

GPG Key: 66AE 2B4A FCCF 3F52 DA18  4D18 4B04 3FCD B944 4540      .''`.
more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :
Launchpad user: https://launchpad.net/~mapreri                  `. `'`
Debian QA page: https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=mattia  `-

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#916122: pbuilder: misleading warning about missing cgroups

Yves-Alexis Perez-2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

On Mon, 2019-01-07 at 16:03 +0100, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 11:47:03AM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > Also, I also have the message while I *am* using systemd as init system.
>
> Most likely that's a different issue, filed as #917354
> Check your system with `systemctl list-units --failed`.

Indeed, my system is basically half the time in degraded mode:

root@scapa:~# systemctl is-system-running
degraded
root@scapa:~# echo $?
1
root@scapa:~# systemctl --failed
  UNIT                      LOAD   ACTIVE
SUB    DESCRIPTION                  
‚óŹ mnt-scapa\x2dbackup.mount loaded failed failed /mnt/scapa-backup  

(this is my external backup drive). Thanks for the tip anyway.

Regards,
- --
Yves-Alexis
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQEzBAEBCAAdFiEE8vi34Qgfo83x35gF3rYcyPpXRFsFAlwzhc0ACgkQ3rYcyPpX
RFuiyAgA1uNqzXQbZPhU0vA3hQXX5FuwzspFloppHfvFq4JB35Z0ZnXmpb94uUZs
z8ikmMaz8cZRbq2cC/F4bLILrvSYev7mcWEb/N7FoiHfZL3r+Rp/lLwytbKQfqk4
WOY3qorpMaHewUHVLFAA/AsleMHbkkXNeqnQRCU3u1W0LclDDqgvRufTWtC9NiSt
NfT2aNROyjpob9Cnkdl+kAURkC9IaeDn8bJKmreAmHWHMsfNvOm02XpB2As/jQPz
r9SVBtdiM33MZ33R/3EZ300rJQ694FZ3QaDtmw0cLsCCSA62EVhWOGJFxMedpjG1
qXpTjvtGXhDepI9R2Kp8LcEild4ssw==
=LTmk
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----