Bug#919593: julia: Please use LLVM 6.0 packages

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#919593: julia: Please use LLVM 6.0 packages

Sylvestre Ledru-6
Source: julia
Version: 1.0.3+dfsg-3
Severity: important

Hello

Julia should use LLVM debian packages, not embedding them.
If you have any issue with the current llvm packages, please
open bugs and we will adress them.

Thanks,
Sylvestre

-- System Information:
Debian Release: buster/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (900, 'testing'), (600, 'unstable'), (500, 'stable'), (300, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386

Kernel: Linux 4.18.0-2-amd64 (SMP w/12 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE=fr_FR.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#919593: julia: Please use LLVM 6.0 packages

M. Zhou
Hi Sylvestre,

Thanks for offering help. Julia ships embedded LLVM because we want to
apply all the upstream patches (although I don't care about the portion
of patches for windows). I've filed an bug against LLVM 6 and pointed
out the location of upstream patches.

Another issue we encountered about LLVM is it's emitting NEON code on armv7,
which resulted in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=919183

Recently in discussions with ginggs we reached an agreement to ignore
the NEON code problem on armhf ... and I've found no solution for it.
Upstream encountered similar problem long time ago[1], but I think
we don't have to completely disable NEON now ... since julia compiles
multiple code branches.

[1] https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/19022

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#919593: julia: Please use LLVM 6.0 packages

Sylvestre Ledru-6

Le 18/01/2019 à 05:05, M. Zhou a écrit :
> Hi Sylvestre,
>
> Thanks for offering help. Julia ships embedded LLVM because we want to
> apply all the upstream patches (although I don't care about the portion
> of patches for windows). I've filed an bug against LLVM 6 and pointed
> out the location of upstream patches.
Could you share this bug number?
> Another issue we encountered about LLVM is it's emitting NEON code on armv7,
> which resulted in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=919183

We can fix this one.

S

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#919593: julia: Please use LLVM 6.0 packages

Graham Inggs-3
In reply to this post by Sylvestre Ledru-6
Hi Sylvestre

On 2019/01/17 20:00, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Julia should use LLVM debian packages, not embedding them.
> If you have any issue with the current llvm packages, please
> open bugs and we will adress them.

Why are you asking us to use the LLVM 6.0 packages when you are already
filing bugs [1][2] against other packages asking them to switch to LLVM 7?

The llvm-toolchain-6.0 source package already has a removal bug [3]
filed against it!

Regards
Graham


[1] https://bugs.debian.org/912785
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/912793
[3] https://bugs.debian.org/916837

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#919593: julia: Please use LLVM 6.0 packages

Sylvestre Ledru-6
Le 18/01/2019 à 13:42, Graham Inggs a écrit :
> Hi Sylvestre
>
> On 2019/01/17 20:00, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
>> Julia should use LLVM debian packages, not embedding them.
>> If you have any issue with the current llvm packages, please
>> open bugs and we will adress them.
>
> Why are you asking us to use the LLVM 6.0 packages when you are already filing bugs [1][2] against other packages asking them to switch to LLVM 7?
Well, if you can use llvm-7, this would be indeed better.

> The llvm-toolchain-6.0 source package already has a removal bug [3] filed against it!
Which doesn't mean it will happen in time for Buster...
This is just a meta bug to keep track of the remaining work?

Sylvestre

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#919593: julia: Please use LLVM 6.0 packages

Julien Cristau-6
In reply to this post by M. Zhou
On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 04:05:21 +0000, M. Zhou wrote:

> Another issue we encountered about LLVM is it's emitting NEON code on armv7,
> which resulted in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=919183
>
> Recently in discussions with ginggs we reached an agreement to ignore
> the NEON code problem on armhf ... and I've found no solution for it.

Violating architecture baseline is a serious bug, I don't think you get
to just ignore it.

Cheers,
Julien

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#919593: julia: Please use LLVM 6.0 packages

M. Zhou
On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 02:32:18PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 04:05:21 +0000, M. Zhou wrote:
>
> > Another issue we encountered about LLVM is it's emitting NEON code on armv7,
> > which resulted in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=919183
> >
> > Recently in discussions with ginggs we reached an agreement to ignore
> > the NEON code problem on armhf ... and I've found no solution for it.
>
> Violating architecture baseline is a serious bug, I don't think you get
> to just ignore it.

Please don't ignore the context. That's NOT baseline violation, but
just wrong CPU detection by LLVM, and Sylvestre is fixing it.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#919593: julia: Please use LLVM 6.0 packages

Sylvestre Ledru-6

Le 19/01/2019 à 16:07, M. Zhou a écrit :

> On Sat, Jan 19, 2019 at 02:32:18PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 04:05:21 +0000, M. Zhou wrote:
>>
>>> Another issue we encountered about LLVM is it's emitting NEON code on armv7,
>>> which resulted in https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=919183
>>>
>>> Recently in discussions with ginggs we reached an agreement to ignore
>>> the NEON code problem on armhf ... and I've found no solution for it.
>> Violating architecture baseline is a serious bug, I don't think you get
>> to just ignore it.
> Please don't ignore the context. That's NOT baseline violation, but
> just wrong CPU detection by LLVM, and Sylvestre is fixing it.

Adrian fixed it already in the vcs

I will upload it once I cherry-picked the most important patches

Sylvestre