Bug#930238: unblock: zfs-linux/0.7.12-2+deb10u1 [t-p-u]

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#930238: unblock: zfs-linux/0.7.12-2+deb10u1 [t-p-u]

Mo Zhou
Package: release.debian.org
Severity: normal
User: [hidden email]
Usertags: unblock

Please unblock package zfs-linux

Following
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch05.en.html#t-p-u
I've not uploaded it yet but asking for permission first.

(explain the reason for the unblock here)

Fix a GRAVE stable RC due to linux's unexporting several
fpu-related symbols:

  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=929929

This is the very only purpose of this upload.
The solution in this upload is cherry-picked from upstream,
which directly disable the SIMD thing for linux (>= 4.19.38).

I scanned the rest historical patches we have applied to
zfs 0.7.12. Some of them fix crashes and segfaults but they
don't look fatal enough and would inflate the debdiff hence
incur rejection. Let's forget them.

I've tested this patch on Buster with a manually-built
4.19.48 kernel (make defconfig, make, make bindeb-pkg).

Full source:
https://people.debian.org/~lumin/upload/zfs-linux_0.7.12-2+deb10u1_source.changes
Debdiff: attached.

(include/attach the debdiff against the package in testing)

unblock zfs-linux/0.7.12-2+deb10u1

zfs-0.7.12-2_0.7.12-2+d10u1.diff (16K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#930238: unblock: zfs-linux/0.7.12-2+deb10u1 [t-p-u]

Paul Gevers-4
Control: tags -1 moreinfo

Hi Mo,

On 09-06-2019 05:41, Mo Zhou wrote:
> Following
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch05.en.html#t-p-u
> I've not uploaded it yet but asking for permission first.

Thanks.

> Fix a GRAVE stable RC due to linux's unexporting several
> fpu-related symbols:
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=929929
>
> This is the very only purpose of this upload.
> The solution in this upload is cherry-picked from upstream,
> which directly disable the SIMD thing for linux (>= 4.19.38).
>
> I scanned the rest historical patches we have applied to
> zfs 0.7.12. Some of them fix crashes and segfaults but they
> don't look fatal enough and would inflate the debdiff hence
> incur rejection. Let's forget them.
>
> I've tested this patch on Buster with a manually-built
> 4.19.48 kernel (make defconfig, make, make bindeb-pkg).
>
> Full source:
> https://people.debian.org/~lumin/upload/zfs-linux_0.7.12-2+deb10u1_source.changes
> Debdiff: attached.
>
> (include/attach the debdiff against the package in testing)
>
> unblock zfs-linux/0.7.12-2+deb10u1
We are not promising to unblock the package, but we recognize it that
you can't help it that the kernel is breaking your package in the
future. So please upload to tpu, have the package built and please
solicit people to test the package. Please report back with the results.

Paul


signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#930238: unblock: zfs-linux/0.7.12-2+deb10u1 [t-p-u]

Aron Xu-3
In reply to this post by Mo Zhou
Hi,

I have tested the package in a virtual machine on amd64 for
linux/4.19.37-3 (buster) and a locally built updated linux kernel that
breaks zfs-linux/0.7.12-2. The dkms package builds fine with both of
the versions and zpool create/export/import works fine. Therefore,
please unblock the t-p-u update for buster, thanks.

Regards,
Aron

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#930238: unblock: zfs-linux/0.7.12-2+deb10u1 [t-p-u]

Paul Gevers-4
Hi Mo, Aron,

On 14-06-2019 12:50, Aron Xu wrote:
> I have tested the package in a virtual machine on amd64 for
> linux/4.19.37-3 (buster) and a locally built updated linux kernel that
> breaks zfs-linux/0.7.12-2. The dkms package builds fine with both of
> the versions and zpool create/export/import works fine. Therefore,
> please unblock the t-p-u update for buster, thanks.

I am probably asking a very stupid question, but ...

The changes in the patch are in the source code. Do these dkms package
work is such a way that the binaries are compiled every time that a
kernel gets updated? I.e. a change in the source that checks for the
kernel version actually results in a binary that works for that source?

Paul


signature.asc (499 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#930238: unblock: zfs-linux/0.7.12-2+deb10u1 [t-p-u]

Philipp Kern-6
On 2019-06-15 11:04, Paul Gevers wrote:

> On 14-06-2019 12:50, Aron Xu wrote:
>> I have tested the package in a virtual machine on amd64 for
>> linux/4.19.37-3 (buster) and a locally built updated linux kernel that
>> breaks zfs-linux/0.7.12-2. The dkms package builds fine with both of
>> the versions and zpool create/export/import works fine. Therefore,
>> please unblock the t-p-u update for buster, thanks.
>
> I am probably asking a very stupid question, but ...
>
> The changes in the patch are in the source code. Do these dkms package
> work is such a way that the binaries are compiled every time that a
> kernel gets updated? I.e. a change in the source that checks for the
> kernel version actually results in a binary that works for that source?

The whole point of dkms is to make sure that kernel modules available as
source are made available to all installed kernels. So as long as the
ABI version of the kernel changes (in Ubuntu with every upload, for us
much more rarely) the module is recompiled. The corollary here is that
it is not recompiled if the ABI version did not change because the
module is assumed to still be compatible.

(Our kernel maintainers also regularly ignore certain ABI changes they
do not consider to actually be part of the ABI they support.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern