Bug#930473: bsdgames: New wtf acronym makes no sense

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#930473: bsdgames: New wtf acronym makes no sense

Salvo Tomaselli-3
Package: bsdgames
Version: 2.17-28
Severity: normal

Dear Maintainer,

The new acronym for wtf makes 0 sense.

It's introduced with this patch.

-WTF    {what,where,who,why} the fuck
+WTF    where's the food

Let's expand this:

wtf is lol → where is the food is lol.

Does it make sense? No.

Best

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 10.0
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (500, 'testing')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386

Kernel: Linux 4.9.0-8-amd64 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=it_IT.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8) (ignored: LC_ALL set to it_IT.UTF-8), LANGUAGE=it (charmap=UTF-8) (ignored: LC_ALL set to it_IT.UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)

Versions of packages bsdgames depends on:
ii  libc6                 2.28-10
ii  libfl2                2.6.4-6.2
ii  libgcc1               1:8.3.0-6
ii  libncurses6           6.1+20181013-2
ii  libstdc++6            8.3.0-6
ii  libtinfo6             6.1+20181013-2
ii  wamerican [wordlist]  2018.04.16-1
ii  witalian [wordlist]   1.10

bsdgames recommends no packages.

bsdgames suggests no packages.

-- no debconf information
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#930473: bsdgames: New wtf acronym makes no sense

Fabian Greffrath-12
Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> -WTF    {what,where,who,why} the fuck
> +WTF    where's the food

It's understandable that this was introduced to avoid using the f-word.
How about replacing it with "frick" or "fsck" instead?

 - Fabian

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#930473: bsdgames: New wtf acronym makes no sense

Trek-2
In reply to this post by Salvo Tomaselli-3
On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:30:51 +0200
Fabian Greffrath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's understandable that this was introduced to avoid using the
> f-word. How about replacing it with "frick" or "fsck" instead?

frick seems to me to be the most appropriate

fsck can cause confusion, it is not a filesystem check

where is the food: what the heck? no fantasy here? what it means? how
changing the meaning of an utility can be considered acceptable? if we
really want to be boringly polite, then why not "what term for"?

ciao :)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#930473: bsdgames: New wtf acronym makes no sense

Trek-2
On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:27:33 +0200
Trek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> where is the food: what the heck? no fantasy here? what it means? how
> changing the meaning of an utility can be considered acceptable? if we
> really want to be boringly polite, then why not "what term for"?

sorry, I misunderstood, only the meaning of the acronym for wtf was
changed, not the wtf utility

anyway it seems unfair to me, it would be better to remove the wtf
acronym instead of to display a false meaning, that would be confusing
and spread misinformation

ciao ciao :)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#930473: bsdgames: New wtf acronym makes no sense

Salvo Tomaselli-3
In reply to this post by Fabian Greffrath-12
I'd go for fsck or f*ck

Best

Il giorno gio 13 giu 2019 alle ore 13:30 Fabian Greffrath
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>
> Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> > -WTF    {what,where,who,why} the fuck
> > +WTF    where's the food
>
> It's understandable that this was introduced to avoid using the f-word.
> How about replacing it with "frick" or "fsck" instead?
>
>  - Fabian
>
>


--
Salvo Tomaselli

"Io non mi sento obbligato a credere che lo stesso Dio che ci ha dotato di
senso, ragione ed intelletto intendesse che noi ne facessimo a meno."
                -- Galileo Galilei

http://ltworf.github.io/ltworf/