Bug#932042: wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss when this is enabled

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#932042: wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss when this is enabled

Vincent Lefevre-10
Package: wicd-daemon
Version: 1.7.4+tb2-6
Severity: important

I have the option "Automatically reconnect on network connection loss"
ticked. But wicd does not automatically reconnect, whether the GUI is
open or not.

To reproduce:
1. Connect to a wifi hotspot (e.g. provided by an Android device).
2. Optionally close the wicd GUI.
3. Disable the hotspot on the device.
4. Reenable the hotspot on the device.

After (3), I get a disconnection, but after (4), no reconnection is
done.

An excerpt of the wicd.log file (where I've hidden the PSK):

[...]
2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: GetCurrentNetworkID: Returning -1, current network not found
2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: Autoconnecting...
2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: Starting wireless autoconnect...
2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect to wireless network
2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: scanning start
2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: ifconfig wlp61s0 up
2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: iwlist wlp61s0 scan
2019/07/14 12:42:48 :: scanning done
2019/07/14 12:42:48 :: found 4 networks:
2019/07/14 12:42:48 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: GetCurrentNetworkID: Returning -1, current network not found
2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: Autoconnecting...
2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: Starting wireless autoconnect...
2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect to wireless network
2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: scanning start
2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: ifconfig wlp61s0 up
2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: iwlist wlp61s0 scan
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: scanning done
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found 8 networks:
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found afterscript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found dhcphostname in configuration zira
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found ip in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found dns_domain in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found gateway in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found use_global_dns in configuration False
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found postdisconnectscript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found beforescript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found psk in configuration XXX
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found netmask in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found key in configuration *****
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found usedhcphostname in configuration 0
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found predisconnectscript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found bitrate in configuration auto
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found enctype in configuration wpa
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found allow_lower_bitrates in configuration 0
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found dns3 in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found dns2 in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found dns1 in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found use_settings_globally in configuration False
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found use_static_dns in configuration False
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found search_domain in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: GetCurrentNetworkID: Returning -1, current network not found
2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: Autoconnecting...
2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: Starting wireless autoconnect...
2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect to wireless network
2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: scanning start
2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: ifconfig wlp61s0 up
2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: iwlist wlp61s0 scan
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: scanning done
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found 8 networks:
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found afterscript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found dhcphostname in configuration zira
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found ip in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found dns_domain in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found gateway in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found use_global_dns in configuration False
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found postdisconnectscript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found beforescript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found psk in configuration XXX
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found netmask in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found key in configuration *****
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found usedhcphostname in configuration 0
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found predisconnectscript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found bitrate in configuration auto
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found enctype in configuration wpa
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found allow_lower_bitrates in configuration 0
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found dns3 in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found dns2 in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found dns1 in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found use_settings_globally in configuration False
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found use_static_dns in configuration False
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found search_domain in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: GetCurrentNetworkID: Returning -1, current network not found
2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: Autoconnecting...
2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: Starting wireless autoconnect...
2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect to wireless network
2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: scanning start
2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: ifconfig wlp61s0 up
2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: iwlist wlp61s0 scan
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: scanning done
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found 9 networks:
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found afterscript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found dhcphostname in configuration zira
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found ip in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found dns_domain in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found gateway in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found use_global_dns in configuration False
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found postdisconnectscript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found beforescript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found psk in configuration XXX
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found netmask in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found key in configuration *****
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found usedhcphostname in configuration 0
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found predisconnectscript in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found bitrate in configuration auto
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found enctype in configuration wpa
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found allow_lower_bitrates in configuration 0
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found dns3 in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found dns2 in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found dns1 in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found use_settings_globally in configuration False
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found use_static_dns in configuration False
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found search_domain in configuration None
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
2019/07/14 12:43:05 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
2019/07/14 12:43:10 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
2019/07/14 12:43:15 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
2019/07/14 12:43:20 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
[...]

Note: I think that wicd will automatically reconnect when the option
"Automatically connect to this network" for the network is on, just
because of that, independently from the "Automatically reconnect on
network connection loss" global setting. Thus make sure that this
option "Automatically connect to this network" for the tested network
is off when doing the test.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: bullseye/sid
  APT prefers unstable-debug
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable-debug'), (500, 'unstable'), (500, 'testing'), (500, 'stable'), (1, 'experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-5-amd64 (SMP w/8 CPU cores)
Kernel taint flags: TAINT_PROPRIETARY_MODULE, TAINT_OOT_MODULE, TAINT_UNSIGNED_MODULE
Locale: LANG=POSIX, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE=POSIX (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled

Versions of packages wicd-daemon depends on:
ii  adduser           3.118
ii  dbus              1.12.16-1
ii  debconf           1.5.72
ii  iputils-ping      3:20190515-2
ii  isc-dhcp-client   4.4.1-2
ii  lsb-base          10.2019051400
ii  psmisc            23.2-1
ii  python            2.7.16-1
ii  python-dbus       1.2.8-3
ii  python-gobject-2  2.28.6-13+b1
ii  python-wicd       1.7.4+tb2-6
ii  wireless-tools    30~pre9-13
ii  wpasupplicant     2:2.8-3

Versions of packages wicd-daemon recommends:
ii  rfkill                     2.33.1-0.1
ii  wicd-curses [wicd-client]  1.7.4+tb2-6
ii  wicd-gtk [wicd-client]     1.7.4+tb2-6

Versions of packages wicd-daemon suggests:
pn  pm-utils  <none>

Versions of packages wicd depends on:
ii  wicd-curses [wicd-client]  1.7.4+tb2-6
ii  wicd-gtk [wicd-client]     1.7.4+tb2-6

Versions of packages wicd-gtk depends on:
ii  python         2.7.16-1
ii  python-glade2  2.24.0-6
ii  python-gtk2    2.24.0-6

Versions of packages wicd-gtk recommends:
ii  menu           2.1.47+b1
ii  policykit-1    0.105-25
ii  python-notify  0.1.1-4

Versions of packages wicd-curses depends on:
ii  python        2.7.16-1
ii  python-urwid  2.0.1-2+b1

Versions of packages wicd-curses recommends:
ii  sudo  1.8.27-1

Versions of packages python-wicd depends on:
ii  net-tools  1.60+git20180626.aebd88e-1
ii  python     2.7.16-1

Versions of packages python-wicd suggests:
ii  ethtool   1:4.19-1
ii  iproute2  5.2.0-1

-- Configuration Files:
/etc/wicd/encryption/templates/active changed:
wpa
wpa-peap
wpa-peap-wo-domain
wpa-psk
wpa-psk-hex
wpa2-leap
wpa2-peap
wpa2-peap-wo-domain
wep-hex
wep-passphrase
wep-shared
leap
ttls
eap
peap
peap-eduroam
peap-tkip
eap-tls
psu


-- debconf information:
* wicd/users:

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#932042: [pkg-wicd-maint] Bug#932042: wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss when this is enabled

Salvo Tomaselli-3
It is probably some corner case, auto reconnect works fine for me.

Il giorno dom 14 lug 2019 alle ore 12:58 Vincent Lefevre
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>
> Package: wicd-daemon
> Version: 1.7.4+tb2-6
> Severity: important
>
> I have the option "Automatically reconnect on network connection loss"
> ticked. But wicd does not automatically reconnect, whether the GUI is
> open or not.
>
> To reproduce:
> 1. Connect to a wifi hotspot (e.g. provided by an Android device).
> 2. Optionally close the wicd GUI.
> 3. Disable the hotspot on the device.
> 4. Reenable the hotspot on the device.
>
> After (3), I get a disconnection, but after (4), no reconnection is
> done.
>
> An excerpt of the wicd.log file (where I've hidden the PSK):
>
> [...]
> 2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
> 2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: GetCurrentNetworkID: Returning -1, current network not found
> 2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: Autoconnecting...
> 2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: Starting wireless autoconnect...
> 2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect to wireless network
> 2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: scanning start
> 2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: ifconfig wlp61s0 up
> 2019/07/14 12:42:45 :: iwlist wlp61s0 scan
> 2019/07/14 12:42:48 :: scanning done
> 2019/07/14 12:42:48 :: found 4 networks:
> 2019/07/14 12:42:48 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
> 2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
> 2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: GetCurrentNetworkID: Returning -1, current network not found
> 2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: Autoconnecting...
> 2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: Starting wireless autoconnect...
> 2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect to wireless network
> 2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: scanning start
> 2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: ifconfig wlp61s0 up
> 2019/07/14 12:42:50 :: iwlist wlp61s0 scan
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: scanning done
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found 8 networks:
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found afterscript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found dhcphostname in configuration zira
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found ip in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found dns_domain in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found gateway in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found use_global_dns in configuration False
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found postdisconnectscript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found beforescript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found psk in configuration XXX
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found netmask in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found key in configuration *****
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found usedhcphostname in configuration 0
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found predisconnectscript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found bitrate in configuration auto
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found enctype in configuration wpa
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found allow_lower_bitrates in configuration 0
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found dns3 in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found dns2 in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found dns1 in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found use_settings_globally in configuration False
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found use_static_dns in configuration False
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: found search_domain in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
> 2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
> 2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: GetCurrentNetworkID: Returning -1, current network not found
> 2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: Autoconnecting...
> 2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: Starting wireless autoconnect...
> 2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect to wireless network
> 2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: scanning start
> 2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: ifconfig wlp61s0 up
> 2019/07/14 12:42:55 :: iwlist wlp61s0 scan
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: scanning done
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found 8 networks:
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found afterscript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found dhcphostname in configuration zira
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found ip in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found dns_domain in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found gateway in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found use_global_dns in configuration False
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found postdisconnectscript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found beforescript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found psk in configuration XXX
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found netmask in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found key in configuration *****
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found usedhcphostname in configuration 0
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found predisconnectscript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found bitrate in configuration auto
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found enctype in configuration wpa
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found allow_lower_bitrates in configuration 0
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found dns3 in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found dns2 in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found dns1 in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found use_settings_globally in configuration False
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found use_static_dns in configuration False
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: found search_domain in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
> 2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
> 2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: GetCurrentNetworkID: Returning -1, current network not found
> 2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: Autoconnecting...
> 2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: Starting wireless autoconnect...
> 2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect to wireless network
> 2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: scanning start
> 2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: ifconfig wlp61s0 up
> 2019/07/14 12:43:00 :: iwlist wlp61s0 scan
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: scanning done
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found 9 networks:
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found afterscript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found dhcphostname in configuration zira
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found ip in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found dns_domain in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found gateway in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found use_global_dns in configuration False
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found postdisconnectscript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found beforescript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found psk in configuration XXX
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found netmask in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found key in configuration *****
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found usedhcphostname in configuration 0
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found predisconnectscript in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found bitrate in configuration auto
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found enctype in configuration wpa
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found allow_lower_bitrates in configuration 0
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found dns3 in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found dns2 in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found dns1 in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found use_settings_globally in configuration False
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found use_static_dns in configuration False
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: found search_domain in configuration None
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
> 2019/07/14 12:43:05 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
> 2019/07/14 12:43:10 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
> 2019/07/14 12:43:15 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
> 2019/07/14 12:43:20 :: ifconfig wlp61s0
> [...]
>
> Note: I think that wicd will automatically reconnect when the option
> "Automatically connect to this network" for the network is on, just
> because of that, independently from the "Automatically reconnect on
> network connection loss" global setting. Thus make sure that this
> option "Automatically connect to this network" for the tested network
> is off when doing the test.
>
> -- System Information:
> Debian Release: bullseye/sid
>   APT prefers unstable-debug
>   APT policy: (500, 'unstable-debug'), (500, 'unstable'), (500, 'testing'), (500, 'stable'), (1, 'experimental')
> Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
>
> Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-5-amd64 (SMP w/8 CPU cores)
> Kernel taint flags: TAINT_PROPRIETARY_MODULE, TAINT_OOT_MODULE, TAINT_UNSIGNED_MODULE
> Locale: LANG=POSIX, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE=POSIX (charmap=UTF-8)
> Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
> Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
> LSM: AppArmor: enabled
>
> Versions of packages wicd-daemon depends on:
> ii  adduser           3.118
> ii  dbus              1.12.16-1
> ii  debconf           1.5.72
> ii  iputils-ping      3:20190515-2
> ii  isc-dhcp-client   4.4.1-2
> ii  lsb-base          10.2019051400
> ii  psmisc            23.2-1
> ii  python            2.7.16-1
> ii  python-dbus       1.2.8-3
> ii  python-gobject-2  2.28.6-13+b1
> ii  python-wicd       1.7.4+tb2-6
> ii  wireless-tools    30~pre9-13
> ii  wpasupplicant     2:2.8-3
>
> Versions of packages wicd-daemon recommends:
> ii  rfkill                     2.33.1-0.1
> ii  wicd-curses [wicd-client]  1.7.4+tb2-6
> ii  wicd-gtk [wicd-client]     1.7.4+tb2-6
>
> Versions of packages wicd-daemon suggests:
> pn  pm-utils  <none>
>
> Versions of packages wicd depends on:
> ii  wicd-curses [wicd-client]  1.7.4+tb2-6
> ii  wicd-gtk [wicd-client]     1.7.4+tb2-6
>
> Versions of packages wicd-gtk depends on:
> ii  python         2.7.16-1
> ii  python-glade2  2.24.0-6
> ii  python-gtk2    2.24.0-6
>
> Versions of packages wicd-gtk recommends:
> ii  menu           2.1.47+b1
> ii  policykit-1    0.105-25
> ii  python-notify  0.1.1-4
>
> Versions of packages wicd-curses depends on:
> ii  python        2.7.16-1
> ii  python-urwid  2.0.1-2+b1
>
> Versions of packages wicd-curses recommends:
> ii  sudo  1.8.27-1
>
> Versions of packages python-wicd depends on:
> ii  net-tools  1.60+git20180626.aebd88e-1
> ii  python     2.7.16-1
>
> Versions of packages python-wicd suggests:
> ii  ethtool   1:4.19-1
> ii  iproute2  5.2.0-1
>
> -- Configuration Files:
> /etc/wicd/encryption/templates/active changed:
> wpa
> wpa-peap
> wpa-peap-wo-domain
> wpa-psk
> wpa-psk-hex
> wpa2-leap
> wpa2-peap
> wpa2-peap-wo-domain
> wep-hex
> wep-passphrase
> wep-shared
> leap
> ttls
> eap
> peap
> peap-eduroam
> peap-tkip
> eap-tls
> psu
>
>
> -- debconf information:
> * wicd/users:
>
> _______________________________________________
> pkg-wicd-maint mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://alioth-lists.debian.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pkg-wicd-maint



--
Salvo Tomaselli

"Io non mi sento obbligato a credere che lo stesso Dio che ci ha dotato di
senso, ragione ed intelletto intendesse che noi ne facessimo a meno."
                -- Galileo Galilei

http://ltworf.github.io/ltworf/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#932042: wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss when this is enabled

Axel Beckert-8
Dear Salvo,

Salvo Tomaselli wrote:
> It is probably some corner case, auto reconnect works fine for me.
>
> Il giorno dom 14 lug 2019 alle ore 12:58 Vincent Lefevre
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[About 250 lines of completely unnecessary full-quote stripped]

If you only have one line of comment to a bug report, please do not
quote the complete bug report (in this case even with including all
debugging logs).

This is a completely unnecessary waste of time (of those reading your
mail) and space (in terms of scrolling through a bug report).

Thanks in advance.

                Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <[hidden email]>, https://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin
`. `'   |  4096R: 2517 B724 C5F6 CA99 5329  6E61 2FF9 CD59 6126 16B5
  `-    |  1024D: F067 EA27 26B9 C3FC 1486  202E C09E 1D89 9593 0EDE

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#932042: [pkg-wicd-maint] Bug#932042: wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss when this is enabled

Axel Beckert-8
In reply to this post by Vincent Lefevre-10
Control: tag -1 + upstream

Hi Vincent,

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> I have the option "Automatically reconnect on network connection loss"
> ticked. But wicd does not automatically reconnect, whether the GUI is
> open or not.

Thanks for the bug report.

> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: Gemini WiFi has profile

I assume "Gemini WiFi" is the essid of your described setup.

> 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
[...]
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
> 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
[...]
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
> 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect

So I suspect that finding the reason for the "Unable to autoconnect,
you'll have to manually connect" message is what would help to solve
this.

> Note: I think that wicd will automatically reconnect when the option
> "Automatically connect to this network" for the network is on, just
> because of that, independently from the "Automatically reconnect on
> network connection loss" global setting. Thus make sure that this
> option "Automatically connect to this network" for the tested network
> is off when doing the test.

Hrm, you've got a point there, but I'm not sure if this is by design.

Being picky you could say that "Automatically reconnect on network
connection loss" should only work for wifi networks where
"Automatically connect to this network" is set, too.

But then again, in that case "Automatically reconnect on network
connection loss" as a separate global setting wouldn't make that much
sense, maybe unless you want to disable automatic reconnect globally
even if it is enabled for some wifi networks.

There is also this rather old bug report at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/wicd/+bug/480097 and
https://bugs.debian.org/544410 which might be related. The one on
launchpad is still open, the one in the Debian BTS has been closed,
because two of the reporters could no more reproduce it without any
code change.

There are also quite some other bug reports at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/wicd?field.searchtext=reconnect&search=Search
but most of them seem to be related to reconnect after suspend to RAM
or have debug logs attached which don't show the error message above.

                Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <[hidden email]>, https://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin
`. `'   |  4096R: 2517 B724 C5F6 CA99 5329  6E61 2FF9 CD59 6126 16B5
  `-    |  1024D: F067 EA27 26B9 C3FC 1486  202E C09E 1D89 9593 0EDE

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#932042: [pkg-wicd-maint] Bug#932042: wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss when this is enabled

Vincent Lefevre-10
On 2019-07-14 15:30:01 +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
>
> I assume "Gemini WiFi" is the essid of your described setup.

Yes.

> > 2019/07/14 12:42:53 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
> [...]
> > 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
> > 2019/07/14 12:42:58 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
> [...]
> > 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: Gemini WiFi has profile
> > 2019/07/14 12:43:03 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
>
> So I suspect that finding the reason for the "Unable to autoconnect,
> you'll have to manually connect" message is what would help to solve
> this.

Obviously the log should give the reason.

> > Note: I think that wicd will automatically reconnect when the option
> > "Automatically connect to this network" for the network is on, just
> > because of that, independently from the "Automatically reconnect on
> > network connection loss" global setting. Thus make sure that this
> > option "Automatically connect to this network" for the tested network
> > is off when doing the test.
>
> Hrm, you've got a point there, but I'm not sure if this is by design.

This is *not* by design, as clearly documented in the wicd(8) man page:
"even if that network does not have automatic connection enabled".

The man page then says: "should that fail, it will try both a wired
connection and any available wireless networks which have automatic
connection enabled.", which could explain why it works when
"Automatically connect to this network" in on for the considered
network.

> Being picky you could say that "Automatically reconnect on network
> connection loss" should only work for wifi networks where
> "Automatically connect to this network" is set, too.

But for some reason, this is not what I want (e.g. I don't want
to auto-connect to some networks after start up).

> There is also this rather old bug report at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/wicd/+bug/480097 and
> https://bugs.debian.org/544410 which might be related. The one on
> launchpad is still open, the one in the Debian BTS has been closed,
> because two of the reporters could no more reproduce it without any
> code change.

This one could also be the bug when the GUI is open.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <[hidden email]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#932042: [pkg-wicd-maint] Bug#932042: wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss when this is enabled

Vincent Lefevre-10
In reply to this post by Axel Beckert-8
On 2019-07-14 15:30:01 +0200, Axel Beckert wrote:
> So I suspect that finding the reason for the "Unable to autoconnect,
> you'll have to manually connect" message is what would help to solve
> this.

I have an idea of what could have happened. When I did the test,
the network was not available for a few seconds; in particular,
if there was a scan or a connection attempt at that time, this
network could not be visible.

Thus I suppose that after the connection loss, wicd tried to
reconnect immediately, but the network was not there, and it failed
("GetCurrentNetworkID: Returning -1, current network not found"
in the log). Then wicd switched to the autoconnection feature
("Autoconnecting..." in the log), and could not due to my settings
(no networks had the "Automatically connect to this network" set).

... After looking at monitor.py, this seems to be the reason:

            # If we just lost a wireless connection, try to connect to that
            # network again.  Otherwise just call Autoconnect.
            cur_net_id = wireless.GetCurrentNetworkID(self.iwconfig)
            if from_wireless and cur_net_id > -1:
                # make sure disconnect scripts are run
                # before we reconnect
                print 'Disconnecting from network'
                wireless.DisconnectWireless()
                print 'Trying to reconnect to last used wireless ' + \
                      'network'
                wireless.ConnectWireless(cur_net_id)
            else:
                daemon.AutoConnect(True, reply_handler=reply_handle,
                                   error_handler=err_handle)

Here, cur_net_id was -1 (network temporarily unavailable), and the
"else" case was executed.

On connection loss, wicd should keep on trying to connect to what
was the current network, just as if it had "Automatically connect
to this network" set. This is important. For instance, a hotspot
could reboot. In my Gemini WiFi case (not the test), I don't know
what happened, as my Gemini device was still running and I hadn't
touched it; perhaps a bad reception due to some nearby device...

--
Vincent Lefèvre <[hidden email]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#932042: [pkg-wicd-maint] Bug#932042: wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss when this is enabled

Vincent Lefevre-10
Control: retitle -1 wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss if this network is invisible during the unique attempt

according to my explanation (which matches the code and log messages).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <[hidden email]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#932042: [pkg-wicd-maint] Bug#932042: wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss when this is enabled

Vincent Lefevre-10
On 2019-07-15 01:26:48 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Control: retitle -1 wicd-daemon: does not automatically reconnect on network connection loss if this network is invisible during the unique attempt
>
> according to my explanation (which matches the code and log messages).

Actually, there may be 3 or 4 attempts, but during a short period.
Also, I'm not sure, because I didn't get the output

            print 'Starting automatic reconnect process'

in the logs, but this may be another issue...

AutoConnect can be called in 2 places:

1.
                if not daemon.GetGUIOpen():
                    print 'Killing wireless connection to switch to wired...'
                    wireless.DisconnectWireless()
                    daemon.AutoConnect(False, reply_handler=lambda *a:None,
                                       error_handler=lambda *a:None)
                    return self.update_state(misc.NOT_CONNECTED)

which is not possible when the GUI is open (thus this is not
what I could observe in some tests), and anyway the output
of the print is not in the logs.

2.
        if daemon.ShouldAutoReconnect():
            print 'Starting automatic reconnect process'
            self.last_reconnect_time = time.time()
            self.reconnect_tries += 1

            # If we just lost a wireless connection, try to connect to that
            # network again.  Otherwise just call Autoconnect.
            cur_net_id = wireless.GetCurrentNetworkID(self.iwconfig)
            if from_wireless and cur_net_id > -1:
                # make sure disconnect scripts are run
                # before we reconnect
                print 'Disconnecting from network'
                wireless.DisconnectWireless()
                print 'Trying to reconnect to last used wireless ' + \
                      'network'
                wireless.ConnectWireless(cur_net_id)
            else:
                daemon.AutoConnect(True, reply_handler=reply_handle,
                                   error_handler=err_handle)

Same issue with the output of the print.

But the log system in wicd seems broken. I've just reported another
bug:

  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=932094

--
Vincent Lefèvre <[hidden email]> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)