Bug#937009: mercurial: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#937009: mercurial: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye

Matthias Klose
Julian, you added the py2keep tag. Reading the upstream mail for the 5.2
release, it looks like the release will happen next month.  So why keeping it as
Python2 version for the bullseye release?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#937009: mercurial: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye

Julien Cristau-6
On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 02:25:22PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Julian, you added the py2keep tag. Reading the upstream mail for the 5.2
> release, it looks like the release will happen next month.  So why keeping
> it as Python2 version for the bullseye release?

Before switching in sid I'd want to:
- be able to use the python3 version myself
- give extensions some time to figure out their own switch
- ideally not regress significant functionality; e.g. python-subversion
  is still not available for python3

I don't know what that means in terms of timeframe, it may or may not
happen in time for bullseye, but I'm also not in a rush and I'd rather
not break stuff by switching too early.

Cheers,
Julien

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#937009: mercurial: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye

Andrej Shadura
On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 18:31:50 +0100 Julien Cristau <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 02:25:22PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > Julian, you added the py2keep tag. Reading the upstream mail for the 5.2
> > release, it looks like the release will happen next month.  So why keeping
> > it as Python2 version for the bullseye release?
>
> Before switching in sid I'd want to:
> - be able to use the python3 version myself
> - give extensions some time to figure out their own switch
> - ideally not regress significant functionality; e.g. python-subversion
>   is still not available for python3
>
> I don't know what that means in terms of timeframe, it may or may not
> happen in time for bullseye, but I'm also not in a rush and I'd rather
> not break stuff by switching too early.

I would be great if you could ship Mercurial as dual Python 2 + Python 3
package but with /usr/bin/hg being Python 2, so that users can try the
Python 3 version and extensions can be used with either. As it is now,
it’s not possible e.g. to ship TortoiseHg at all since it needs core
Mercurial modules in Python 3 (since Python 2 dependencies it might use
have already been removed).

--
Cheers,
  Andrej

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#937009: [Python-apps-team] Bug#937009: mercurial: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye

Sandro Tosi-6
In reply to this post by Julien Cristau-6
Hello Julien,

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:33 PM Julien Cristau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Before switching in sid I'd want to:
> - be able to use the python3 version myself
> - give extensions some time to figure out their own switch
> - ideally not regress significant functionality; e.g. python-subversion
>   is still not available for python3
>
> I don't know what that means in terms of timeframe, it may or may not
> happen in time for bullseye, but I'm also not in a rush and I'd rather
> not break stuff by switching too early.

I see that python3-enabled mercurial has been in experimental for a 3
weeks now, how's it going? it would greatly help progress with the
overall py2removal effort if we could start planning to upload that
mercurial release to sid.

Can you share with us your plans here?

I understand and agree (in general) with your desire to now break
anything, but we're also at the tail end of the py2removal process, so
we are at a point where something may be broken, for some period of
time.

Thanks,
--
Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
Me at Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/SandroTosi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sandrotosi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#937009: [Python-apps-team] Bug#937009: mercurial: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye

Julien Cristau-6
On Thu, Apr  9, 2020 at 01:17:06 -0400, Sandro Tosi wrote:

> Hello Julien,
>
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:33 PM Julien Cristau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Before switching in sid I'd want to:
> > - be able to use the python3 version myself
> > - give extensions some time to figure out their own switch
> > - ideally not regress significant functionality; e.g. python-subversion
> >   is still not available for python3
> >
> > I don't know what that means in terms of timeframe, it may or may not
> > happen in time for bullseye, but I'm also not in a rush and I'd rather
> > not break stuff by switching too early.
>
> I see that python3-enabled mercurial has been in experimental for a 3
> weeks now, how's it going? it would greatly help progress with the
> overall py2removal effort if we could start planning to upload that
> mercurial release to sid.
>
> Can you share with us your plans here?
>
Still need to coordinate with packaged extensions.

Cheers,
Julien