Bug#960503: xfonts-terminus: 50-enable-terminus.conf missing, fonts are not enabled

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#960503: xfonts-terminus: 50-enable-terminus.conf missing, fonts are not enabled

Jochen Sprickerhof-5
Package: xfonts-terminus
Version: 4.48-2
Severity: grave
Justification: renders package unusable

Hi,

the new version lacks the 50-enable-terminus.conf, meaning the fonts are
not usable anymore. Please either add a dependency to fonts-terminus-otb
(as long as you don't apply #960502) or create the file(s) again.

Cheers Jochen

-- System Information:
Debian Release: bullseye/sid
  APT prefers unstable
  APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)
Foreign Architectures: i386

Kernel: Linux 5.6.0-1-amd64 (SMP w/8 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE=de_DE.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled

Versions of packages xfonts-terminus depends on:
ii  xfonts-utils  1:7.7+6

xfonts-terminus recommends no packages.

Versions of packages xfonts-terminus suggests:
pn  xfonts-terminus-oblique  <none>
pn  xserver | xfs            <none>

-- no debconf information

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#960503: xfonts-terminus: 50-enable-terminus.conf missing, fonts are not enabled

Anton Zinoviev
severity 960503 normal
retitle 960503 After upgrade from 1.40 fonts are no longer enabled
thanks

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 01:16:32PM +0200, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:
> Severity: grave
> Justification: renders package unusable

Well, the package is not unusable.  It is usable by all X programs which
do not rely on fontconfig.

On the other hand, programs which rely on fontconfig should probably use
the fonts in fonts-terminus-otb instead of the fonts in this package.  
Practically, this means that most users should install
fonts-terminus-otb instead xfonts-terminus.

> the new version lacks the 50-enable-terminus.conf, meaning the fonts are
> not usable anymore. Please either add a dependency to fonts-terminus-otb
> (as long as you don't apply #960502) or create the file(s) again.

Returning 50-enable-terminus.conf to xfonts-terminus is not good because
programs relying on fontconfig should use fonts-terminus-otb instead.  
(If a program is based on GTK it is unable to use PCF fonts no matter
how we configure fontconfig).

Dependency on fonts-terminus-otb is not good because programs which are
able to use the fonts of xfonts-terminus don't need the fonts in
fonts-terminus-otb.

And yes, I am considering applying the patch (or a similar one) in #960502.

I don't like the fact that after upgrade the Terminus fonts are not
enabled.  But I am not sure what is the proper fix for this.  One
possible course of action would be to:

1. rename xfonts-terminus => xfonts-terminus-pcf
2. create an empty package xfonts-terminus depending on both
   xfonts-terminus-pcf and fonts-terminus-otb

But isn't this an overkill?

Anton Zinoviev

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#960503: xfonts-terminus: 50-enable-terminus.conf missing, fonts are not enabled

Jochen Sprickerhof-5
Hi Anton,

* Anton Zinoviev <[hidden email]> [2020-05-13 15:16]:
>Well, the package is not unusable.  It is usable by all X programs which
>do not rely on fontconfig.

I agree.

>On the other hand, programs which rely on fontconfig should probably use
>the fonts in fonts-terminus-otb instead of the fonts in this package.
>Practically, this means that most users should install
>fonts-terminus-otb instead xfonts-terminus.

I'm ok with that, except I found that I had to adopt the width of the
otb version by 0.85 to resemble the one of the pcf. Specifically I
compared Terminus:pixelsize=14 to ter-u14n_iso-8859-1.pcf.gz in the
suckless terminal st, setting cwscale=0.85 in the config. Is the
different width on purpose?

>I don't like the fact that after upgrade the Terminus fonts are not
>enabled.  But I am not sure what is the proper fix for this.  One
>possible course of action would be to:
>
>1. rename xfonts-terminus => xfonts-terminus-pcf
>2. create an empty package xfonts-terminus depending on both
>   xfonts-terminus-pcf and fonts-terminus-otb
>
>But isn't this an overkill?

I agree, maybe add a Recommends: fonts-terminus-otb so people upgrading
from xfonts-terminus still have a working setup?

Cheers Jochen

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#960503: xfonts-terminus: 50-enable-terminus.conf missing, fonts are not enabled

Anton Zinoviev
On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 06:15:28PM +0200, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:
>
> I'm ok with that, except I found that I had to adopt the width of the otb
> version by 0.85 to resemble the one of the pcf. Specifically I compared
> Terminus:pixelsize=14 to ter-u14n_iso-8859-1.pcf.gz in the suckless terminal
> st, setting cwscale=0.85 in the config. Is the different width on purpose?

I can not reproduce this.  First I tried

static char *font = "Terminus:pixelsize=14";

Then I tried

static char *font = "-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--14-140-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1";

In both case the st window is indentical and uses the font I requested.  
In the second case, however, st prints twice the message "font weight
does not match".

Anton Zinoviev

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#960503: xfonts-terminus: 50-enable-terminus.conf missing, fonts are not enabled

Jochen Sprickerhof-5
* Anton Zinoviev <[hidden email]> [2020-05-14 23:21]:

>On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 06:15:28PM +0200, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:
>>
>> I'm ok with that, except I found that I had to adopt the width of the otb
>> version by 0.85 to resemble the one of the pcf. Specifically I compared
>> Terminus:pixelsize=14 to ter-u14n_iso-8859-1.pcf.gz in the suckless terminal
>> st, setting cwscale=0.85 in the config. Is the different width on purpose?
>
>I can not reproduce this.  First I tried
>
>static char *font = "Terminus:pixelsize=14";
>
>Then I tried
>
>static char *font = "-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--14-140-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1";
>
>In both case the st window is indentical and uses the font I requested.
>In the second case, however, st prints twice the message "font weight
>does not match".
Did you try it without xfonts-terminus installed (to not run into
#960502)?
I just reproduced it in a fresh installed Debian testing Qemu:

Install using latest Bullseye Debian installer (with LxDE)
$ sudo apt build-dep stterm
$ sudo apt install fonts-terminus-otb
$ apt source stterm
$ cd stterm*
$ sed -i 's/Liberation Mono:pixelsize=12:antialias=true:autohint=true/Terminus:pixelsize=14/' config.def.h
$ make
$ ./st

$ sudo apt install xfonts-terminus
$ ./st

I've attached a screenshot of both terminals, you can see the different
font width is reflected in the terminal width as well.

Cheers Jochen

terminus.png (19K) Download Attachment
signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#960503: xfonts-terminus: 50-enable-terminus.conf missing, fonts are not enabled

Anton Zinoviev
On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 11:22:20PM +0200, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:
>
> Did you try it without xfonts-terminus installed (to not run into
> #960502)?

No, I didn't.  :)

Ok, now i managed to reproduce the bug.  I made some tests also with
mate-terminal.  It always seems to prefer the otb fonts and always
displays them differently than st.  No matter what font size I select,
the ratio width/height is always larger in st and smaller in
mate-terminal.  Also, in mate-terminal font size 14 corresponds to
approximately 20 in st.  I suppose that mate-terminal takes into account
that my monitor has slightly larger dpi than the normal monitors.

Anton Zinoviev

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bug#960503: xfonts-terminus: 50-enable-terminus.conf missing, fonts are not enabled

Emanuele Rocca
In reply to this post by Anton Zinoviev
Hi Anton,

On 13/05 03:16, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 01:16:32PM +0200, Jochen Sprickerhof wrote:
> > Severity: grave
> > Justification: renders package unusable
>
> Well, the package is not unusable.  It is usable by all X programs which
> do not rely on fontconfig.

It might still be usable, but the upgrade does break things for people
who only have xfonts-terminus installed.

> On the other hand, programs which rely on fontconfig should probably use
> the fonts in fonts-terminus-otb instead of the fonts in this package.  
> Practically, this means that most users should install
> fonts-terminus-otb instead xfonts-terminus.

I think this should be explicitly communicated to users via NEWS.Debian.