Buster Mate: how to set default user nae

Buster Mate: how to set default user nae

Tom Browder
In an older version of debian (7 or so) I had my system set so the login screen would show my user name as the default.

That went away after some version upgrade or reinstall and I've silently grumbled about it ever since (especially when I inadvertently flash part of my password as my muscle memory has me entering it in the blank user name slot!).

I have tried searching for the solution but so far have found nothing.

I have also tried "find ~/.config -exec grep -i user {} \; -print " and found nothing that seemed worth a deeper look.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: Buster Mate: how to set default user nae

andreimpopescu
On Sb, 10 aug 19, 09:52:48, Tom Browder wrote:

> I have tried searching for the solution but so far have found nothing.

The solution (if any) will probably depend a lot on the display manager
used.

Kind regards,
Andrei

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 10:00 Andrei POPESCU <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sb, 10 aug 19, 09:52:48, Tom Browder wrote:

> I have tried searching for the solution but so far have found nothing.

Okay, good point. I'll try that route...

Thanks.

-Tom

Re: Buster Mate: how to set default user nae

Peter Ehlert-2

On 8/10/19 7:52 AM, Tom Browder wrote:

> In an older version of debian (7 or so) I had my system set so the
> login screen would show my user name as the default.
>
> That went away after some version upgrade or reinstall and I've
> silently grumbled about it ever since (especially when I inadvertently
> flash part of my password as my muscle memory has me entering it in
> the blank user name slot!).
>
> I have tried searching for the solution but so far have found nothing.
>
> I have also tried "find ~/.config -exec grep -i user {} \; -print "
> and found nothing that seemed worth a deeper look.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -Tom

you can edit lightdm.conf/lightdm.conf

below this header
#
[Seat:*]

find these lines

# autologin-user=
# autologin-user-timeout=0

uncomment the first and add the user name

uncomment the second line if you want autologin (no password)

Re: Buster Mate: how to set default user nae

Tixy-2
On Sat, 2019-08-10 at 11:28 -0700, Peter Ehlert wrote:

> On 8/10/19 7:52 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> > In an older version of debian (7 or so) I had my system set so the
> > login screen would show my user name as the default.
> >
> > That went away after some version upgrade or reinstall and I've
> > silently grumbled about it ever since (especially when I inadvertently
> > flash part of my password as my muscle memory has me entering it in
> > the blank user name slot!).
> >
> > I have tried searching for the solution but so far have found nothing.
> >
> > I have also tried "find ~/.config -exec grep -i user {} \; -print "
> > and found nothing that seemed worth a deeper look.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > -Tom
>
> you can edit lightdm.conf/lightdm.conf

Do you mean /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf ?

> below this header
> #
> [Seat:*]
>
> find these lines
>
> # autologin-user=
> # autologin-user-timeout=0
>
> uncomment the first and add the user name
>
> uncomment the second line if you want autologin (no password)

Uncommenting that line won't change behaviour as the comments give what
the defaults are. If you set a value for autologin-user then that user
will be automatically logged in without asking for a password (this is
what I use). I believe setting autologin-user-timeout to a non-zero
value will delay that number of seconds giving the user chance to
cancel auto-login and select another user. I don't know if that matches
the behaviour Tom is looking for or if he always requires a password to
be entered.

Tixy

Re: Buster Mate: how to set default user nae

Étienne Mollier
Tixy, on 2019-08-10:
> On Sat, 2019-08-10 at 11:28 -0700, Peter Ehlert wrote:
> > On 8/10/19 7:52 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> > > In an older version of debian (7 or so) I had my system set so the
> > > login screen would show my user name as the default.
> > >
> > > That went away after some version upgrade or reinstall and I've
> > > silently grumbled about it ever since (especially when I inadvertently
> > > flash part of my password as my muscle memory has me entering it in
> > > the blank user name slot!).

Good day,

In Debian 7, Mate desktop was not yet officially available
IIRC, so the default greeter was most likely gdm3.  I see in
Debian 10 that Mate desktop depends on lightdm, which is
different greeter.  The default behaviour of lightdm is to hide
available user logins on the machine, in order to avoid leaking
this information in situations where the location of the machine
is untrusted.

> > you can edit lightdm.conf/lightdm.conf
> Do you mean /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf ?

Pointing to this file was the right direction.  However, on the
variables side, may I suggest to search for the character string
"greeter-hide-users" definition, uncomment it in place, and set
its value to "False"?

There is also something that has bitten my hand, as this was a
bit different in previous Debian releases.  In the new version
of the default configuration file, the "[Seat:*]" paragraph
header is commented, so just de-commenting the configuration
option is not efficient any more, you also have to put the header
back.  In the end, the paragraph might look like:

        # blablabla
        [Seat:*]
        # blblbl
        # [...]
        greeter-hide-users = False
        # blblbl

You may have to type in your login one last time, so that the
greeter knows which one(s) to print.

I hope this helps,
Kind regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]>
               5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54 2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d

On 8/10/19 12:12 PM, Tixy wrote:

> On Sat, 2019-08-10 at 11:28 -0700, Peter Ehlert wrote:
>> On 8/10/19 7:52 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
>>> In an older version of debian (7 or so) I had my system set so the
>>> login screen would show my user name as the default.
>>>
>>> That went away after some version upgrade or reinstall and I've
>>> silently grumbled about it ever since (especially when I inadvertently
>>> flash part of my password as my muscle memory has me entering it in
>>> the blank user name slot!).
>>>
>>> I have tried searching for the solution but so far have found nothing.
>>>
>>> I have also tried "find ~/.config -exec grep -i user {} \; -print "
>>> and found nothing that seemed worth a deeper look.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> -Tom
>> you can edit lightdm.conf/lightdm.conf
> Do you mean /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf ?
yes I did

>> below this header
>> #
>> [Seat:*]
>>
>> find these lines
>>
>> # autologin-user=
>> # autologin-user-timeout=0
>>
>> uncomment the first and add the user name
>>
>> uncomment the second line if you want autologin (no password)
> Uncommenting that line won't change behaviour as the comments give what
> the defaults are. If you set a value for autologin-user then that user
> will be automatically logged in without asking for a password (this is
> what I use). I believe setting autologin-user-timeout to a non-zero
> value will delay that number of seconds giving the user chance to
> cancel auto-login and select another user. I don't know if that matches
> the behaviour Tom is looking for or if he always requires a password to
> be entered.

correct, I also use autologin but only on single user systems.
forgot about setting the timeout, yes that works too.

Re: Buster Mate: how to set default user nae

Mindaugas Celiesius

> In an older version of debian (7 or so) I had my system set so the login screen would show my user name as the default.
>
> That went away after some version upgrade or reinstall and I've silently grumbled about it ever since (especially when I inadvertently flash part of my password as my muscle memory has me entering it in the blank user name slot!).
>
> I have tried searching for the solution but so far have found nothing.
>
> I have also tried "find ~/.config -exec grep -i user {} \; -print " and found nothing that seemed worth a deeper look.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -Tom

Hello. By default, LightDM is configured so that the user should enter login name and password. Login name is considered sensitive information. It is possible to provide the user with selection of available user accounts. The most recently used login name will be selected in the list. The user still has to enter password to login. This provides useful compromise between security and convenience for a single-user desktop system. To enable user list, place the following settings into /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_my.conf:

[Seat:*]
greeter-hide-users=false

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.

Re: Buster Mate: how to set default user nae

Tom Browder
On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 12:32 PM Mindaugas Celiesius
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In an older version of debian (7 or so) I had my system set so the login screen would show my user name as the default.
> Hello. By default, LightDM is configured so that the user should enter login name and password. Login name is considered sensitive information. It is possible to provide the user with selection of available user accounts. The most recently used login name will be selected in the list. The user still has to enter password to login. This provides useful compromise between security and convenience for a single-user desktop system. To enable user list, place the following settings into /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_my.conf:
>
> [Seat:*]
> greeter-hide-users=false

Great, that worked, thanks so much, Mindaugas!

A couple of points:

1. I had to restart the system, a mere logout didn't change anything.

2. The surprise is that it didn't actually show my user name, it
showed my real name. So security is a little better than showing my
user name; in fact, it seems better because, otherwise, folks in my
audience could see me type my user name!

Best regards,

-Tom