Can I bump the SONAME if upstream neglected to do so?

Can I bump the SONAME if upstream neglected to do so?

Timo Röhling-2
Hi,

I've recently looked into upgrading the Qhull library for the Debian
Science Team. The upstream SOVERSION remained unchanged (7), but
abi-compliance-checker says that the ABI is incompatible, and quite
seriously so. Clearly, I can't just release the SOVERSION unchanged, but
can I bump the SOVERSION for Debian, or do I have to wait for upstream
to release a fixed version?

Best regards
Timo

Re: Can I bump the SONAME if upstream neglected to do so?

Andrey Rahmatullin-3
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 02:36:15PM +0100, Timo Röhling wrote:
> I've recently looked into upgrading the Qhull library for the Debian
> Science Team. The upstream SOVERSION remained unchanged (7), but
> abi-compliance-checker says that the ABI is incompatible, and quite
> seriously so. Clearly, I can't just release the SOVERSION unchanged, but
> can I bump the SOVERSION for Debian, or do I have to wait for upstream
> to release a fixed version?
Have you tried to convince the upstream to bump the soname?
If you decide to bump it yourself you should use a value that won't be
reused by the upstream.

--
WBR, wRAR