Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming-5
Good afternoon from Singapore,

Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi? When I am downloading Debian ISOs,
do I choose the arm64 architecture?

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you.

-----BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019 and refugee seeking attempts at the
United Nations Refugee Agency Bangkok (21 Mar 2017), in Taiwan (5 Aug
2019) and Australia (25 Dec 2019 to 9 Jan 2020):

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Ma, 14 apr 20, 16:47:43, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Good afternoon from Singapore,
>
> Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi? When I am downloading Debian ISOs, do
> I choose the arm64 architecture?

Depends on the model.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming-5
How about the latest Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4 GB?

--
-----BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019 and refugee seeking attempts at the
United Nations Refugee Agency Bangkok (21 Mar 2017), in Taiwan (5 Aug
2019) and Australia (25 Dec 2019 to 9 Jan 2020):

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Jonathan Dowland-5
On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 05:03:46PM +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
>How about the latest Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4 GB?

I would refer you to this page to get the latest status:
<https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi>
For the Pi 4, it claims "There is no support for it in the Debian
kernels yet."

According to this blog
<https://david.wragg.org/blog/2020/01/installing-64-bit-debian-on-rpi.html>
It's possible if you use a kernel from outside Debian, provided by the
Raspberry Pi foundation. But I would suggest this was not a
beginner-level project.

--
👱🏻 Jonathan Dowland
🔗 https://jmtd.net

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming-5
Noted with thanks.

On 2020-04-14 17:13, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 05:03:46PM +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En
> Ming wrote:
>> How about the latest Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4 GB?
>
> I would refer you to this page to get the latest status:
> <https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi>
> For the Pi 4, it claims "There is no support for it in the Debian
> kernels yet."
>
> According to this blog
> <https://david.wragg.org/blog/2020/01/installing-64-bit-debian-on-rpi.html>
> It's possible if you use a kernel from outside Debian, provided by the
> Raspberry Pi foundation. But I would suggest this was not a
> beginner-level project.

-----BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019 and refugee seeking attempts at the
United Nations Refugee Agency Bangkok (21 Mar 2017), in Taiwan (5 Aug
2019) and Australia (25 Dec 2019 to 9 Jan 2020):

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Rick Thomas-15
Pure Debian, as noted, does not have the kernel tweaks to take full advantage of the R...pi4B hardware.  However, I have found that Raspbian is "close enough" to pure Debian that I can easily exercise all by Debian skills on it with almost no surprises.   It's a nice little box!

Hope that helps!
Rick

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming-5
I will check out Raspbian. Thank you!

--
-----BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019 and refugee seeking attempts at the
United Nations Refugee Agency Bangkok (21 Mar 2017), in Taiwan (5 Aug
2019) and Australia (25 Dec 2019 to 9 Jan 2020):

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Vincent Lammens
Op 2020-04-14 om 13:11 schreef Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming:

> I will check out Raspbian. Thank you!
>
> On 2020-04-14 17:52, Rick Thomas wrote:
>> Pure Debian, as noted, does not have the kernel tweaks to take full
>> advantage of the R...pi4B hardware.  However, I have found that
>> Raspbian is "close enough" to pure Debian that I can easily exercise
>> all by Debian skills on it with almost no surprises.   It's a nice
>> little box!
>>
>> Hope that helps!
>> Rick

Something that does work, is using raspbian, and then using a debian
docker container. Not exactly where docker is made for, but it does work
for me.

--
Regards

Vincent Lammens
http://vincentlammens.net

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

deloptes-2
Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:

> gmane.linux.debian.user
> Good afternoon from Singapore,
>
> Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi? When I am downloading Debian ISOs,
> do I choose the arm64 architecture?
>
> I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.
>
> Thank you.

I booted in raspbian and debootstrapped debian armhf.
I did copy the boot and kernel from raspbian and it works fine.

I was going to do the same for amd64, but did not have the time. It seems
then you need the kernel8

regards

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming-5
I am still not very clear what a docker is. Maybe I will be very sure
when I have tried it.

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming-5
What is debootstrap?

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

On Mi, 15 apr 20, 16:21:19, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> What is debootstrap?

https://packages.debian.org/buster/debootstrap
https://manpages.debian.org/buster/debootstrap/debootstrap.8.en.html

Such questions are usually quickly answered by your favorite search
engine ;)

Kind regards,
Andrei

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Tixy-2
On Wed, 2020-04-15 at 16:21 +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
wrote:
> What is debootstrap?

Why don't you put 'debootstrap' into your favourite web search engine?

--
Tixy

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:52:01AM +0100, Tixy wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-04-15 at 16:21 +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
> wrote:
> > What is debootstrap?
>
> Why don't you put 'debootstrap' into your favourite web search engine?

Heck, there's even a Wikipedia page on that:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debootstrap

cheers
-- t

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Anastasios Lisgaras
On 4/14/20 12:13 PM, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> I would refer you to this page to get the latest status:
> <https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi>
> For the Pi 4, it claims "There is no support for it in the Debian
> kernels yet."
>
> According to this blog
> <https://david.wragg.org/blog/2020/01/installing-64-bit-debian-on-rpi.html>
> It's possible if you use a kernel from outside Debian, provided by the
> Raspberry Pi foundation. But I would suggest this was not a
> beginner-level project.

Very interest! Thank you! :-)

--
Kind regards,
Tasos

[hidden email] wrote:

> Heck, there's even a Wikipedia page on that:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debootstrap

I take it as compliment for the list - the list is even better than
google :)

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

007@caiway.net
On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:13:58 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> According to this blog
> <https://david.wragg.org/blog/2020/01/installing-64-bit-debian-on-rpi.html>
> It's possible if you use a kernel from outside Debian, provided by the
> Raspberry Pi foundation. But I would suggest this was not a
> beginner-level project.

Tomorrow I'll give it a try, but I'll be using an USB3 stick for the
Debian part, not an extra partition on the micro SD card as described in
the blog.

The Raspbian testing 64-bit kernel is running OK.

Thanks Jonathan!

Re: Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2020 14 Apr 03:55 -0500, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Good afternoon from Singapore,
>
> Can I install Debian on Raspberry Pi?

To some extent, yes.  There was a thread last month about running Debian
on the Pi on the Debian ARM list:

        https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2020/03/msg00000.html

More list info:

        https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/

- Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

On 2020-04-15 18:46, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 15 apr 20, 16:21:19, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
>> What is debootstrap?
>
> https://packages.debian.org/buster/debootstrap
> https://manpages.debian.org/buster/debootstrap/debootstrap.8.en.html
>
> Such questions are usually quickly answered by your favorite search
> engine ;)
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

OK.

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

On 2020-04-15 18:53, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 11:52:01AM +0100, Tixy wrote:
>> On Wed, 2020-04-15 at 16:21 +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
>> wrote:
>> > What is debootstrap?
>>
>> Why don't you put 'debootstrap' into your favourite web search engine?
>
> Heck, there's even a Wikipedia page on that:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debootstrap
>
> cheers
> -- t

Isn't it better to install Debian in a virtual machine rather than using
debootstrap?

-----BEGIN EMAIL SIGNATURE-----

The Gospel for all Targeted Individuals (TIs):

[The New York Times] Microwave Weapons Are Prime Suspect in Ills of
U.S. Embassy Workers

Link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/01/science/sonic-attack-cuba-microwave.html

Singaporean Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming's Academic
Qualifications as at 14 Feb 2019 and refugee seeking attempts at the
United Nations Refugee Agency Bangkok (21 Mar 2017), in Taiwan (5 Aug
2019) and Australia (25 Dec 2019 to 9 Jan 2020):

[1] https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com/

[2] https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.sg/

[3] https://www.scribd.com/user/270125049/Teo-En-Ming

-----END EMAIL SIGNATURE-----