Can any setting be changed after an "install Buster from scratch"-procedure?

Can any setting be changed after an "install Buster from scratch"-procedure?

Erik Josefsson
Hello,

I followed Ken's thread about date format in Thunderbird:

and ended up reading about Dot files:

https://wiki.debian.org/DotFiles

This was very helpful for me, because I think I can now ask the right
question:

Can every setting made with an "install Buster from scratch"-procedure
(like the one for [Teres-I DIY laptop] available at box.redpill.dk) be
changed after the install procedure is completed?

I mean, can some settings be "hard-coded" by an install procedure?

Or in other words, which settings need to be set correctly during install?

The reason I ask is that, for me, every install from scratch is quite
time consuming and makes it very hard to check mail and do other basic
stuff while installing, so if everything can be tinkered with after an
install, I can probably find out how I want my laptop to be set up
without an Ethernet connection (which I happen to need for the install
procedure).

Maybe my my question doesn't make sense, but for me it does, because I
have now managed to install a fresh new Teres-I image that is available
at box.redpill.dk, with a result that I hope I "fix", i.e. tinker with
further to make it into a Swedish laptop.

This is my sequence of commands that brought me here:

1.Prepare image on SD card (done on another fully functional machine):
1.1.  wget http://box.redpill.dk/nonfree/nonfree-teres1-buster-1.0rc2.img.gz
1.2.  gunzip nonfree-teres1-buster-1.0rc2.img.gz
1.3.  sudo cp nonfree-teres1-buster-1.0rc2.img /dev/sda
2. Move SD card to Teres-I, connect ethernet-via-USB-cable, turn on
machine and follow instructions on screen:
2.1.  sudo box-finalize
2.1.1.  Dialog
2.1.2.  high
2.1.2.  install language support - yes
2.1.2.  Select default language code (none to skip) - none
2.2.  sudo apt update
2.3.  sudo box-add-gui
2.4.  sudo shutdown -h now

I think that is pretty neat! (thank you Jonas!)

I have then started Teres-I again with network via tethering via USB
turned on from a Galaxy III GT-i9300 mobile phone running LineageOS.
Somehow Teres-I gets network early enough in the boot process to later
do the following flawlessly:

sudo apt install aptitude
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade
sudo aptitude autoclean
sudo aptitude install gedit
man gedit

To me it now looks like I have a fully functional laptop, but as I wrote
above, I need to tinker with it to get it to behave like it is a Swedish
laptop.

The most wonderful thing is that it looks as if I could do this with
tethering via USB (with which my DNS-issues seems gone!).

Thanks for helping out!

Best regards.

//Erik

[Teres-I DIY laptop] https://www.olimex.com/Products/DIY-Laptop/

Re: Can any setting be changed after an "install Buster from scratch"-procedure?

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Sat, Jun 08, 2019 at 07:57:15PM +0200, Erik Josefsson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I followed Ken's thread about date format in Thunderbird:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/06/msg00133.html
>
> and ended up reading about Dot files:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DotFiles
>
> This was very helpful for me, because I think I can now ask the
> right question:
>
> Can every setting made with an "install Buster from
> scratch"-procedure (like the one for [Teres-I DIY laptop] available
> at box.redpill.dk) be changed after the install procedure is
> completed?
[...]

If I got right what you want, dpkg-reconfigure is your friend:
locate the package(s) to which the setting belongs which you
want to change, and then call dpkg-reconfigure <packagename>.

You'll be asked the same questions you were asked at install
time.

You can also give dpkg-reconfigure a (space separated) list of
packages, do do several in a bunch.

Cheers
-- t

Re: Can any setting be changed after an "install Buster from scratch"-procedure?

Jochen Spieker
Erik Josefsson:

> Can every setting made with an "install Buster from scratch"-procedure (like
> the one for [Teres-I DIY laptop] available at box.redpill.dk) be changed
> after the install procedure is completed?
>
> I mean, can some settings be "hard-coded" by an install procedure?
>
> Or in other words, which settings need to be set correctly during install?

I didn't bother to look up the howto you mention, but everything that
you decide during a Debian installation (however it is done) can be
changed afterwards.  Changing the partition layout can be quite tricky
(and might require another hard disk temporarily), but other that that
you will find most of the settings in /etc.

> This is my sequence of commands that brought me here:
>
> 1.Prepare image on SD card (done on another fully functional machine):
> 1.1.  wget http://box.redpill.dk/nonfree/nonfree-teres1-buster-1.0rc2.img.gz
> 1.2.  gunzip nonfree-teres1-buster-1.0rc2.img.gz
> 1.3.  sudo cp nonfree-teres1-buster-1.0rc2.img /dev/sda
> 2. Move SD card to Teres-I, connect ethernet-via-USB-cable, turn on machine
> and follow instructions on screen:
> 2.1.  sudo box-finalize
> 2.1.1.  Dialog
> 2.1.2.  high
> 2.1.2.  install language support - yes
> 2.1.2.  Select default language code (none to skip) - none
If you want Swedish, why not select it here?

> To me it now looks like I have a fully functional laptop, but as I wrote
> above, I need to tinker with it to get it to behave like it is a Swedish
> laptop.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

Check sv_SE.UTF-8 (using the space bar) in addition to the already
selected locales, press Tab to highlight "Ok" and press Enter to
confirm.

For your user session I recommend
https://wiki.debian.org/ChangeLanguage. Do not change the whole system's
language. This would make it harder for you to search the web and debug
error messages.

J.
--
I can tell a Whopper™ from a BigMac™ and Coke™ from Pepsi™.
[Agree]   [Disagree]