Can't Get Exim4 Setup Right

Thomas George
It seems simple but it doesn't work.  I have two mailboxes:
[hidden email] and [hidden email] and a Verizion DSL
connection.  With Mozilla I can set the outgoing smtp connection as
outgoing .verizon.net and send messages back and forth between the two
mailboxes.  Normally I download the debian-user messages to
[hidden email] with Fetchmail and read them with Mutt nicely
strung together. I want to send messages or reply to messages from
Mutt.  With  dpkg-reconfigure exim4-configure I have:

    Chosen not to split the configuration file
    Chosen mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail
    Set my mail name to tomgeorge.info
    Set IP address to listen to to 127.0.0.1
    Left blank the field for which this machine should consider itself
the final destination, apart from the local host name (Dragon.Zoo) and
"localhost"
    Left blank the field for the networks of local machines for which
you accept to relay mail
    Entered outgoing.verizon.net as the smarthost
    Chose not to hide the local name for outgoing mail
    Did not limit the number of DNS-queries.

With this setup I can apparently send mail from Mutt (it says sent) but
if I try to test this by sending an email to [hidden email] if
never arrives.  There is no error message, no returned mail just a
confirmation from Mutt that the mail was sent but a Mozilla check for
[hidden email] finds nothing.

Obviously I can send this message with Mozilla as originating from
[hidden email] so I have a means to post messages to the
debian-user list.  The problem is just that if I download and read the
messages from the debian-user list with fetchmail and mutt I have no way
to respond to them from mutt to preserve the threading by subject.
There must be sonething obvious that I have overlooked but I just don't
see it.

Tom George

Re: Can't Get Exim4 Setup Right

Andrei Popescu
On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:47:44 -0500
"Thomas H. George" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems simple but it doesn't work.  I have two mailboxes:
> [hidden email] and [hidden email] and a Verizion DSL
> connection.  With Mozilla I can set the outgoing smtp connection as
> outgoing .verizon.net and send messages back and forth between the two
> mailboxes.  Normally I download the debian-user messages to
> [hidden email] with Fetchmail and read them with Mutt nicely
> strung together. I want to send messages or reply to messages from
> Mutt.  With  dpkg-reconfigure exim4-configure I have:
>
>     Chosen not to split the configuration file
>     Chosen mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail
>     Set my mail name to tomgeorge.info
>     Set IP address to listen to to 127.0.0.1
>     Left blank the field for which this machine should consider itself
> the final destination, apart from the local host name (Dragon.Zoo) and
> "localhost"
>     Left blank the field for the networks of local machines for which
> you accept to relay mail
>     Entered outgoing.verizon.net as the smarthost
>     Chose not to hide the local name for outgoing mail
>     Did not limit the number of DNS-queries.
>
> With this setup I can apparently send mail from Mutt (it says sent) but
> if I try to test this by sending an email to [hidden email] if
> never arrives.  There is no error message, no returned mail just a
> confirmation from Mutt that the mail was sent but a Mozilla check for
> [hidden email] finds nothing.
>
> Obviously I can send this message with Mozilla as originating from
> [hidden email] so I have a means to post messages to the
> debian-user list.  The problem is just that if I download and read the
> messages from the debian-user list with fetchmail and mutt I have no way
> to respond to them from mutt to preserve the threading by subject.
> There must be sonething obvious that I have overlooked but I just don't
> see it.
>
> Tom George

what does exim4's log say? Run this

        #tail /var/mail/exim4/mainlog

right after you send a test message from mutt

Andrei

--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)

[...]

Andrei wrote:

    Try #tail /var/log/exim4/mainlog immediately after trying to send a
message from Mutt.

I did and found "host outgoing.verizon.net ... Authentication
Required."  I edited /etc/exim4/passwd.client and added a line
outgoing.verizion.net:name:password using, of course, the account name
and password.  This did not work.  I also tried changing outgoing to
mail but this too did not work.

Note: This will probably appear as a re-posting as I can only post
messages from Mozilla until I solve this problem.

Tom

Re: Can't Get Exim4 Setup Right

Sridhar M.A.
On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:53:45AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:

   > Andrei wrote:
   >
   >    Try #tail /var/log/exim4/mainlog immediately after trying to send a
   > message from Mutt.
   >
   > I did and found "host outgoing.verizon.net ... Authentication
   > Required."  I edited /etc/exim4/passwd.client and added a line
   > outgoing.verizion.net:name:password using, of course, the account name
   > and password.  This did not work.  I also tried changing outgoing to
   > mail but this too did not work.

I too faced the same problem with exim4 setup. The passwd client seems
to be debian specific. But it did not work. Just went ahead and edited
/etc/exim4/conf.d/auth/30_exim4-config_examples to include the login id
and password. Just including below the relevanty section:

plain:
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = PLAIN
  client_send = ^[hidden email]^secret
#.ifndef AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS
#  client_send = "${if !eq{$tls_cipher}{}{\
#                    ^${extract{1}{::}\
#                      {${lookup{$host}lsearch*{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}\
#                    ^${extract{2}{::}\
#                      {${lookup{$host}lsearch*{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}\
#                  }fail}"
#.else
#  client_send = "^${extract{1}{::}{${lookup{$host}lsearch*{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}^${extract{2}{::}{${lookup{$host}lsearch*{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}"
#.endif

Note that I have commented out the debian additions. It worked.

HTH,

Sridhar M.A.                                 GPG KeyID : F6A35935
  Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5  55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

BOFH excuse #295:

The Token fell out of the ring. Call us when you find it.