Cannot enable Emulate3Buttons in stretch

Cannot enable Emulate3Buttons in stretch

Neoklis Kyriazis
Hi

I have installed (for the first time) Debian Testing (stretch) on my
laptop and tried to enable Emulate3Buttons for my 2-button Kensington
trackball. I tried a lot of solutions I found by searching but none
seems to work. I have the same problem on my desktop computer, after
upgrading my existing installation of Void Linux. The emulation used
to work before the upgrade, which I beleive installed the latest
version of X.org server.

I could not get any help on the Void Linux forums and this is why I

installed Debian on the laptop - but no luck. Its obvious that the new
version of Xorg either does not recognize the relevant options for
setting up Emulate3Buttons or perhaps support for this is disabled by
default.

I really need 3rd button emulation, so will be greatful for any tips.

My thanks in advance!

 --
Best Regards
Neoklis - Ham Radio Call:5B4AZ
http://www.5b4az.org/

Re: Cannot enable Emulate3Buttons in stretch

Christian Seiler
On 04/13/2017 05:56 PM, Neoklis Kyriazis wrote:

> I have installed (for the first time) Debian Testing (stretch) on my
> laptop and tried to enable Emulate3Buttons for my 2-button Kensington
> trackball. I tried a lot of solutions I found by searching but none
> seems to work. I have the same problem on my desktop computer, after
> upgrading my existing installation of Void Linux. The emulation used
> to work before the upgrade, which I beleive installed the latest
> version of X.org server.
>

> I could not get any help on the Void Linux forums and this is why I
>
> installed Debian on the laptop - but no luck. Its obvious that the new
> version of Xorg either does not recognize the relevant options for
> setting up Emulate3Buttons or perhaps support for this is disabled by
> default.

Debian Stretch uses libinput for handling input by default, even
on Xorg, instead of the default evdev driver that was used
previously. The option for the middle mouse button emulation
is disabled.

Create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/41-middle-emulation.conf with
the following contents:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "mouse"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "MiddleEmulation" "on"
EndSection

Restart your X server (i.e. logout and login again) and it
should work.

Regards,
Christian

On 04/13/2017 06:36 PM, Christian Seiler wrote:
> Debian Stretch uses libinput for handling input by default, even
> on Xorg, instead of the default evdev driver that was used
> previously. The option for the middle mouse button emulation
> is disabled.

Err, I meant "renamed", not "disabled", sorry. The advice for
fixing it still stands though. :)

Since this change in the default driver selection for Xorg is
something that many people might not expect, I've also reported
a bug against Debian's release notes so that when Stretch is
released people don't face the same surprise you did:

Christian

From: Christian Seiler <[hidden email]>

<snip>

>Create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/41-middle-emulation.conf with
>the following contents:
>
>Section "InputClass"
>        Identifier "mouse"
>        MatchIsPointer "on"
>        Driver "libinput"
>        Option "MiddleEmulation" "on"
>EndSection
>
>Restart your X server (i.e. logout and login again) and it
>should work.

Christian

Thanks very much for the tip - it worked! (in Void Linux, no doubt
will work in Debian too). I thought it was something of this sort
but I just could not find anything by searching.

Now I will post another strange problem I am having in stretch ;-)