Chinese input in Debian

rocky Ou-2
Hey,

I just did KNOPPIX 4.0.2 HD installation. anyone can tell me how can I set up
chinese input under debian?

Thanks a lot!

Rocky

Try fctix, check the faq in www.fcitx.org.

Re: Chinese input in Debian

6659907
On 2/26/06, Jifeng ZHANG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hey,
> >
> > I just did KNOPPIX 4.0.2 HD installation. anyone can tell me how can I set
> up
> > chinese input under debian?
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> >
> > Rocky
> >

> > --
> >

> Try fctix, check the faq in www.fcitx.org.

KNOPPIX 里好安装软件吗?

Re: Chinese input in Debian

Jifeng ZHANG
应该可以使用aptitude来管理软件包库

On 2/26/06, Jifeng ZHANG <[hidden email] > wrote:

> > Hey,
> >
> > I just did KNOPPIX 4.0.2 HD installation. anyone can tell me how can I set
> up
> > chinese input under debian?
> >
> > Thanks a lot!
> >
> > Rocky
> >

> > --
> >

> Try fctix, check the faq in www.fcitx.org.

KNOPPIX 里好安装软件吗?

Re: Chinese input in Debian

ze phyr
On 05:05 Sun 26 Feb 2006, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hey,
> I just did KNOPPIX 4.0.2 HD installation. anyone can tell me how can I set up
> chinese input under debian?
Simple. Just use Debian's sources (I recommend sid since the input method's
version is newer). Then find pkg scim* and install them depending which
specific input method you choose.

After that, configure you locale to anything UTF-8 and export these
environment settings to the system:

#------Scim Settings---------#
GTK_IM_MODULE="xim" ; export GTK_IM_MODULE
QT_IM_MODULE="xim" ; export QT_IM_MODULE
export XIM=SCIM
export XIM_PROGRAM=SCIM
export QT_IM_MODULE="xim"
export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
scim -f x11 -d&
#------Scim Settings---------#

Then launch scim under the same setting. You will be able to input Chinese.

If you want a system wide setting, just put the lines quoted above in a
script under /etc/X11/Xsession.d/.

This enables scim to start automatically with X.

By the way, you can also try fcitx whose settings are similar to those listed
above just subsitute scim with fcitx.

Good luck and happy using Chinese.

--
regards
phyrster

Nobody ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the bright side of something.

Re: Chinese input in Debian

xiao zhili
2006/3/1, phyrster <[hidden email]>:

> On 05:05 Sun 26 Feb 2006, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hey,
> > I just did KNOPPIX 4.0.2 HD installation. anyone can tell me how can I set up
> > chinese input under debian?
> Simple. Just use Debian's sources (I recommend sid since the input method's
> version is newer). Then find pkg scim* and install them depending which
> specific input method you choose.
>
> After that, configure you locale to anything UTF-8 and export these
> environment settings to the system:
>

> #------Scim Settings---------#
> GTK_IM_MODULE="xim" ; export GTK_IM_MODULE
> QT_IM_MODULE="xim" ; export QT_IM_MODULE
> export XIM=SCIM
> export XIM_PROGRAM=SCIM
> export QT_IM_MODULE="xim"
Could you tell me why you double export GTK_IM_MODULE and QT_IM_MODULE?

> export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> scim -f x11 -d&
> #------Scim Settings---------#
>
> Then launch scim under the same setting. You will be able to input Chinese.
>
> If you want a system wide setting, just put the lines quoted above in a
> script under /etc/X11/Xsession.d/.
>
> This enables scim to start automatically with X.
>
> By the way, you can also try fcitx whose settings are similar to those listed
> above just subsitute scim with fcitx.
>

> Good luck and happy using Chinese.
>
> --
> regards
> phyrster
>
> Nobody ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the bright side of something.

Best regards,
Tom Xiao
------
Linux Newbee, Thanks for helping me!

Re: Chinese input in Debian

ze phyr
On 14:37 Thu 02 Mar 2006, xiao zhili wrote:
> > #------Scim Settings---------#
> > GTK_IM_MODULE="xim" ; export GTK_IM_MODULE
> > QT_IM_MODULE="xim" ; export QT_IM_MODULE
> > export XIM=SCIM
> > export XIM_PROGRAM=SCIM
> > export QT_IM_MODULE="xim"

> Could you tell me why you double export GTK_IM_MODULE and QT_IM_MODULE?

It could be simplied. I got this setting from SCIM's site and I didn't bother
to modify it.

It is not a double exporting. It sets xim for both GTK and QT programs
although rumors say that QT export is actually not effective in Debian.

--
regards
phyrster

        Work Hard.