Cloning methods

Nagy Daniel
Hi, again :) :S

What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
open-source software alternateive for it :P]
I mean cloning like in norton ghost, a program that could "leave" bad
blocks behind, when cloning, and not making a 10 GByte output file
[like the partition size is], but just a eg.: a 3 GByte file [because
3 GByte was used in that partition, all other 7 GByte was free]?
[The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
one physically install in the "reality"]

Thank you!

regards
david

Re: Cloning methods

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI-4
Nagy Daniel wrote:

> Hi, again :) :S
>
> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> open-source software alternateive for it :P]
> I mean cloning like in norton ghost, a program that could "leave" bad
> blocks behind, when cloning, and not making a 10 GByte output file
> [like the partition size is], but just a eg.: a 3 GByte file [because
> 3 GByte was used in that partition, all other 7 GByte was free]?
> [The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
> one physically install in the "reality"]

You may want to take a look at the partimage program.

--
"Jesus may love you, but I think you're garbage wrapped in skin."
                -- Michael O'Donohugh

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
[hidden email]
http://move.to/hpkb

Re: Cloning methods

Alexander Samad
On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 06:05:44PM -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

> Nagy Daniel wrote:
> > Hi, again :) :S
> >
> > What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> > open-source software alternateive for it :P]
> > I mean cloning like in norton ghost, a program that could "leave" bad
> > blocks behind, when cloning, and not making a 10 GByte output file
> > [like the partition size is], but just a eg.: a 3 GByte file [because
> > 3 GByte was used in that partition, all other 7 GByte was free]?
> > [The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
> > one physically install in the "reality"]
systemimager
mondoresue

> You may want to take a look at the partimage program.
>

> --
> "Jesus may love you, but I think you're garbage wrapped in skin."
> -- Michael O'Donohugh
>
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
> [hidden email]
> http://move.to/hpkb

The smiling Spring comes in rejoicing,
And surly Winter grimly flies.
Now crystal clear are the falling waters,
And bonnie blue are the sunny skies.
Fresh o'er the mountains breaks forth the morning,
The ev'ning gilds the oceans's swell:
All creatures joy in the sun's returning,
And I rejoice in my bonnie Bell.

The flowery Spring leads sunny Summer,
The yellow Autumn presses near;
Then in his turn come gloomy Winter,
Till smiling Spring again appear.
Thus seasons dancing, life advancing,
Old Time and Nature their changes tell;
But never ranging, still unchanging,
I adore my bonnie Bell.
                -- Robert Burns, "My Bonnie Bell"

Re: Cloning methods

Adrian Levi
2009/2/8 Nagy Daniel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, again :) :S
>
> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> open-source software alternateive for it :P]
> I mean cloning like in norton ghost, a program that could "leave" bad
> blocks behind, when cloning, and not making a 10 GByte output file
> [like the partition size is], but just a eg.: a 3 GByte file [because
> 3 GByte was used in that partition, all other 7 GByte was free]?
> [The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
> one physically install in the "reality"]
>
> Thank you!

Dump / restore

Was a lot less painful than I thought it would be.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Re: Cloning methods

Stefan Monnier
> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> open-source software alternateive for it :P]

- dump&restore
- tar
- cpio
- rsync -a
- cp -a

        Stefan

Re: Cloning methods

Kelly Harding-2
2009/2/8 Stefan Monnier <[hidden email]>:
>> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
>> open-source software alternateive for it :P]

If you use XFS the xfsdump/xfsrestore programs are very good.

Theres also clonezilla which should do the job.

Kelly

Re: Cloning methods

dotancohen
2009/2/7 Alex Samad:
> systemimager
> mondoresue

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a record!

68 Lines in emaiI:
2 original lines (one word each)
25 Quoted lines
26 Lines of sig!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Re: Cloning methods

Johannes Wiedersich-3
Nagy Daniel wrote:
> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> open-source software alternateive for it :P]

partimage is for 'cloning' of most types of partitions.

For linux partitions (ext3), however I prefer 'rsync -a', since it
copies files and is more efficient IMHO. This applies especially, if you
just want to update a few files on the already installed systems. (With
'cloning' you'll have to do the full job again, instead of just syncing
a few files. )

For identical hardware, ie. you want to partition all your disks just
the same without much hassle, partimage will partition and copy in one go.

For ntfs your best choice is probably ntfsclone.

> [The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
> one physically install in the "reality"]

You could just use a usb housing/adapter and plug and clone the 15 disks
of the 15 computers one after the other. This way you don't have to boot
each of the computers to a live system in order to do the copying. YMMV.

Cheers,
Johannes

Re: Cloning methods

Stefan Monnier
> For linux partitions (ext3), however I prefer 'rsync -a', since it
> copies files and is more efficient IMHO. This applies especially, if you
> just want to update a few files on the already installed systems. (With

`rsync' also has the advantage that if something happens during the
clone, you can restart it later on without any problem.  Maybe I'm
unlucky, but it seems like this happens often to me (as in "more often
than not").

        Stefan

Re: Cloning methods

Alexander Samad
On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 01:56:45PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2009/2/7 Alex Samad:
> > systemimager
> > mondoresue
>
> Ladies and gentlemen, we have a record!
>
> 68 Lines in emaiI:
> 2 original lines (one word each)
> 25 Quoted lines
> 26 Lines of sig!
okay in my defence I didn't see the sig's and they were rather excessive

But I though the email mail bits I left were relevant for contexts

I suppose I could have given more info on the packages but I left that
up the op.

sounds like a visa/mastercard ad :)

--
All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.

Re: Cloning methods

Ron Johnson
On 02/08/2009 04:10 PM, Alex Samad wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 01:56:45PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> 2009/2/7 Alex Samad:
>>> systemimager
>>> mondoresue
>> Ladies and gentlemen, we have a record!
>>
>> 68 Lines in emaiI:
>> 2 original lines (one word each)
>> 25 Quoted lines
>> 26 Lines of sig!
>
> okay in my defence I didn't see the sig's and they were rather excessive

But it's your sig, no?  (It was in neither Ed Kalinkowski nor Nagy
Daniel's emails, only yours.)

Also, Mutt *should* auto-remove the signature from emails that you
are replying to.  (Tbird does, and if Tbird can do it, so should
Mutt...)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Re: Cloning methods

Alexander Samad
On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 07:38:46PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/08/2009 04:10 PM, Alex Samad wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 01:56:45PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> 2009/2/7 Alex Samad:

[snip]

> But it's your sig, no?  (It was in neither Ed Kalinkowski nor Nagy
> Daniel's emails, only yours.)

true, fortune places it there automatically and i guess i haven't
configured mutt to remove other peoples sigs (there were 2 largs sigs).

Any suggestions on what I need to look at changing (in regards to
removing other peoples sig on reply) I will have a google as well

> Also, Mutt *should* auto-remove the signature from emails that you are
> replying to.  (Tbird does, and if Tbird can do it, so should Mutt...)
>
>> But I though the email mail bits I left were relevant for contexts

[snip]

> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA  USA
>
> Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

"I don't need to be subliminabable."

        - George W. Bush
09/12/2000
Orlando, FL
when caught using subliminal techniques in his dirty ads against Gore.

RE: Cloning methods

Stackpole, Chris

I will second partimage.

Many years ago I dealt with a cluster that had another OS (I can not
convey my hatred for that system; there simply are not enough words to
do so). As you can guess, we had many problems with it. Anyway, there
was a known issue at the time where a "ghost" process would start on the
nodes (last I checked, still no answer for why; just something in the OS
would suck CPU and memory). The "ghost" process would run the resources
to the ground and blue screen. More often then not this would make the
system blue screen on every startup after and the installation was
unusable. This would mean HOURS of rebuild time as we install the OS,
run updates, restart, install service packs, restart, updates, restarts,
updates, restarts, updates, ect...

It took a lot of work but we eventually setup a partimage server with a
perfect clone of the other OS partition. We then setup the drives on the
nodes with GRUB, the other OS, and a 1GB partition of Linux that would
autorun the partimage script. So whenever we had a node go down, we
reboot the node, select the Linux partition, and then forget about it.
The partimage script would wipe the other OS partition, put a fresh
image on the partition, then reboot into the other OS.

The benefits, besides not wasting a day rebuilding a node, were that we
could update the one image with updates/software and it only took about
1.5 hrs for partimage to run on each of the nodes. This saved us so much
time it isn't even funny. It made dealing with the randomly killed nodes
much less stressful as my day didn't start off with "Oh jeez, I wonder
how many installs will waste away my life today" and replaced it with a
20 minute morning check that consisted of "Blue screen? Reboot. Boot
Linux. Next!"

For this reason, I will always hold a debt of gratitude to partimage. It
is easy to use and the partimage server can be setup to hold a variety
of images and stream the images over the LAN. If you are dealing with a
large amount of systems that you want cloned from a single source, you
should really look into partimage.

Have fun!
~Stack~

PS: No, I don't have access to that cluster anymore. That problem was
not the only one it had. Top 5 maybe, but I don't think it was the
worst. I have many more horror stories on that POS. The first chance we
got we destroyed that waste of time, space, and energy. Before
management could think "well maybe we shouldn't" it was already too late
as we didn't hesitate in wiping it. It was updated with Rocks Cluster
Linux and made useful! :-)
However, if you are in need of help with setting up a similar situation,
let me know. It has been a while, but considering how well I knew the
setup back then, I should be able to recreate it.

Re: Cloning methods

dotancohen
> okay in my defence I didn't see the sig's and they were rather excessive
>
> But I though the email mail bits I left were relevant for contexts
>

> I suppose I could have given more info on the packages but I left that
> up the op.
>

> sounds like a visa/mastercard ad :)

I didn't mean to pick on you, actually, your post was very helpful.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Re: Cloning methods

Alexander Samad
On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 08:24:49PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> > okay in my defence I didn't see the sig's and they were rather excessive
> >
> > But I though the email mail bits I left were relevant for contexts
> >

> > I suppose I could have given more info on the packages but I left that
> > up the op.
> >

> > sounds like a visa/mastercard ad :)
> >

> I didn't mean to pick on you, actually, your post was very helpful.
none taken, just thought it sounded like a mastercard/visa ad, the one
(atleast in my country), where $1000 on present, $200 on travel, 1
minute of pleasure on the baby faces, 10 days of pleasure with the box
instead

--
"We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories ... And we'll find more weapons as time goes on. But for those who say we haven't found the banned manufacturing devices or banned weapons, they're wrong, we found them."

        - George W. Bush
05/29/2003
Washington, DC
in an interview with Polish television

Re: Cloning methods

Preston Boyington-2
Kelly Harding wrote:
> 2009/2/8 Stefan Monnier:
>>> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
>>> open-source software alternateive for it :P]
>
> If you use XFS the xfsdump/xfsrestore programs are very good.
>
> Theres also clonezilla which should do the job.

I've had good fortune with clonezilla from a LiveCD.  that way I'm not
using the drive I'm cloning.  I will be doing it tonight on my laptop
when I get back to the apartment.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman’s perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/