Compiling GTK code examples

Jose Rogado
Hello,

I'm using Debian Sarge with 2.6.8-2-386 linux kernel. I'm trying to use
the GTK+ examples that appear in:
http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/programming/gtk_examples/index.shtml

I just can't manage to compile them, although I think I have installed
everything that seems to be available on the Debian distribution to
suport GTK.

For instance, when I do:

gcc -Wall -g text.c -o text `gtk-config --cflags` `gtk-config --libs`

The compiler doesn't find the include files, although they seem to be
installed in /usr/include/glib-2.0, and gtk-config doesn't seem to be
part of the Debian distribution.

Is there any other way for installing GTK on Debian?

Thank's for helping.

José Rogado

Re: Compiling GTK code examples

Andrea Vettorello
On 2/12/06, Jose Rogado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Debian Sarge with 2.6.8-2-386 linux kernel. I'm trying to use
> the GTK+ examples that appear in:
> http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/programming/gtk_examples/index.shtml
>
> I just can't manage to compile them, although I think I have installed
> everything that seems to be available on the Debian distribution to
> suport GTK.
>
> For instance, when I do:
>
> gcc -Wall -g text.c -o text `gtk-config --cflags` `gtk-config --libs`
>
> The compiler doesn't find the include files, although they seem to be
> installed in /usr/include/glib-2.0, and gtk-config doesn't seem to be
> part of the Debian distribution.
>
> Is there any other way for installing GTK on Debian?
>
> Thank's for helping.

gtk-config belongs to the libgtk1.2-dev package...

Andrea

Re: Compiling GTK code examples

Hamish Moffatt
On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 08:35:15PM +0100, Andrea Vettorello wrote:

> On 2/12/06, Jose Rogado <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I just can't manage to compile them, although I think I have installed
> > everything that seems to be available on the Debian distribution to
> > suport GTK.
> >
> > For instance, when I do:
> >
> > gcc -Wall -g text.c -o text `gtk-config --cflags` `gtk-config --libs`
> >
> gtk-config belongs to the libgtk1.2-dev package...

If you really want to use gtk-2.0 instead, then substitute gtk-config
with 'pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --cflags' etc.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>