Crashes with noveau driver and non-Debian software: How can I report the problems?

Crashes with noveau driver and non-Debian software: How can I report the problems?

Erik Brangs
Hi,

I'm using Anki as a flashcard software. It was available in Jessie but has been removed for Stretch because upstream didn't release a version for current QT in time for Stretch. It's unlikely that Anki can get backported to Stretch because that would require a backport of QT [1]. So I need to get Anki from a non-Debian source.

There are binary builds available at the upstream site at https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/beta.html and they run on Stretch machines. The binaries sometimes crash on my machine and the console shows error messages from the nouveau driver. I asked upstream about this and they said it was "likely a buggy GL implementation" in the graphics driver. The binaries work fine if I disable hardware acceleration using LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 .

I'd like to know if I should report any bugs about this and/or which packages I could install from backports to check if the driver problem is gone there.

Kind regards,

Erik Brangs

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=855942

Re: Crashes with noveau driver and non-Debian software: How can I report the problems?

Felix Miata-3
Erik Brangs composed on 2017-08-16 10:31 (UTC+0200):

> ...The binaries sometimes crash on my machine and the console shows error
> messages from the nouveau driver. I asked upstream about this and they said
> it was "likely a buggy GL implementation" in the graphics driver. The
> binaries work fine if I disable hardware acceleration using
> LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 ...
If you'd like to avoid the crash without using LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1, give
the default integrated (modesetting) graphics driver a try. By purging
xserver-xorg-video-nouveau it should be used automatically if your gfxchip is
not too new or too old.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Crashes with noveau driver and non-Debian software: How can I report the problems?

Sven Joachim
On 2017-08-16 05:14 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Erik Brangs composed on 2017-08-16 10:31 (UTC+0200):
>
>> ...The binaries sometimes crash on my machine and the console shows error
>> messages from the nouveau driver. I asked upstream about this and they said
>> it was "likely a buggy GL implementation" in the graphics driver. The
>> binaries work fine if I disable hardware acceleration using
>> LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 ...
> If you'd like to avoid the crash without using LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1, give
> the default integrated (modesetting) graphics driver a try. By purging
> xserver-xorg-video-nouveau it should be used automatically if your gfxchip is
> not too new or too old.

No, purging xserver-xorg-video-nouveau won't have the desired effect,
because the modesetting driver will also load nouveau_dri.so.

Cheers,
       Sven

On 16.08.2017 13:08, Sven Joachim wrote:
> No, purging xserver-xorg-video-nouveau won't have the desired effect,
> because the modesetting driver will also load nouveau_dri.so.

That's good to know. I don't want to purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau because Synaptic tells me that this would require removing task-desktop, task-xfce-desktop and xserver-xorg-video-all. The names of those packages sound like they should be kept.

Should I report a bug against xserver-xorg-video-nouveau to report the crashes? Or is that not appropriate because the affected binary isn't shipped by Debian?

Kind regards,

Erik Brangs

Re: Crashes with noveau driver and non-Debian software: How can I report the problems?

Greg Wooledge
On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 02:19:50PM +0200, Erik Brangs wrote:
> That's good to know. I don't want to purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau because Synaptic tells me that this would require removing task-desktop, task-xfce-desktop and xserver-xorg-video-all. The names of those packages sound like they should be kept.

Any package beginning with task- is a meta-package which can be safely
removed.  The sole purpose of a meta-package is to bring in other
packages as dependencies.  It has no content of its own.

There are some other meta-packages that don't begin with task-.  They
usually self-identify in their descriptions, if you can't figure it
out just from the overly generic name and the small installed size.

On 18.08.2017 14:22, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> Any package beginning with task- is a meta-package which can be safely
> removed.  The sole purpose of a meta-package is to bring in other
> packages as dependencies.  It has no content of its own.

is removal also safe in case of system upgrades? For example, could the upgrade process neglect to pull in new packages because the meta-package is missing?

Kind regards,

Erik Brangs

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 03:23:21PM +0200, Erik Brangs wrote:
> is removal also safe in case of system upgrades? For example, could the upgrade process neglect to pull in new packages because the meta-package is missing?

The only meta-package that works like that is the kernel image one.
E.g. linux-image-amd64 for the amd64 arch.

Package: linux-image-amd64
Installed-Size: 16
Depends: linux-image-4.9.0-3-amd64
 This package depends on the latest Linux kernel and modules for use on PCs
 with AMD64, Intel 64 or VIA Nano processors.

It's a good idea to keep this one installed, just in case there is ever
a kernel ABI bump.  Then you'll get the newer kernel ABI package by
dist-upgrading.  That's more of a thing for testing/unstable users than
for stable users, though.  ABI bumps in stable should be exceedingly rare.

On 2017-08-18 14:19 +0200, Erik Brangs wrote:

> On 16.08.2017 13:08, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> No, purging xserver-xorg-video-nouveau won't have the desired effect,
>> because the modesetting driver will also load nouveau_dri.so.
>
> That's good to know. I don't want to purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
> because Synaptic tells me that this would require removing
> task-desktop, task-xfce-desktop and xserver-xorg-video-all. The names
> of those packages sound like they should be kept.

> Should I report a bug against xserver-xorg-video-nouveau to report the
> crashes? Or is that not appropriate because the affected binary isn't
> shipped by Debian?

If you want to file a bug, it should be against libgl1-mesa-dri since
that is where the crash presumably occurs.  But don't expect it to be
fixed, especially not in stable.

Cheers,
       Sven