Cutting down GNOME 1 packages

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cutting down GNOME 1 packages

Nathanael Nerode-5
With gnucash for GNOME 2 in unstable, it's time to think about
what can be done to reduce the number of GNOME 1 packages once
new gnucash hits testing.

Especially since Thomas Bushnell will be hoping to drop
most of the GNOME 1 packages he picked up.

So far this is what I've come up with.  All this applies only
after gnucash 2.0 enters testing!

* gtkhtml -- entire source package only used by gnucash and
libgtkhtml-perl.  This is the GNOME 1 version; the GNOME 2
version is in the gtkhtml3.8 package.

* libgtkhtml-perl -- unused.  This is generated by the libgtk-perl
source package.

New maintainer of libgtk-perl Cc:ed.  Bart, if you want to keep generating
libgtkhtml-perl, please consider adopting gtkhtml, as you're the last user of
it.  Alternatively, stop generating libgtkhtml-perl, and we can get rid of
gtkhtml.  Or update it to a GNOME 2 version, but I think libgtk-perl is
strictly for GNOME 1.

* libglade-bonobo0 and libglade-bonobo0-dev -- unused.  These are
generated from the libglade source package.  (Other packages generated
from the same source package are used.)  Perhaps these could be
dropped?  Hopefully?

* bonobo-conf -- this exists only for the purposes of bonobo, and
as noted below bonobo should go away.  So this should go away.

* bonobo -- entire source package will be unused once gnucash, gtkhtml,
libglade-bonobo0, and bonobo-conf are gone.

* guppi -- entire source package will be unused once gnucash is gone.

* gwrapguile -- entire source package will be unused once gnucash
is gone.

* python-gnome-1.2 -- this is currently depended on only by
gnome-tasksel, which has a bug open requesting upgrade to GNOME 2.
So this is planned to go away soon.  (And I would prioritize this
because of the possible removal of libcapplet, below.)
This is independent of gnucash.
* python-gdk-imlib-1.2  -- from the same source package, this is
depended on only by python-gnome-1.2.

* libcapplet -- entire source package is used only by
python-gnome-1.2 and gtkhtml.

----
After all these are removed, the heaviest remaining users of GNOME 1
libraries will be as follows.  Perhaps some of them would like
to adopt the remaining GNOME 1 packages.  ;-)

Remaining users of libgal23:

- gpredict
- yank

These will be the only remaining users of anything in the gal0.x
source package.  The yank maintainer has been inactive since 2003.
Hamish Moffatt, the gpredict maintainer, will probably want to
take gal0.x?

Remaining users of libgnomeprint15:
- libgnome-print-perl (no reverse deps, should be dropped)
- gpredict
- yank
- terraform
- gphotocoll
- gfax
- cronosii

Remaining users of libglade-gnome0:
  guikachu
  gpredict
  gnobog
  yank
  multi-gnome-terminal (orphaned)
  gnotepad+
  gnomp3
  gnome-think
  gnome-find
  gnome-chess
  gfax
  gabber
  bins

Remaining users of libgnomemm1.2-9c2 (gnomemm source package):
  xgsmlib (QA)
  gabber

---
Finally, complete list of remaining non-library users of libgnome32
(after those discussed above are removed):
  bombermaze
  cheops-ng
  coriander
  cronosii
  directory-administrator
  drip
  fidelio
  fpm
  fvwm-gnome
  gabber
  gaby
  gbatnav
  gbib
  gfax
  gfontview
  gfslicer
  gipsc
  glotski
  gmanedit
  gnobog
  gnoise-gnome
  gnome-bin
  gnome-breakout
  gnome-chess
  gnome-find
  gnome-iconedit
  gnome-lokkit
  gnome-pim
  gnome-think
  gnomekiss
  gnomermind
  gnomp3
  gnotepad+
  gpgp
  gphotocoll
  gpr
  gpredict
  groach
  gsmartcard
  gsnes9x
  gtkgo
  gtktalog
  gtoaster
  guikachu
  guikachu2rcp
  lightlab
  mathwar
  multi-gnome-terminal
  nethack-gnome
  pimppa
  powershell
  r-omegahat-rgtk
  sanduhr
  sgcontrol
  snac
  soundtracker
  spacechart
  telegnome
  terraform
  xemacs21-gnome-mule
  xemacs21-gnome-mule-canna-wnn
  xemacs21-gnome-nomule
  xgsmlib
  xwine
  yank

In addition, a few packages depend on the perl bindings:
  gtkgrepmail
  bins

I believe this is the sum total of all remaining GNOME 1 packages
(not to be confused with GTK 1.2 packages, of which there are a lot
more).


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cutting down GNOME 1 packages

Loïc Minier
 Thanks for your work on this!

--
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cutting down GNOME 1 packages

Hamish Moffatt
In reply to this post by Nathanael Nerode-5
On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 08:03:08AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Remaining users of libgal23:
>
> - gpredict
> - yank
>
> These will be the only remaining users of anything in the gal0.x
> source package.  The yank maintainer has been inactive since 2003.
> Hamish Moffatt, the gpredict maintainer, will probably want to
> take gal0.x?

That's fine with me.

Thanks,
Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cutting down GNOME 1 packages

Daniel Holbach-2
In reply to this post by Nathanael Nerode-5
Hello,

Am Freitag, den 09.06.2006, 08:03 -0400 schrieb Nathanael Nerode:
> With gnucash for GNOME 2 in unstable, it's time to think about
> what can be done to reduce the number of GNOME 1 packages once
> new gnucash hits testing.

Thanks for your work on this!



> Remaining users of libglade-gnome0:
> ...
>   gfax

This has been rewritten in Mono and is already in Ubuntu's Universe and
in Debian Sid.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel


signature.asc (198 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cutting down GNOME 1 packages

Bart Martens-2
In reply to this post by Nathanael Nerode-5
reopen 110849
retitle 110849 drop unused packages
stop


On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 08:03:08AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> * libgtkhtml-perl -- unused.  This is generated by the libgtk-perl
> source package.
>
> New maintainer of libgtk-perl Cc:ed.  Bart, if you want to keep generating
> libgtkhtml-perl, please consider adopting gtkhtml, as you're the last user of
> it.  Alternatively, stop generating libgtkhtml-perl, and we can get rid of
> gtkhtml.  Or update it to a GNOME 2 version, but I think libgtk-perl is
> strictly for GNOME 1.

I'll stop generating libgtkhtml-perl.

> Remaining users of libgnomeprint15:
> - libgnome-print-perl (no reverse deps, should be dropped)

I'll stop generating libgnome-print-perl.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cutting down GNOME 1 packages

Bart Martens-2
On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:42:45PM +0200, Bart Martens wrote:

> reopen 110849
> retitle 110849 drop unused packages
> stop
>
>
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 08:03:08AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > * libgtkhtml-perl -- unused.  This is generated by the libgtk-perl
> > source package.
> >
> > New maintainer of libgtk-perl Cc:ed.  Bart, if you want to keep generating
> > libgtkhtml-perl, please consider adopting gtkhtml, as you're the last user of
> > it.  Alternatively, stop generating libgtkhtml-perl, and we can get rid of
> > gtkhtml.  Or update it to a GNOME 2 version, but I think libgtk-perl is
> > strictly for GNOME 1.
>
> I'll stop generating libgtkhtml-perl.
>
> > Remaining users of libgnomeprint15:
> > - libgnome-print-perl (no reverse deps, should be dropped)
>
> I'll stop generating libgnome-print-perl.
It's not so simple.  There's a procedure for removing packages.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-removing-pkgs

The popcon stats are not zero.
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?popcon=libgtk-perl

Nathanael, are there worthy replacements for these packages using the
new gnome libraries? If not yet, then I would like to keep these
packages generated for now.

But, Nathanael, I appreciate that you care about cleaning up.  Good
work, including making that list of "orphaned packages with low popcon".

Regards,

Bart Martens

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gnucash & Cutting down GNOME 1 packages

Stefan Karrmann-2
In reply to this post by Nathanael Nerode-5
Dear all,

IMHO GNOME 1 should be provided longer.

Gnucash, version 1.8.10, in testing is still missing the HBCI support which
version 1.8.9 provides.

Regards,
--
Stefan Karrmann


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gnucash & Cutting down GNOME 1 packages

Ondřej Surý-4
On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 20:28 +0200, Stefan Karrmann wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> IMHO GNOME 1 should be provided longer.
>
> Gnucash, version 1.8.10, in testing is still missing the HBCI support which
> version 1.8.9 provides.

Gnucash 1.8.9 isn't official packaged by debian project (not even in
stable).  If you want to use non-official gnucash package, then you are
free to compile GNOME 1 for your system at your will (or use current
stable debian version which includes GNOME1 and will as long as is
supported by security team).  We can only suport software within Debian
and gnucach 1.8.9 is not within debian atm.

Ondrej.
--
Ondrej Sury <[hidden email]>

signature.asc (198 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cutting down GNOME 1 packages

Nathanael Nerode-4
In reply to this post by Bart Martens-2
(from my new email address....)

Bart Martens wrote:
>Nathanael, are there worthy replacements for these packages using the
>new gnome libraries? If not yet, then I would like to keep these
>packages generated for now.

Well, let's see.

libgnome2-print-perl should be a worthy replacement for libgnome-print-perl.
That was simple.

libgtk2-html2-perl is clearly planned to be the replacement for libgtkhtml-perl,
but it's currently only in experimental, at version 0.04-1.  So I guess it's not
ready yet.  And it appears not to have been touched in nearly two years upstream.
:-(

(Incidentally, I am impressed at the list of well-maintained packages Marc 'HE'
Brockschmidt has.)

The popcon count on libgtkhtml-perl is 5 installations, 2 votes (votes meaning the
package was actually used recently).  These are the lowest numbers of the packages
generated from libgtk-perl source.

If you still want to keep generating that package, kudos to you, but please consider
adopting gtkhtml if you do so.  And possibly libcapplet as well.

--
Nathanael Nerode  <[hidden email]>

Theocracy, fascism, or absolute monarchy -- I don't care which it is, I don't like it.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email]
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]