Debian 10.2 LinuxCenter Peterburg

Pichugin_EN
Hello

The root password is set during installation

but after installation, the root password is not accepted

pichugin_en

Re: Debian 10.2 LinuxCenter Peterburg

Lennart Sorensen
On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:35:46AM +0300, Pichugin_EN wrote:
> The root password is set during installation
>
> but after installation, the root password is not accepted

It should work on the console.

It should work for 'su -'

It should not work for ssh and probably should not work to login to
the GUI.

Len Sorensen

Re: Debian 10.2 LinuxCenter Peterburg

Steve McIntyre
On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 09:44:00AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 12:35:46AM +0300, Pichugin_EN wrote:
>> The root password is set during installation
>>
>> but after installation, the root password is not accepted
>
>It should work on the console.
>
>It should work for 'su -'
>
>It should not work for ssh and probably should not work to login to
>the GUI.

That's the default policy, yes.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                [hidden email]
  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
  knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony DeBoer

Re: Debian 10.2 LinuxCenter Peterburg

Holger Wansing-4

Pichugin_EN <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello
>
> The root password is set during installation
>
> but after installation, the root password is not accepted

Maybe some sort of "different keyboard layout used during installation
compared to when running installed system later" ?

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <[hidden email]>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076

Re: Debian 10.2 LinuxCenter Peterburg

Holger Wansing-4
Hi,

Pichugin_EN <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> No, it was checked three times. and I intend to repeat it for the fourth
> time. Root is not in the list of users, and when installing the
> operating system, the password is set for it. There is an opinion that
> you do not need to set a password. But for now ...
> I study SUDO, but for a beginner there is too much complex material, the
> professional forgot that the beginner does not know the alphabet and
> gives his explanations for a person of his level

I have just tested with an 10.3 netinst amd64 image, and it works as it
should.
So, you will need to give more information, in order to be able to help you.
- which installation image did you use exactly?
- please provide the installation logs.

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <[hidden email]>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076

Re: Debian 10.2 LinuxCenter Peterburg

Hugh McMaster
Hallo Holger,

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 03:01, Holger Wansing  wrote:
> I have just tested with an 10.3 netinst amd64 image, and it works as it
> should.
> So, you will need to give more information, in order to be able to help you.
> - which installation image did you use exactly?
> - please provide the installation logs.

The behaviour described is present in the weekly Debian Testing net
install image (I used amd64).

After using the graphical installer in a virtual machine, setting the
root and standard user passwords, and finally restarting, the root
password is not accepted, so the user cannot login as root or use sudo
as a normal user.

Hugh

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 10:36:07PM +1100, Hugh McMaster wrote:

> Hallo Holger,
>
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 03:01, Holger Wansing  wrote:
> > I have just tested with an 10.3 netinst amd64 image, and it works as it
> > should.
> > So, you will need to give more information, in order to be able to help you.
> > - which installation image did you use exactly?
> > - please provide the installation logs.
>
> The behaviour described is present in the weekly Debian Testing net
> install image (I used amd64).
>
> After using the graphical installer in a virtual machine, setting the
> root and standard user passwords, and finally restarting, the root
> password is not accepted, so the user cannot login as root or use sudo
> as a normal user.

Can you use 'su -l' as a normal user to become root?

Can you switch to tty1 (left control+left alt+F1) and login as root there?

Not being able to login to the GUI as root is expected.

Len Sorensen

Re: Debian 10.2 LinuxCenter Peterburg

Hugh McMaster
Hallo Lennart,

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 03:08, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 10:36:07PM +1100, Hugh McMaster wrote:
> > After using the graphical installer in a virtual machine, setting the
> > root and standard user passwords, and finally restarting, the root
> > password is not accepted, so the user cannot login as root or use sudo
> > as a normal user.
>
> Can you use 'su -l' as a normal user to become root?
> Can you switch to tty1 (left control+left alt+F1) and login as root there?

Both of these work correctly. What I was actually thinking of was an
issue with `adduser <username> sudo`. It now requires a reboot instead
of just logging out and in as a normal user.

You can log in as the root user using Cinnamon by default.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 09:34:22PM +1100, Hugh McMaster wrote:
> Both of these work correctly. What I was actually thinking of was an
> issue with `adduser <username> sudo`. It now requires a reboot instead
> of just logging out and in as a normal user.

That makes no sense.  It should not require a reboot, but it does require
logging out.

> You can log in as the root user using Cinnamon by default.

Well it is up to the login manager if it allows root or not.  Some don't.

Len Sorensen

Hugh McMaster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hallo Holger,
>
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 03:01, Holger Wansing  wrote:
> > I have just tested with an 10.3 netinst amd64 image, and it works as it
> > should.
> > So, you will need to give more information, in order to be able to help you.
> > - which installation image did you use exactly?
> > - please provide the installation logs.
>
> The behaviour described is present in the weekly Debian Testing net
> install image (I used amd64).
>
> After using the graphical installer in a virtual machine, setting the
> root and standard user passwords, and finally restarting, the root
> password is not accepted, so the user cannot login as root or use sudo
> as a normal user.

Still not reproducible, sorry.
I have tested with the weekly image from 2020-02-24 and logging in as
root and user works correctly on the console on the installed system.

Regarding sudo: please note, that sudo is NOT installed, if you chose to
allow root login (means: if you gave the root password during installation).

sudo is only installed, if you say NO to "Allow root login". In that case,
the ordinary user will be given root privileges via sudo.

Holger