Debian 68k meeting in 2018

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hi list!

I was wondering whether anyone would be interested in having another
Debian/m68k meeting in 2018 after the last one in 2015 was quite a
success :).

We could work on resurrecting various kernel drivers for Amiga hardware
as I have now enough hardware available for testing which I could bring.

Another area to work on would be the debian-installer which has made
some process in the past months but there are certainly still some
things that can be improved.

Maybe we can gather more people this time since the overall visibility
of Debian/m68k seems to have increased.

Any suggestions for a venue?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Debian 68k meeting in 2018

Christian T. Steigies
Moin,
On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 12:51:53PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hi list!
>
> I was wondering whether anyone would be interested in having another
> Debian/m68k meeting in 2018 after the last one in 2015 was quite a
> success :).
>
> We could work on resurrecting various kernel drivers for Amiga hardware
> as I have now enough hardware available for testing which I could bring.
>
> Another area to work on would be the debian-installer which has made
> some process in the past months but there are certainly still some
> things that can be improved.
>
> Maybe we can gather more people this time since the overall visibility
> of Debian/m68k seems to have increased.
>
> Any suggestions for a venue?

2015 was a good year for meetings, Debconf was in Heidelberg and I proposed
a debian-science sprint there for the following year. On the weekends and
during the semester break, it should be easy to book a room for us. We have
eduroam and with a little bit of work we can probably use wired network as
well. Some (outdated) info on the venue is here:
http://www.ieap.uni-kiel.de/et/people/steigies/summerschool/localinfo.html

We did already have a m68k meeting in Kiel, not so long(?) ago:
https://lwn.net/Articles/297777/

However, the sleeping arrangements from those days are not possible anymore.
I have a bit more space than those days (nobody has to sleep in the bathtub
anymore), but we have lots of hostels/hotels in town as well.  And as long
as you don't want to visit during Kieler Woche (you should!), rooms should
be available.

But with the overwhelming response to Adrians request, I am not sure if
the rooms at the institute are large enough for all the participants...

Christian

Re: Debian 68k meeting in 2018

ALeX Kazik
Hi,

I'm interested in a meeting. But I can't offer a location.

ALeX.

On 11/08/2017 01:08 PM, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> 2015 was a good year for meetings, Debconf was in Heidelberg and I proposed
> a debian-science sprint there for the following year. On the weekends and
> during the semester break, it should be easy to book a room for us. We have
> eduroam and with a little bit of work we can probably use wired network as
> well. Some (outdated) info on the venue is here:
> http://www.ieap.uni-kiel.de/et/people/steigies/summerschool/localinfo.html
>
> We did already have a m68k meeting in Kiel, not so long(?) ago:
> https://lwn.net/Articles/297777/

For very large definitions of "long" :D.

> However, the sleeping arrangements from those days are not possible anymore.
> I have a bit more space than those days (nobody has to sleep in the bathtub
> anymore), but we have lots of hostels/hotels in town as well.  And as long
> as you don't want to visit during Kieler Woche (you should!), rooms should
> be available.

Sounds good to me.

> But with the overwhelming response to Adrians request, I am not sure if
> the rooms at the institute are large enough for all the participants...

Well, I haven't asked on a1k.org yet :). I think I should do that.

Can you suggest some dates? I assume, we do it on a weekend again.

Adrian

--
  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Debian 68k meeting in 2018

Stefan Niestegge-2

Am 08.11.2017 um 14:11 schrieb John Paul Adrian Glaubitz:

>> But with the overwhelming response to Adrians request, I am not sure if
>> the rooms at the institute are large enough for all the participants...
>
> Well, I haven't asked on a1k.org yet :). I think I should do that.

I'd like to attend again, too.

Greets,
Stefan

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 02:11:15PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Can you suggest some dates? I assume, we do it on a weekend again.

Well, next year is special, there are more than 50 weekends! Do you want me
to list them all and block rooms already? Maybe we can limit the timeframe a
little bit. Do you want a meeting in Winter like last time? Should be easy
to get (meeting and hotel) rooms here, since it will be dark and miserable.
The FOSDEM weekend is probably not a good choice, so January? Really?

Lectures will be over on Feb 14, exams on Feb 21. After that until April the
University should be mostly empty, but I might be away for a week or two.
The first half of March looks good right now, the sun is coming back, so we
could go swimming, the baltic usually does not freeze anymore in March ;-)

If you want it later in the year, I would suggest late August / early
September, like last time. It will be hot (20°C!) and sunny, no classes.
But there I'd need to check for other conferences here first, this is the
preferred time for meetings.

Probably you want some feedback from Geert and Michael and Roman and
Thorsten and Andreas and Ingo and ... first before we lockin a date?

Christian

On 11/09/2017 10:57 AM, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> Well, next year is special, there are more than 50 weekends! Do you want me
> to list them all and block rooms already? Maybe we can limit the timeframe a
> little bit.

Nordic humor :P. No, of course just list the ones which are possible :).

> Do you want a meeting in Winter like last time? Should be easy
> to get (meeting and hotel) rooms here, since it will be dark and miserable.
> The FOSDEM weekend is probably not a good choice, so January? Really?

I agree. Not in winter.

> Lectures will be over on Feb 14, exams on Feb 21. After that until April the
> University should be mostly empty, but I might be away for a week or two.
> The first half of March looks good right now, the sun is coming back, so we
> could go swimming, the baltic usually does not freeze anymore in March ;-)

This was my idea as well thinking about the German university schedule.

> If you want it later in the year, I would suggest late August / early
> September, like last time. It will be hot (20°C!) and sunny, no classes.
> But there I'd need to check for other conferences here first, this is the
> preferred time for meetings.

No, I think March sounds very good.

> Probably you want some feedback from Geert and Michael and Roman and
> Thorsten and Andreas and Ingo and ... first before we lockin a date?

Of course. Would be great to have as many of the m68k people there :).

Adrian

--
  .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Debian 68k meeting in 2018

Ingo Jürgensmann-10
Am 09.11.2017 um 10:57 schrieb Christian T. Steigies <[hidden email]>:

> Probably you want some feedback from Geert and Michael and Roman and
> Thorsten and Andreas and Ingo and ... first before we lockin a date?

From my current point of view:
I would prefer summer, at least not winter. Maybe we can find some date with a „Brueckentag“ or so, but however I would just come by for a day, like the last time I was there, because I’m only a user and not a programmer (and no, I don’t intend to change this! ;-))...

--
Ciao...          //        http://blog.windfluechter.net
      Ingo     \X/     XMPP: [hidden email]

gpg pubkey:  http://www.juergensmann.de/ij_public_key.asc

Re: Debian 68k meeting in 2018

Carsten Strotmann

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

 > Any suggestions for a venue?

I offer to organize a meeting at Linuxhotel (http://linuxhotel.de) in
Essen/Germany.

Prices are low (for open source community meetings, around 40
Euro/Weekend/per Person), we have network, hotel rooms and meeting rooms
on venue in a nice park.

And Linuxhotel would fit the meeting theme :)

Linuxhotel is especially nice in Spring/Summer.

Best regards

Carsten Strotmann
(just a random Debian m68K user)

Am 09.11.2017 um 12:17 schrieb Carsten Strotmann:

> Hi,
>
> John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>
>  > Any suggestions for a venue?
>
> I offer to organize a meeting at Linuxhotel (http://linuxhotel.de) in
> Essen/Germany.
>
> Prices are low (for open source community meetings, around 40
> Euro/Weekend/per Person), we have network, hotel rooms and meeting rooms
> on venue in a nice park.
>
> And Linuxhotel would fit the meeting theme :)
>
> Linuxhotel is especially nice in Spring/Summer.
>
> Best regards
>
> Carsten Strotmann
> (just a random Debian m68K user)

I'd like to try that! Even two nights in a Hostel cost me more....
But not only the costs are tempting, that seems to be a very
interesting location.

Greets,
Stefan

Am 09.11.2017 um 12:17 schrieb Carsten Strotmann <[hidden email]>:

> I offer to organize a meeting at Linuxhotel (http://linuxhotel.de) in Essen/Germany.
> Prices are low (for open source community meetings, around 40 Euro/Weekend/per Person), we have network, hotel rooms and meeting rooms on venue in a nice park.
> And Linuxhotel would fit the meeting theme :)
> Linuxhotel is especially nice in Spring/Summer.

Linuxhotel sounds great. Never been to Linuxhotel so far… :-)