Debian AMD64

Umarzuki Mochlis Moktar
I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.

Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Re: Debian AMD64

Samir Cury
I tried to use it on my desktop AMD64 a year ago, and i had some problems with software installing, maybe it does exists but sometimes is harder to find, in the end you gain speed, but spend more time making your system as you want.

I don't think that still is advantage, maybe if you wanna learn or has free time, or want to pay someone to do it fot you. hehhee

hope i helped.

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Umarzuki Mochlis <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.

Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Re: Debian AMD64

Johann Spies
On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
>
> Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?

Points of difficulty can be:

1. Third party software that is not available.  In my case I have to
run at least one i386-system to handle my scanner because the scanner
software from epkowa is not available for the 64-bit environment.
Skype and Googleearth are other examples.  This problem can at least
in the case of Skype and Googleearth be solved by installing the
ia32-libraries.

2. Up till recently flash was also a problem but there is now a 64-bit
version of Adobe's flashplugin available.

I don't know what you are using for word processing.  I use LaTeX.
Tools like Openoffice, Abiword ek Koffice works well on 64 bit.

For virtualization I use a 64-version of Sun's VirtualBox. Debian
packages are available.  On our servers (also 64-bit) we use Debian's
Xen without problems.

I recently got a new Lenovo Thinkpad R61i and started out with Lenny
64-bit.  However, I had several problems (like losing my network
connections intermittently) and in the end installed
Ubuntu Hardy amd64 and it had less problems - maybe because Ubuntu
uses drivers of which the license is not allowed in debian.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the
      children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy
      neighbour as thyself. I am the LORD."
                                 Leviticus 19:18

Re: Debian AMD64

Nuno Magalhães-2
You'd be better off asking on debian-amd64.

If you have an amd64 CPU, use debian amd64.

I have no problems with Netbeans or youtube, to name a few.

Nuno Magalhães

Re: Debian AMD64

lostson
On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 15:07 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> > I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> > AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> > use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
> >
> > Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?
>
> Points of difficulty can be:
>
> 1. Third party software that is not available.  In my case I have to
> run at least one i386-system to handle my scanner because the scanner
> software from epkowa is not available for the 64-bit environment.
> Skype and Googleearth are other examples.  This problem can at least
> in the case of Skype and Googleearth be solved by installing the
> ia32-libraries.
>
> 2. Up till recently flash was also a problem but there is now a 64-bit
> version of Adobe's flashplugin available.
>
> I don't know what you are using for word processing.  I use LaTeX.
> Tools like Openoffice, Abiword ek Koffice works well on 64 bit.
>
> For virtualization I use a 64-version of Sun's VirtualBox. Debian
> packages are available.  On our servers (also 64-bit) we use Debian's
> Xen without problems.
>
> I recently got a new Lenovo Thinkpad R61i and started out with Lenny
> 64-bit.  However, I had several problems (like losing my network
> connections intermittently) and in the end installed
> Ubuntu Hardy amd64 and it had less problems - maybe because Ubuntu
> uses drivers of which the license is not allowed in debian.
>
> Regards
> Johann
> --
> Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036
> Informasietegnologie, Universiteit van Stellenbosch
>
>      "Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the
>       children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy
>       neighbour as thyself. I am the LORD."
>                                  Leviticus 19:18

 Personally I am using 64 and have really had no problems at all. All
the software i needed was readily available. I have had no hiccups or
serious problems at all. And this may be trivial but rebuilding debs for
64 if you absolutely need them really is easier than one might think. If
you have a 64 you might as well use 64. I am using debian lenny if that
makes any difference to you. Hope it all goes well for you, and good
luck.
--
LostSon

http://lostsonsvault.org

Debian Lenny on amd64

Re: Debian AMD64

Umarzuki Mochlis Moktar
Come to think of it, my main concern for this laptop (CQ40-115AU) is
it's wifi, altec lansing audio and it's webcam whether anyone ever got
them working on Lenny AMD64. Now still googling on that.

2009/1/6 lostson <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 15:07 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>> > I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
>> > AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
>> > use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
>> >
>> > Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?
>>
>> Points of difficulty can be:
>>
>> 1. Third party software that is not available.  In my case I have to
>> run at least one i386-system to handle my scanner because the scanner
>> software from epkowa is not available for the 64-bit environment.
>> Skype and Googleearth are other examples.  This problem can at least
>> in the case of Skype and Googleearth be solved by installing the
>> ia32-libraries.
>>
>> 2. Up till recently flash was also a problem but there is now a 64-bit
>> version of Adobe's flashplugin available.
>>
>> I don't know what you are using for word processing.  I use LaTeX.
>> Tools like Openoffice, Abiword ek Koffice works well on 64 bit.
>>
>> For virtualization I use a 64-version of Sun's VirtualBox. Debian
>> packages are available.  On our servers (also 64-bit) we use Debian's
>> Xen without problems.
>>
>> I recently got a new Lenovo Thinkpad R61i and started out with Lenny
>> 64-bit.  However, I had several problems (like losing my network
>> connections intermittently) and in the end installed
>> Ubuntu Hardy amd64 and it had less problems - maybe because Ubuntu
>> uses drivers of which the license is not allowed in debian.
>>
>> Regards
>> Johann
>> --
>> Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036
>> Informasietegnologie, Universiteit van Stellenbosch
>>
>>      "Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the
>>       children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy
>>       neighbour as thyself. I am the LORD."
>>                                  Leviticus 19:18
>>

>  Personally I am using 64 and have really had no problems at all. All
> the software i needed was readily available. I have had no hiccups or
> serious problems at all. And this may be trivial but rebuilding debs for
> 64 if you absolutely need them really is easier than one might think. If
> you have a 64 you might as well use 64. I am using debian lenny if that
> makes any difference to you. Hope it all goes well for you, and good
> luck.
> --
> LostSon
>
> http://lostsonsvault.org
>
> Debian Lenny on amd64

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Re: Debian AMD64

michf
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:56:52 -0200
Samir Cury <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried to use it on my desktop AMD64 a year ago, and i had some problems
> with software installing, maybe it does exists but sometimes is harder to
> find, in the end you gain speed, but spend more time making your system as
> you want.

Most packages work now with amd64 (although not all). skype requires using the
static build. There is an open java plugin that works, sun said that they will
release on soon. Except for a few codecs most other things work.

What you gain is the ability to use more than 2gb installed memory (you can
just install the amd64 kernel and use 32bit userspace and then single programs
can't use more than 2gb memory each but the system can as a whole)

the downside is that programs use more memory (about 30% if I recall correctly).

Unlike popular belief most programs don't see a speed increase. The only ones
that may benefit are memory intensive mathematical programs.

> I don't think that still is advantage, maybe if you wanna learn or has free
> time, or want to pay someone to do it fot you. hehhee
>
> hope i helped.
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Umarzuki Mochlis <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> > AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> > use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
> >
> > Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Umarzuki Mochlis
> > http://gameornot.net
> >

> > --
> > [hidden email]

Re: Debian AMD64

michf
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:58:21 -0200
Samir Cury <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Problems that i remember to get and some friends had too was mainly with
> java and flash installation. But if you really want, everything is easy.

flash is solved now that there is a 64bit version out. java plugin is still a
problem (there is a package called icedtea or something like that that provides
a 64bit java plugin that works for most stuff)

Not sure if all video codecs work, but the main ones do (never ran into one
that was a problem)

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Samir Cury <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I tried to use it on my desktop AMD64 a year ago, and i had some problems
> > with software installing, maybe it does exists but sometimes is harder to
> > find, in the end you gain speed, but spend more time making your system as
> > you want.
> >
> > I don't think that still is advantage, maybe if you wanna learn or has free
> > time, or want to pay someone to do it fot you. hehhee
> >
> > hope i helped.
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Umarzuki Mochlis <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> >> I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> >> AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> >> use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
> >>
> >> Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Umarzuki Mochlis
> >> http://gameornot.net
> >>

> >> --
> >> [hidden email]

Re: Debian AMD64

Sam Smith
Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
>
> Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?

No problems here really.  For a working java plugin for iceweasel in
amd64 you have to install icedtea-gcjwebplugin

To get a pdf plugin for iceweasel you have to install acroread
mozilla-acroread nspluginwrapper from debian multimedia repos.  However
the bugs in mozilla-acroread
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acroread/+bug/236219 are
worsened by the amd64 environment

Sam

Re: Debian AMD64

jackyf.devel (Bugzilla)
Sam Leon wrote:
> To get a pdf plugin for iceweasel you have to install acroread
> mozilla-acroread nspluginwrapper from debian multimedia repos.  However
> the bugs in mozilla-acroread
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acroread/+bug/236219 are
> worsened by the amd64 environment
Why one should view pdf with iceweasel? We have bunch of stand-alone pdf viewers without
any 64-bit problems.

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Re: Debian AMD64

Ron Johnson
On 01/06/09 10:56, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> Sam Leon wrote:
>> To get a pdf plugin for iceweasel you have to install acroread
>> mozilla-acroread nspluginwrapper from debian multimedia repos.  However
>> the bugs in mozilla-acroread
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acroread/+bug/236219 are
>> worsened by the amd64 environment
> Why one should view pdf with iceweasel? We have bunch of stand-alone pdf viewers without
> any 64-bit problems.

Embedded links.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.

Re: Debian AMD64

Joel Roth-2
On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
>
> Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?

A lot of the amd64 nerds out there are busy installing 32-bit
chroot environments to run software the doesn't run under
amd64.

I got a Toshiba amd64 laptop, and first installed amd64.
Turns out a particular perl module my application depends on
doesn't compile, and i haven't figured out how to fix it.

It looks liek this to me: If you want to go amd64, you
should do a parallel i386 installation so that if
amd64 doesn't work for something, you can test if the
problem is amd64, or if it's something else.

And if you're going to have to maintain two environments,
why not just maintain one?

Of course, I want to do fast multimedia processing, which
the amd64 excels at, but in actual fact, my amd64 debian
installation is languishing, and I do my day-to-day stuff
under i386.

Wishing you good luck (and running software)

Joel

> --
> Regards,
>
> Umarzuki Mochlis
> http://gameornot.net

Joel Roth

Re: Debian AMD64

sjoerd (Bugzilla)
Joel Roth schreef:

> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>> I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
>> AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
>> use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
>>
>> Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?
>
> A lot of the amd64 nerds out there are busy installing 32-bit
> chroot environments to run software the doesn't run under
> amd64.
Why? I have no software that doesn't run in 64-bit mode. There are a few
32 bit programmes that run fine with the ia32libs-package, and for Skype
you download the static build.
> Of course, I want to do fast multimedia processing, which
> the amd64 excels at, but in actual fact, my amd64 debian
> installation is languishing, and I do my day-to-day stuff
> under i386.
I do my day to day stuff in a amd64, and I do have the impression may
others too. So, as long as you don't need your kernel to run 32-bit
drivers you should be fine. And as 64 bit is the future, why not move now?

Sjoerd

Re: Debian AMD64

Umarzuki Mochlis Moktar
right now, i'm having problem installing wifi driver for lenny. Now
trying with mad wifi, i how do i know which module to load?

2009/1/7 Sjoerd Hardeman <[hidden email]>:

> Joel Roth schreef:
>> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>>> I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
>>> AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
>>> use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
>>>
>>> Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?
>>
>> A lot of the amd64 nerds out there are busy installing 32-bit
>> chroot environments to run software the doesn't run under
>> amd64.
> Why? I have no software that doesn't run in 64-bit mode. There are a few
> 32 bit programmes that run fine with the ia32libs-package, and for Skype
> you download the static build.
>> Of course, I want to do fast multimedia processing, which
>> the amd64 excels at, but in actual fact, my amd64 debian
>> installation is languishing, and I do my day-to-day stuff
>> under i386.
> I do my day to day stuff in a amd64, and I do have the impression may
> others too. So, as long as you don't need your kernel to run 32-bit
> drivers you should be fine. And as 64 bit is the future, why not move now?
>
> Sjoerd
>

> --
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Re: Debian AMD64

Raffaele Morelli-3
with `lspci |grep -i wireless` you can obtain enough information about your wifi card and the proper module to load and if you don't... google is your friend

wifi kernel modules are in debian lenny and I think you should have wireless-tool and kwifimanager installed

eg. on my laptop I got an "intel 4965" wireless card and the module to load is "iwl4965"

regards

2009/1/7 Umarzuki Mochlis <[hidden email]>
right now, i'm having problem installing wifi driver for lenny. Now
trying with mad wifi, i how do i know which module to load?

Re: Debian AMD64

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.-3
On Wednesday 2009 January 07 04:18:27 Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Joel Roth schreef:
> > On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> >> I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> >> AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> >> use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.

I don't think VT is available in non-64-bit mode, so you'd probably want a
64-bit kernel and a 64-bit version of your virtualization software, if it can
make use of VT.

For word processing, the extra registers could help, but the CPU will be
idling mostly anyway.  So, you won't see much benefit and your word processor
will take up some more memory. (64-bit pointers vs. 32-bit pointers -> All
programs take some more memory.)  Even if all you did was word processing, if
you have more than 3G of memory, you'll want 64-bit so you can use it all.
(PAE is much slower by comparison.)

> >> Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?
> >
> > A lot of the amd64 nerds out there are busy installing 32-bit
> > chroot environments to run software the doesn't run under
> > amd64.
> Why? I have no software that doesn't run in 64-bit mode. There are a few
> 32 bit programmes that run fine with the ia32libs-package, and for Skype
> you download the static build.

Yeah, I've been amd64 since 2005 and I never had a chroot.  Non-free just
isn't that important for me -- I avoid java, flash, skype, google-earth, etc.

Flash has a 64-bit plugin now, although I use gnash.  OpenJDK and associated
projects should give us a 64-bit plugin soon, if not already.  I have no need
for skype of google-earth with ekiga and marble being available.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[hidden email]                     ((_/)o o(\_))

audio recording and playback through SPDIF port

rlharris
I am searching for a guide or HOWTO for recording and playback of audio
through a SPDIF port (IEC60958 Type II, coaxial (that is, RCA pin) port).

I also am searching for a Debian-compatible motherboard or sound card
with a SPDIF port.