Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)

Andreas Tille-5
Dear Debian Community,

There will be an virtual (online) COVID-19 Biohackathon from April 5-11,
2020 and the Debian Med team invite you help us improve biomedical FOSS
and the tools/libraries that support those projects.

Most tasks do not require any knowledge of biology or medicine, and all
types of contributions are welcome: bug triage, testing, documentation,
CI, translations, packaging, and code contributions.

1. Debian related bugs are viewable at [covid19-bugs]

2. Software awaiting packaging is listed at [covid-19-packages], please
respond to the RFP with your intent so we don't duplicate work

3. You can also contribute directly to the upstream packages, linked
from the Debian Med COVID-19 task page at [covid-19-packages]. Note:
many biomedical software packages are quite resource limited, even
compared to a typical FOSS project. Please be kind to the upstream
author/maintainers and realize that they may have limited resources to
review your contribution. Triaging open issues and opening pull requests
to fix problems is likely to be more useful than nitpicking their coding
style.

4. Architectures/porting: Please focus on amd64, as it is the primary
architecture for biomedical software. A secondary tier would be arm64 /
ppc64el / s390x (but beware the endian-related issues on s390x). From a
free/open hardware perspective it would be great to see more riscv64
support, but that is not a priority right now

5. The Debian Med team is also trying to improve the availability of
automated biomedical pipelines/workflows [robust-workflows] using the
Common Workflow Language open standard. The reference implementation of
CWL is written in Python and there are many open issues ready for work
that don't require any biomedical background [cwltool-issues]

6. It is very easy to contribute to Debian Med team. We have a lowNMU
policy for all our packages. Merge requests on Salsa are usually
processed quickly (but please ping some of the latest Uploaders of the
package to make sure it will be noticed). Even better if you ask for
membership to the team and push directly to the salsa repository.

7. The [debian-med-team-policy] should answer all questions how to
contribute.

The main COVID-19 biohackathon is being organized at [covid-19-bh20] and
for Debian's participation we are using [salsa-covid-19-bh20]

[covid-19-bugs] https://blends.debian.org/med/bugs/covid-19.html

[covid-19-packages] https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/covid-19

[covid-19-bh20] https://github.com/virtual-biohackathons/covid-19-bh20

[salsa-covid-19-bh20]
https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/2020-covid19-hackathon

[robust-workflows] https://doi.org/10.1007/s41019-017-0050-4

[cwltool-issues] https://github.com/common-workflow-language/cwltool/issues

[COVID-19-advice]
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

[debian-med-team-policy] https://med-team.pages.debian.net/policy/

Sincerely,

Michael R. Crusoe on behalf of the Debian-Med team

(and Andreas Tille on behalf of Michael R. Crusoe ;-) )

--
Michael R. Crusoe

----- End forwarded message -----

--
http://fam-tille.de

Re: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)

Andreas Tille-5
Hi Otto,

please excuse my freedom to forward my answer to our mailing list.
However, we are a team and are working in the open and your link might
interest others as well.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 10:16:13PM +0200, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> We started this project a week ago:
>
> https://gitlab.com/fevermap/fevermap
> https://fevermap.net/
>
> Do you think this would be interesting for Debian?

Thank you for this interesting link.  While the App is for Smartphones
the Server side could probably of some interest.  I admit I don't know
much about flask but at least the flask requirements specified in the
API metadata[1] are packaged for Debian.  This is not the case for

    uwsgi
    mysqlclient
    dataclasses

at least not at first sight (I'm astonished that I can not find anything
for MySQL/MariaDB for Python in Debian).  So may be we could start
packaging this for the moment but we are at the collection phase and it
depends how many helping hands we can get - so no promises.

As a hint for you:  The project reminds me about the German project

    https://grippeweb.rki.de/

So if someone in the team might understand German it might be
interesting what symptoms are asked for here.  While it is targeting at
Influenza it is probably worth a detailed look.

Thanks again for your hint, we'll keep a record of it and keep on the
good work

      Andreas.

[1] https://gitlab.com/fevermap/fevermap/-/blob/master/api/requirements.txt

http://fam-tille.de

Re: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)

Olek Wojnar-9
Hello Debian Med team!

On 3/27/20 3:59 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Dear Debian Community,
>
> There will be an virtual (online) COVID-19 Biohackathon from April 5-11,
> 2020 and the Debian Med team invite you help us improve biomedical FOSS
> and the tools/libraries that support those projects.

I'm so glad that you're doing this and I've very excited to help do my
small part to help! My boss very graciously allowed me to support this
effort next week instead of my normal work. I just requested team
membership on Salsa so that I can be more useful during this effort, and
in the future as well, time allowing.

> Most tasks do not require any knowledge of biology or medicine, and all
> types of contributions are welcome: bug triage, testing, documentation,
> CI, translations, packaging, and code contributions.

Speaking of being more useful, in addition to Debian and engineering
experience, I actually do have a Biology (and Pre-Med) undergrad degree
so I know enough to be dangerous. ;) In all seriousness, since I am
conversant in the Bio-Med world, what do you most need help with that
would benefit from someone who has a little background? Happy to help
with anything, but I want to help you have the best-possible impact!

Looking forward to helping next week!!

-Olek

Re: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)

Andreas Tille-5
Hi Olek,

On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 03:50:31PM -0400, Olek Wojnar wrote:
> > There will be an virtual (online) COVID-19 Biohackathon from April 5-11,
> > 2020 and the Debian Med team invite you help us improve biomedical FOSS
> > and the tools/libraries that support those projects.
>
> I'm so glad that you're doing this and I've very excited to help do my
> small part to help! My boss very graciously allowed me to support this
> effort next week instead of my normal work. I just requested team
> membership on Salsa so that I can be more useful during this effort, and
> in the future as well, time allowing.

I've just granted you commit access by accepting your membership to the
team.  Welcome here.

> > Most tasks do not require any knowledge of biology or medicine, and all
> > types of contributions are welcome: bug triage, testing, documentation,
> > CI, translations, packaging, and code contributions.
>
> Speaking of being more useful, in addition to Debian and engineering
> experience, I actually do have a Biology (and Pre-Med) undergrad degree
> so I know enough to be dangerous. ;) In all seriousness, since I am
> conversant in the Bio-Med world, what do you most need help with that
> would benefit from someone who has a little background? Happy to help
> with anything, but I want to help you have the best-possible impact!

Cool.  Feel free to join us on the communication channels mentioned on
the coordination wiki page

    https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/2020-covid19-hackathon/-/wikis/Covid-19-hackathon

> Looking forward to helping next week!!

Yep, looking forward as well

     Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020))

Andreas Tille-5

there will be a formal summary of our sprint which I'd describe with the
short summary that we have approached in one week more than in usual two
monthes work.  Thanks a lot to all who contributed - especially thanks
for an enormous support from ftpmaster (we had huge batches of accepted
packages in less than 24 hours!)

Since the COVID-19 situation is by no means settled and as usual
successful work tends to create even more work we want to continue our
effort.  So those who are interested to contribute the contact points
below remain valid.  We also want to continue with video meetings.  As a
first date we try an end-of-week meeting on Fridays (I'm open for better
suggestions why Friday is not so good and a different day of week should
be choosen).  Here is a poll for the exact time for next Friday:

      http://whenisgood.net/hd53twx

Looking forward to see you next Friday

      Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Videoconference today 2020-04-17 18:00 UTC (Was: For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)))

Andreas Tille-5
Hi,

according to the poll results the best time today seems to be 18:00 UTC.
Feel free to check

    https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Debian+CoViD-19+Biohackathon+Video+Conference&iso=20200417T20&p1=37&ah=1

for your time zone.  The Jitsi channel will remain the one used in the
official sprint period:

    https://meet.jit.si/DebianMedCovid19

See you later

    Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Videoconference today 2020-04-24 18:00 UTC (Was: For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)))

Andreas Tille-5
Hi,

sorry, I missed to set a new poll for todays Debian Med meeting so I
simply suggest to stick to 18:00 UTC which worked out nicely last week.
Feel free to check

     https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Debian+CoViD-19+Biohackathon+Video+Conference&iso=20200424T20&p1=37&ah=1

for your time zone.  The Jitsi channel will remain the one used in the
official sprint period:

     https://meet.jit.si/DebianMedCovid19

See you later hopefully

     Andreas.

PS: For those who are seriously interested and who can not make it at
    this time please let me know in private mail.  I'll setup a new
    poll for next week then.

http://fam-tille.de

Videoconference on Friday 2020-05-01 18:00 UTC (Was: For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)))

Andreas Tille-5
Hi,

for those who would like to join ur next videomeeting it will happen at

   https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Debian+CoViD-19+Biohackathon+Video+Conference&iso=20200501T20&p1=37&ah=1

in the Jitsi channel

http://fam-tille.de

Re: Videoconference on Friday 2020-05-01 18:00 UTC (Was: For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)))

Andreas Tille-5
Hi,

for those who would like to join our next videomeeting it will happen at

    https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Debian+CoViD-19+Biohackathon+Video+Conference&iso=20200515T20&p1=37&ah=1

in the Jitsi channel

http://fam-tille.de

Re: Videoconference on Friday 2020-05-22 18:00 UTC (Was: For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)))

Andreas Tille-5
Hi,

for those who would like to join our next videomeeting it will happen at

    https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Debian+CoViD-19+Biohackathon+Video+Conference&iso=20200522T20&p1=37&ah=1

in the Jitsi channel

    https://meet.jit.si/DebianMedCovid19

These weekly video meetings were started in the Debian Med
Biohackathon[1].  The topic is what contributors have done in the past
week and to coordinate the work for next week.  Despite the one week
of hackathon is over Covid-19 is not and there is a lot of remaining
work to do.  Newcomers are always welcome.

See you

       Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2020/03/msg00010.html

http://fam-tille.de

Videoconference today Friday 2020-05-29 18:00 UTC (Was: For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)))

Andreas Tille-5
Hi,

for those who would like to join our next videomeeting it will happen at

     https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Debian+CoViD-19+Biohackathon+Video+Conference&iso=20200529T20&p1=37&ah=1

in the Jitsi channel

     https://meet.jit.si/DebianMedCovid19

These weekly video meetings were started in the Debian Med
Biohackathon[1].  The topic is what contributors have done in the past
week and to coordinate the work for next week.  Despite the one week
of hackathon is over Covid-19 is not and there is a lot of remaining
work to do.  Newcomers are always welcome.

BTW, we are discussing another dedicated COVID-19 sprint week.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: Videoconference today Friday 2020-06-05 18:00 UTC (Was: For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)))

Andreas Tille-5
Hi,

for those who would like to join our next videomeeting it will happen at

     https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Debian+CoViD-19+Biohackathon+Video+Conference&iso=20200605T20&p1=37&ah=1

Please note:  The MiniDebConf online has proven that the Jitsi instance
running by Debian Social team works nicely so from today on we'll meet
here:

     https://jitsi.debian.social/DebianMedCovid19

BTW, if you want to watch my talk I gave at MiniDebConf online right
about the topic ouf our sprint you can find my concept text online[0].
The video is linked from there as well.  (Sorry about the 5-10min
interruption.  Since five years we had the first power cut-off right
in the time when I was speaking - Murphy is calling ...)

[0] https://people.debian.org/~tille/talks/20200531_minidebconf_online/

http://fam-tille.de

Videoconference today Friday 2020-06-12 18:00 UTC (Was: For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)))

Andreas Tille-5
Hi,

for those who would like to join our next videomeeting it will happen at

     https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Debian+CoViD-19+Biohackathon+Video+Conference&iso=20200612T20&p1=37&ah=1

As last week we will use

     https://jitsi.debian.social/DebianMedCovid19

These weekly video meetings were started in the Debian Med
Biohackathon[1].  The topic is what contributors have done in the past
week and to coordinate the work for next week.  Despite the one week of
hackathon is over Covid-19 is not and there is a lot of remaining work
to do.  Newcomers are always welcome.

See you

       Andreas.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2020/03/msg00010.html

http://fam-tille.de

http://fam-tille.de

Videoconference today Friday 2020-06-26 18:00 UTC (Was: For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)))

Andreas Tille-5

for those who would like to join our next videomeeting it will happen at

     https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Debian+CoViD-19+Biohackathon+Video+Conference&iso=20200626T20&p1=37&ah=1

As last week we will use

http://fam-tille.de

Videoconference Friday 2020-07-03 18:00 UTC (Was: For those who want to keep on contributing (Was: Debian @ COVID-19 Biohackathon (April 5-11, 2020)))

Andreas Tille-5
Hi,

for those who would like to join our next videomeeting it will happen at

     https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Debian+CoViD-19+Biohackathon+Video+Conference&iso=20200703T20&p1=37&ah=1

As last week we will use

     https://jitsi.debian.social/DebianMedCovid19

These weekly video meetings were started in the Debian Med
Biohackathon[1].  The topic is what contributors have done in the past
week and to coordinate the work for next week.  Despite the one week of
hackathon is over Covid-19 is not and there is a lot of remaining work
to do.  Newcomers are always welcome.

See you

       Andreas.

PS: I personally cannot attend this meeting tomorrow.