Debian Consultants Page

James Bromberger-4
Hello all,

As has been mentioned on list several times, the Debian Consultants page is a seldom-updated list that has many ommissions. It was mentioned on list recently about having more fine grained data to select a consultant, such as skill sets, etc.

I've started to hack on a replacement set of scripts and DB as a proof of concept, and wanted to gether requirements. I've extracted the current data from the web site, and imported it into my database. I've then run a link check for each organisation/individual's listed URL: 76 (around 10.6%) are not returning content with a 2XX response code; one of the maintenance jobs is to do a link check on every entry (at most once every week) to ensure that the URL is still up; and disable the entry from display if its down. This helps remove idle/discontinued organisations.

I'm keen to get additional requirements from people for this list - please let me know. I wanted to do a Google Maps mash up so you see where people are, as well as apply filters to the list of entries in the browser...

The current page is available in 14 languages, and I'm keen to keep these and potentially expand it.

  James

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Web: www.jamesbromberger.com, Email: sales_AT_jamesbromberger.com
Linux, MySQL, Perl architecture, development & administration.
ABN 25951397965

Re: Debian Consultants Page

Alexander Hu-2
Hello James,

then PLEASE have a look at the outstanding requests.
I was listed 1 year ago as debian consultant, from then to now i just got deleted.
No mail, why i got deleted.

My website is up and running, so this can't have beed the issue :-P

Greetings

Alex

Am Donnerstag, den 23.02.2012 um 11:35 schrieb James Bromberger:

> Hello all,
>
> As has been mentioned on list several times, the Debian Consultants page
> is a seldom-updated list that has many ommissions. It was mentioned on
> list recently about having more fine grained data to select a
> consultant, such as skill sets, etc.
>
> I've started to hack on a replacement set of scripts and DB as a proof
> of concept, and wanted to gether requirements. I've extracted the
> current data from the web site, and imported it into my database. I've
> then run a link check for each organisation/individual's listed URL: 76
> (around 10.6%) are not returning content with a 2XX response code; one
> of the maintenance jobs is to do a link check on every entry (at most
> once every week) to ensure that the URL is still up; and disable the
> entry from display if its down. This helps remove idle/discontinued
> organisations.
>
> I'm keen to get additional requirements from people for this list -
> please let me know. I wanted to do a Google Maps mash up so you see
> where people are, as well as apply filters to the list of entries in the
> browser...
>
> The current page is available in 14 languages, and I'm keen to keep
> these and potentially expand it.
>
>   James

----------
opensource company
Alexander Hu
Skuhrov 4
CZ 56002 Česká Třebová

Telefon:
--- --- ---
0042 - 046 330 59 60 - Festnetz Tschechien
0049 - 9373 59 70 10 - Festnetz Deutschland
0044 - 20 305 11 991 - Festnetz Großbritanien
0039 - 069 165 05 467 - Festnetz Italien

http://www.opensource-company.de

DIČ / VAT-ID / Ust-IdNr.:
CZ 682 737 330
IČ: 74797212
Gerichtsstand Česká Třebová

Re: Debian Consultants Page

MJ Ray-2
James Bromberger <[hidden email]>
> I'm keen to get additional requirements from people for this list -
> please let me know. I wanted to do a Google Maps mash up so you see
> where people are, as well as apply filters to the list of entries in the
> browser...

OK, this sounds like a great idea and was on a couple of people's
wishlists this week, so additional requirements. Please could you:

 - use FOSS resources as far as possible:

   - use openstreetmap instead of Google Maps, for example;

   - if you're starting from the current consultants page, I guess its
licence (and maybe soon relicensing) is involved;

 - random result ordering by default;

 - offer database downloads:

   - native format, whatever that is;

   - debian consultants page format - I know this would probably lose
some of the new data or structure but it would be nice to keep the
historic data updated just in case the new version ever goes away, but
maybe we should not display it once the new version is ready.  I
believe I have access to update the website and I think I'll ask work
to give me some time to do it.  If anyone would like to help fund the
co-ops community work, please email me off-list for a donation link.

 - meets Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0.

Hope that helps,
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and library systems developer.

Re: Debian Consultants Page [reason for deletion]

MJ Ray-2
Alexander Hu <[hidden email]>
> then PLEASE have a look at the outstanding requests.
> I was listed 1 year ago as debian consultant, from then to now i just got deleted.
> No mail, why i got deleted.
>
> My website is up and running, so this can't have beed the issue :-P

I've not been involved in the request handling, but have you looked
at the cvsweb log to see the log message when you were removed?
If so, can you post a link to it, please?

I think there was an email ping of consultants a while ago and anyone
that didn't reply in 4(?) weeks was removed.  Are you saying that you
got deleted because you didn't list an email address?

Hope that helps,
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and library systems developer.

Re: Debian Consultants Page [reason for deletion]

Alexander Hu-2
Hello MJ,

> I've not been involved in the request handling, but have you looked
> at the cvsweb log to see the log message when you were removed?
> If so, can you post a link to it, please?
>
> I think there was an email ping of consultants a while ago and anyone
> that didn't reply in 4(?) weeks was removed.  Are you saying that you
> got deleted because you didn't list an email address?
>
> Hope that helps,

where to find this log?
Also, even if i got deleted while some mail issues (or whatever), it is very funny that the reinclusion request is still pending ;-)

Greetings

Alex

----------
opensource company
Alexander Hu
Skuhrov 4
CZ 56002 Česká Třebová

Telefon:
--- --- ---
0042 - 046 330 59 60 - Festnetz Tschechien
0049 - 9373 59 70 10 - Festnetz Deutschland
0044 - 20 305 11 991 - Festnetz Großbritanien
0039 - 069 165 05 467 - Festnetz Italien

http://www.opensource-company.de

DIČ / VAT-ID / Ust-IdNr.:
CZ 682 737 330
IČ: 74797212
Gerichtsstand Česká Třebová

Re: Debian Consultants Page [reason for deletion]

Raphael Hertzog-3
Hello,

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Alexander Hu wrote:

> Hello MJ,
>
> > I've not been involved in the request handling, but have you looked
> > at the cvsweb log to see the log message when you were removed?
> > If so, can you post a link to it, please?
> >
> > I think there was an email ping of consultants a while ago and anyone
> > that didn't reply in 4(?) weeks was removed.  Are you saying that you
> > got deleted because you didn't list an email address?
> >
> > Hope that helps,
>
> where to find this log?  Also, even if i got deleted while some mail
> issues (or whatever), it is very funny that the reinclusion request is
> still pending ;-)

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/webwml/webwml/english/consultants/consultant.data?view=log

Commit log of 1.1524 says:

Removed since email bounced on 2010-04-06 and 2011-10-01
[...]
<name    Alexander Hu>
<company Office and IT>
<additional_info office-and-it>