Debian Edu manual Japanese status, and question about gateway and "profiles".

Debian Edu manual Japanese status, and question about gateway and "profiles".

hoxp18
To: Debian Edu team

Greeting.

Manual Translation Report
=========================

It seems I finished the major part translations.
(I "Save"d most of them at Weblate this time,
  except LDAP related translations.)

Copyright and history sections still have
no translations a lot; I'll do that later. maybe.

2019-05-13 version will be in almost ja, I hope.

My plan
-------

And, my new hardware test finished successfully.

So, next week, I would start building my own testing
Debian Edu env, using the "translated" manual as possible,
to verify the content at once.

Question about gateway using Debian Edu Minimal

When I checked the "gateway howto" script, I found this.

$ apt-file show debian-edu-config | grep nat
debian-edu-config: /etc/init.d/enable-nat

I think following the manual to build amd64 gateway
using Debian Edu would makes things easy and simple,
and I'll do in the way;

Even so, here is what I want to ask,
just because I'm curious about it.

Q: What is the pros of using Debian Edu for gateway?
    (except the setting script and the nat-service above)

    some kind of admin such as syslog become more friendly?

Question about (translation of) "Profiles"

Q: Should profile names have "translated names"?

    IMHO they should be English, from 2 reasons.
    * It would make "machine or profile" explicit.
    * Considering some locale C ttys and PXE menu.

Q: Should profile names have explicit "profile" post-fixes?

    Say, "Main Server Profile", "LTSP Server Profile".

    It may help users not to be confused about
    "Is this main server means the machine, or profile?"

Regards.

Re: Debian Edu manual Japanese status, and question about gateway and "profiles".

Wolfgang Schweer-3
Hi hoxp18,

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 07:25:31PM +0900, hoxp18 wrote:
> Manual Translation Report
> =========================
>
> It seems I finished the major part translations.
> (I "Save"d most of them at Weblate this time,
>  except LDAP related translations.)

That's very good news. Thank you so much.

> Copyright and history sections still have
> no translations a lot; I'll do that later. maybe.
>
> 2019-05-13 version will be in almost ja, I hope.

Great.

> My plan
> -------
>
> And, my new hardware test finished successfully.
>
> So, next week, I would start building my own testing
> Debian Edu env, using the "translated" manual as possible,
> to verify the content at once.

That's a good idea.

> Question about gateway using Debian Edu Minimal
>
> When I checked the "gateway howto" script, I found this.
>
> $ apt-file show debian-edu-config | grep nat
> debian-edu-config: /etc/init.d/enable-nat
>
> I think following the manual to build amd64 gateway
> using Debian Edu would makes things easy and simple,
> and I'll do in the way;
>
> Even so, here is what I want to ask,
> just because I'm curious about it.
>
> Q: What is the pros of using Debian Edu for gateway?
>    (except the setting script and the nat-service above)
Nothing else, I guess. It's intended as help for users.

> Question about (translation of) "Profiles"
>
> Q: Should profile names have "translated names"?

Yes. Please use/keep the translations that are used during system setup,
see:
https://salsa.debian.org/debian-edu/debian-edu-install/raw/master/debian/po/ja.po

>    IMHO they should be English, from 2 reasons.
>    * It would make "machine or profile" explicit.
>    * Considering some locale C ttys and PXE menu.

No, please see above.

> Q: Should profile names have explicit "profile" post-fixes?
>
>    Say, "Main Server Profile", "LTSP Server Profile".

No, in the manual it should rather be "Main-Server" profile,
"LTSP-Server" profile with those terms translated to ja like already
existent.

>    It may help users not to be confused about
>    "Is this main server means the machine, or profile?"

If you find related text in the manual, please report it.

Thanks for your work, really awesome!

Wolfgang

Re: Debian Edu manual Japanese status, and question about gateway and "profiles".

hoxp18
Dear Wolfgang Schweer,

On 5/11/19 12:50 AM, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:

>> Question about gateway using Debian Edu Minimal
>>
>> When I checked the "gateway howto" script, I found this.
>>
>> $ apt-file show debian-edu-config | grep nat
>> debian-edu-config: /etc/init.d/enable-nat
>>
>> I think following the manual to build amd64 gateway
>> using Debian Edu would makes things easy and simple,
>> and I'll do in the way;
>>
>> Even so, here is what I want to ask,
>> just because I'm curious about it.
>>
>> Q: What is the pros of using Debian Edu for gateway?
>>     (except the setting script and the nat-service above)
>
> Nothing else, I guess. It's intended as help for users.

Got it. I'll keep using Debian Edu gateway for a while.
In the future, perhaps I replace it pure Debian with iptables.

>> Question about (translation of) "Profiles"
>>
>> Q: Should profile names have "translated names"?
>
> Yes. Please use/keep the translations that are used during system setup,
> see:
> https://salsa.debian.org/debian-edu/debian-edu-install/raw/master/debian/po/ja.po

Oh, shame. That's what I should/need/have-to read it!
Thank you for telling!

>>     IMHO they should be English, from 2 reasons.
>>     * It would make "machine or profile" explicit.
>>     * Considering some locale C ttys and PXE menu.
>
> No, please see above.
>
>> Q: Should profile names have explicit "profile" post-fixes?
>>
>>     Say, "Main Server Profile", "LTSP Server Profile".
>
> No, in the manual it should rather be "Main-Server" profile,
> "LTSP-Server" profile with those terms translated to ja like already
> existent.
>
>>     It may help users not to be confused about
>>     "Is this main server means the machine, or profile?"
>
> If you find related text in the manual, please report it.

Ack. This weekend I'll re-check those terms in the manual
which does not match with the installer po file.

> Thanks for your work, really awesome!
>
> Wolfgang

Great thanks for you, too!