Debian HURD is not booting after install in Virtual Box VM

Debian HURD is not booting after install in Virtual Box VM

Jeffrey Walton-3
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to install HURD into a Virtual Box VM on Windows. I've run
through the process three times with the following HURD options:

* Desktop Environment (GNOME), SSH Server, System Utilities
* Desktop Environment (MATE), SSH Server, System Utilities
* SSH Server, System Utilities (no desktop environment )

Each of the installs complete successfully, including fetching latest
packages from a mirror. However the first boot after install hangs
just after the ISC code/DHCP code attempts to do its thing. Looking at
my DHCP server I don't see the hostname registered with an address, so
I'm guessing that's about where the problem lies.

There's nothing special about Virtual Box on this machine. It has
about 45 VMs, including Debian 6 through 8 in both 32-bit and 64-bit
flavors. None of the VMs have a problem.

The HURD ISO was downloaded from
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/current-hurd-i386/iso-dvd/ .
It is named debian-hurd-2017-i386-DVD-1.iso and dated 2017-06-13. The
installer updated the installation during install and I have no idea
of what was pulled in.

It would be helpful if someone would look at the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Debian HURD is not booting after install in Virtual Box VM

Samuel Thibault-8
Hello,

Jeffrey Walton, le sam. 02 févr. 2019 14:19:24 -0500, a ecrit:
> I'm trying to install HURD into a Virtual Box VM on Windows.

I don't think anybody tried that setup.

> The HURD ISO was downloaded from
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/current-hurd-i386/iso-dvd/ .

You could perhaps try a more recent image as taken from

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/latest/hurd-i386/20181118/

Samuel

Re: Debian HURD is not booting after install in Virtual Box VM

Amos Jeffries-2
On 3/02/19 11:27 am, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jeffrey Walton, le sam. 02 févr. 2019 14:19:24 -0500, a ecrit:
>> I'm trying to install HURD into a Virtual Box VM on Windows.
>
> I don't think anybody tried that setup.

This was the setup I was working with some years ago. The same issue
occured on first install of the Debian's (then) latest image download link.

VirtualBox requires the VM to be 32-bit with the same extensions pack
installed as if a standard Linux Debian VM was to be used. Without these
a pile of confusing device issues occur.

Using a command line manual settrans for the NIC translator[1] instead
of automatic detection by the installer seemed to resolve the issue.
Once that is in place repeat the network setup step(s). Their automatic
detection should work fine the second time around.

The issue did not reappear for me with newer images re-install so am not
completely sure if it was an image or Debian Installer issue.

Unfortunately that Windows box is long gone so I have not been able to
check the latest network LWIP or libc updates in the area and cannot
provide more help than this old memory. Good luck.

[1] similar to the settrans described at
<http://web.walfield.org/pub/people/neal/papers/hurd-installation-guide/english/hurd-install-guide.html#SEC7>.

Amos

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 10:24 PM Amos Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/02/19 11:27 am, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> >
> > Jeffrey Walton, le sam. 02 févr. 2019 14:19:24 -0500, a ecrit:
> >> I'm trying to install HURD into a Virtual Box VM on Windows.
> >
> > I don't think anybody tried that setup.
> >

> This was the setup I was working with some years ago. The same issue
> occured on first install of the Debian's (then) latest image download link.
>
> VirtualBox requires the VM to be 32-bit with the same extensions pack
> installed as if a standard Linux Debian VM was to be used. Without these
> a pile of confusing device issues occur.

Thanks.

I found I could work around it by inserting a CD if one was not
present (or ejecting one if present). I guess it has something to do
with udev being able to move the computer to a new state that allows
it to boot.

No logs to provide at the moment, though. There's no dmesg, and trying
to read /dev/klog crashes:

    $ dmesg
    -bash: dmesg: command not found
    $ cat /dev/klog
    cat: /dev/klog: Computer bought the farm

Does anyone know how to view system logs on this OS?

Jeff

Jeffrey Walton, le dim. 03 févr. 2019 00:34:46 -0500, a ecrit:
> No logs to provide at the moment, though. There's no dmesg, and trying
> to read /dev/klog crashes:
>
>     $ dmesg
>     -bash: dmesg: command not found
>     $ cat /dev/klog
>     cat: /dev/klog: Computer bought the farm

You need to read /dev/klog as root.

It's odd that you get this error, it should have been a permission
denied error, that'd need to be hunted down.

Samuel

Re: Debian HURD is not booting after install in Virtual Box VM

Joshua Branson-2
Jeffrey Walton <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 10:24 PM Amos Jeffries <[hidden email]> wrote:

Also you might check out qemu.  Most Hurd people run the Hurd in qemu,
which tends to be much more performent than Virtual Box. :)

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus